History of Brown Township, Hendricks County,
From: History of Hendricks County, Indiana
Hon. John V. Hadley, Editor in Chief.
B. F. Bowen & Co., Inc.
Indianapolis, Indiana 1914
In the extreme northeast corner of Hendricks county lies Brown township, comprising about twenty five square miles of land in townships 16 and 17 north, ranges 1 and 2 east. On the north the township is bounded by Boone county, on the east by Marion county, on the south by Lincoln township and on the west by Middle township. White Lick creek, passing through the western side of the township, drains the largest portion of the land, although Eagle creek carries a large quantity of water from the high country along the eastern border. The soil of Brown township is rich and productive, the nature of the ground being rolling. The central portion is for the most part very level and, before the excellent system of drainage used today, was swampy and of little value. The clay and alluvial soil found in Brown township is without a superior in the county or middle Indiana and is now worth a high price per acre. Practically every acre is under cultivation and made to yield to the utmost of its productiveness without impoverishing the soil.
Until the year 1863 Brown township included what is now Lincoln township. Brown township was named after James Brown, who was the first settler within its boundary. David Sparks, however, was the first white man in this territory; he came in the year 1827, three years before any definite settlement had been made in this portion of the county. Owing to the unfortunate location of the township it has no railroad or interurban line, 'but the general fertility of its soil largely makes up for this deficiency.
The first general election in Brown township was in 1828. From the poll book and tally sleet the following is taken: "At an Election held at the house of James Brown on the 4th day of August 1828 for the purpos of Electing one Govinor one Lieutenant Govinor one Representator to Congress one Sinitor one representative to State Legislater one Coiner the following is a list of the number of votes taken and also the number Each Candidate receivs." There were twelve voters at this election, namely : James Brown, Joseph Runion, Joshua Newham, William Harris, Thomas Nash, Daniel. Newham, George Tyler, James R. Smith, Shannon Foster, Edward Rails back, Jesse Smith and Nathaniel W. Hulls. Politically, the township has been strongly Democratic from the beginning.
BROWN TOWNSHIP IN 1914.
The statement has been made that Brown township holds a singular place among the other townships, by not having
the usual transportation facilities and the lack of towns. This fact by no means is evidence that the township
is behind the others. The farmers are intelligent and capable and the farms they manage are modern and well kept.
The science of agriculture has not been a neglected art in this locality, in fact it has been much encouraged,
and the tiller of the soil embraces every opportunity to improve his knowledge of the best methods of cultivation.