History of Lincoln Township, Hendricks County,
From: History of Hendricks County, Indiana
Hon. John V. Hadley, Editor in Chief.
B. F. Bowen & Co., Inc.
Indianapolis, Indiana 1914
Lincoln township is located on the eastern boundary of Hendricks county, bounded on the north by Brown and Middle townships, on the east by Marion county, on the south by Washington township and on the west by Middle township. The township was organized in 1863, by a division of Brown township into two parts. White Lick, flowing through the western part, breaks the otherwise altost level ground of the township. The land along this stream valley is rolling and very fertile. The level portion of the area is of rich, alluvial quality in most places, but in spots is composed of clay, which is not highly productive. Plenty of timber once covered the land in this township, but, as in other parts of Hendricks, this has been removed from the path of cultivation.
In the autumn of 1824 James Brown made the first settlement in the territory destined to become Lincoln township.
After him and previous to the year 183o came G. W. Tyler, William Harris, Daniel and Thomas Newman, Daniel Brown,
William Merritt, Robison Turin, Caleb Shirley, John Given, Larkin Dollahite, James Shirley, Thomas Nash, Harvey
and T. H. Barlow, the latter settling with their father, Enoch, in 1828, just outside the limits of Brownsburg.
In 1830 and immediate years Asa McDaniel and sons, Joel Smith and sons and Peter Metsker located in the vicinity
Although one of the smallest townships in the county, Lincoln is important. Agriculture is the main industry and in the town of Brownsburg there is strong evidence of civic and commercial pride. Two railroads and one interurban line increase the value of the township land, together with the good roads, the latter an universal feature of the entire county. The country bears the mark of improvement and modem life and is an example of the qualities which have made Indiana one of the first states in the Union. Good farms, schools, homes, roads, telephones, fences, drainage system, are but a few of the factors which make Lincoln township today a first class one.
The town of Brownsburg is located on section 11, in the northern part of Lincoln township. The town was laid
out by William Harris in 1835 and first named Harrisburg, but upon the establishment of the postoffice was changed
to the present name. B. M. Logan was the first merchant in the town.
The present population of Brownsburg is about nine hundred, the official census in 1910 having been eight hundred
seventy six. The only public utility at present in the town is that of electricity, which service is supplied by
the Danville Light, Heat and Power Company. There is a branch factory of the Ladoga Canning Company, a tile factory,
grist mill and saw mill in the list of industries. Brownsburg is the only town in Hendricks county at this date
which allows licensed sale of liquor.