The village of Ashland is situated in Liberty Township, three and one half miles east and one half mile south
of east from the court house in New Castle, on the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis railway and one
half mile north of the New Castle and Hagerstown Pike. Ashland was never laid out and platted into lots, the real
estate in the village being described only by metes and bounds. It was first known as Mullen's Station, taking
its name from the well known family of that name, old pioneers, who were for so many years prominent in eastern
Henry and western Liberty townships. Many of their descendants are yet living in Henry, Liberty and perhaps other
townships of the county.
Mullen's Station was the first railroad station for New Castle. the old Cincinnati, Logansport and Chicago railway
having been completed to this point early in 1854, perhaps late in 1853, and until the road was finally completed
to New Castle in the Summer of 1854, all the business for the new railroad, which later came to New Castle. was
transacted at Mullen's Station. To this point stock was driven to he shipped to Cincinnati, goods were wagoned
from there to be distributed to other points throughout the country and people went there to take the train to
Cincinnati and other points. The postoffice was established in 18J5, David Millikan being the first postmaster.
and the name of the village being changed to Ashland.
Before removal to its present site this postoffice was for many years a country neighborhood affair located at
the respective houses of the successive postmasters, near the present location of the station of Messick on the
Big Four railway and was then as now called Messick.
Ashland has never been incorporated, therefore its population. as shown by the census of 1900, is included in that
of Liberty Township. (See Chapter XXXVIII). The name probably came from Ashland, Ohio. from the fact that, at the
time the name was changed, some of the most enterprising citizens of the village had once lived in the town and
county of that name in the "Buckeye" State.
A list of the postmasters at Ashland. Messick included, from February 26, 1847, to September 14, 1855, when the
office was moved to its present location, will be found on page 34 of this History.
Ashland and Millville are the only postoffices in Liberty Township. Aside from Chicago which was discontinued March
24, 1855, and Devon. which was discontinued February 13, 1868. they are the only postoffice that have ever been
in the township.
Blountsville, situated in Stony Creek Township. twelve miles due northeast from the court house in New Castle,
being in the W. 1/2 of the N. E. 1/4 of Sec. 35, Tp. 19 N., R. 11 E. was laid out and platted by Thomas R. Stanford,
Surveyor, in July. 1832. and acknowledged by Andrew D. Blount. proprietor, September 5, 1833. The main street running
east and west was then designated as "The Logansport and Richmond Road," the road running south on the
west line of the town as "The Centreville Road." The original plat contains twenty six lots, no blocks
The first addition, situated immediately south of the original plat. was platted June 14, 1853, and was acknowledged
by Beale Manifold, proprietor, January 26, 1854, and contains twelve lots, no blocks designate&
The Northeastern, the second addition, situated immediately east of the original plat and Manifold's addition,
was platted and acknowledged by Jonathan Ross, Jesse Cary, William Lister, Daniel Baiter, J. W. Stanley, John Houk
and Leander Priest, proprietors, August 19, 1859. It contains twenty six lots and four out lots; no blocks designated
Blountsville takes its name from Andrew D. Blount, the original proprietor of the townsite. On the county records
showing the filing of the plat. the name is spelled "Blunt." but as far back as the memory of the oldest
inhabitant reaches the name has been uniformly used as "Blount." This place from its inception has always
been the commercial metropolis of our northeastern township. and on account of its close proximity to Delaware
County on the north and Randolph County on the east, its trade has been much increased from those counties.
This place was without railroad facilities until 1902. when the Chicago. Cincinnati and Louisville railway was
built, which in a few years must add to the importance of the village.
Blountsville not being incorporated must be content to be known as a village only. and its population. according
to the census of 190o. is included in that of Stony Creek Township. ( See Chapter XXXVIII.)
A list of the postmasters at Blountsville from the establishment of the postoffice, January 22. 1835. inclusive,
to the present time, will be found on pages 34-5 of this History. Also the name of the only rural route carrier.
