History of Marion Township, Hendricks County,
From: History of Hendricks County, Indiana
Hon. John V. Hadley, Editor in Chief.
B. F. Bowen & Co., Inc.
Indianapolis, Indiana 1914
The boundaries of Marion township are as follows: On the north by Eel River township, on the east by Center and Clay, on the south by Clay and on the west by Putnam county. The surface in most places is undulating and in some spots flat. There is a clayey subsoil throughout the entire township, making the ground more productive for the raising of grasses and thus making the business of stock raising equal to crop cultivation as the principal industry. There are no large streams, but several small ones flowing toward the two creeks, Mill and Eel river.
Marion township was settled later than most of the other townships, due to its position in the middle west of the county. Naturally the tide of immigration first touched the southern parts of the county, along the main stream channels, and Marion township was then considered a remote district. It was not until two years after the organization of the county, which was in 1824, that permanent settlements were made here. The first settlers were Thomas Samuels, Xury West, John and Isaac Hays, Daniel, Thomas and David Higgins. who settled in the township from 1826 to 1827. From 1828 to 1832 Paul Faught, Moses Cavett, William Blackketter, William and Harvey Buntain, G. W. Turner, Wesley Morgan, Peter Vannice, Thomas Chadd, John Hancock, James McCown and William Hays settled in different portions of the township.
The poll book of the general election held August 3, 1836, at New Villiamsburgh gives the names of thirty one
voters. They are as follows: William Hodges, Elijah Sutton, David Fox, Henry Tomlinson, William Bailey, Abraham
Lewis, Alexander Bryant, William Tomlinson, James Turner, Bradford Samuel, R. W. Shannon, Jeremiah Culbertson,
Joseph Lewis, Jr., James Maccoun, John Higgins, Jacob Fox, Henry Bland, William Hayworth, John Mahan, John Robins,
Jordan Denny, William Robins, John Vicory, Joseph Robins, Wesley Morgan, Hiram Tomlinson, B. S. B. Parker, Moses
Tomlinson, Jeremiah Hunt, Martin Hancock and Thomas Higgins.
MARION TOWNSHIP IN 1914.
The intelligent cultivation of the soil, the pride in home, and the striving for better things and higher ideals, the qualities which characterize a prosperous and modern community, 'are no better exemplified than among the people of Marion township. The accomplishments of the people of this civil division of Hendricks county are testimonials to this condition. To the observer much seems to have been done in the last score of years. Roads have been built up, new farming methods have been adopted, schools have been improved, elegant residences have been constructed, churches have been increasing, telephones installed, and numerous other things added in order to keep step with the progress of civilization.
New Winchester was laid out in 1832 by Wesley Morgan and James Bronaugh. It is located a little west of the center of Marion township and is seven miles west of Danville, on the Rockville road. The town today is very small, having but a hundred inhabitants. The most attractive feature of the town is the new brick school house, containing the high school, erected in 1908 at a cost of twenty thousand dollars.