Blountsville is the only postoffice now in the township. The only other postoffice ever in the township was Rogersville,
which was discontinued June 15, 1901.
The town of Cadiz is situated in Harrison Township. six miles west and one and one fourth miles north of west
from the court house in New Castle. being in the S. E. 1/4 of Sec. 3. Tp. 17 N., R. 11 E., and was laid out and
platted by David Pickering, proprietor. September 11. 1836. and acknowledged March 22, 1837.
The early emigration to that part of Henry County afterwards formed into Harrison Township was largely from Harrison
County. Ohio. and the town of Cadiz derives its name from the county seat of that county. in this emigration the
Cooper family and their kinsmen, including the Pickerings. were the most numerous. therefore. when it came to establishing
a town. what could be more natural than to adopt the name of the chief town of the county from which they emigrated?
The main street running east and west was designated as "The Crawfordsville and New Castle State Road."
The original plat contains four and one half blocks, consisting of sixteen lots.
The first addition, situated immediately west of the original plat, was platted March 29, 1849. and was acknowledged
by Imla W. Cooper, proprietor, April 7, 1849, and contains four blocks consisting of twelve lots and one out lot.
The second addition, situated immediately east and north of the original plat, was platted November 7, 1849, and
was on the same date acknowledged by David Pickering, proprietor, and contains four blocks, consisting of fifteen
A third addition, situated immediately south of the original plat, was platted February 23, 1855, and was acknowledged
by Jonas Pickering, proprietor, August 10, 1860, and contains but two lots, no blocks designated.
The owner of this addition of two lots only was not ambitious to have his small addition to Cadiz speedily a matter
of official record, for it took him five years and six months to get the matter properly recorded.
David Pickering, the original proprietor, wads the most ambitious of all of the promoters of Cadiz, for the county
records show that on March, 23, 1854, he made another addition situated immediately north of his first addition
to the original plat, the same containing four blocks, consisting of eight lots, but like his neighbor and kinsman,
Jonas Pickering, he was in no hurry to reach the county recorder's office, for it was not until October 3, 1860,
seven years and six months later, that it was recorded.
The population of the town of Cadiz, as shown by the census of 1900, was 253. Although surrounded by a fertile
country and numbering from time to time as it has, some of Henry County's most enterprising and enlightened citizens,
it has never been able to secure railroad facilities. In fact, Harrison Township is the only one of the thirteen
in the county not so far traversed by either steam or electric railway. Surely the repeated efforts of the enterprising
citizens of the township in this direction will in time bear fruit.
A postoffice was established December i8, 1837. A list of the postmasters from that time to the present will be
found on page 35 of this History.
Cadiz is the only postoffice that has ever existed in Harrison Township. There never was a postoffice at the old
town of Woodville, the principal street of which was the boundary line between Harrison and Greensboro townships.
This proposed town was never laid out and platted. It is situated seven and one half miles east and one mile
south from the court house in New Castle, on the New Castle and Hagerstown pike, in Liberty Township. The first
transfer, as shown by the records, was for religious purposes and consisted of one acre, transferred by John McSherley
and Phebe, his wife, to Christopher Main, George Koons and Jesse K. Platts as Trustees for Liberty Church, November
The village is located about two miles southeast of the present site of Millville and a mile south of the railroad.
the building of which seems to have ruined its prospects. At one time it was an ambitious village, numbering a
score or more of houses, one or two stores and two hotels. It is now known as the "Old Chicago Neighborhood."
The people who located Chicago were very ambitious and had visions of a great future, therefore, they named this
place after the then young giant just coming into prominence at the foot of Lake Michigan. A postoffice was established
May 11, 1852 and discontinued March 24, 1855, which is about the time the postoffice at Millville was established.
Three of its prominent citizens served as postmasters. Their names will be found on page 36 of this History.
Chicago is one of the four postoffices that have existed in Liberty Township, the other three being Devon (discontinued),
Ashland and Millville.
This village is on the line between Stony Creek and Blue River townships. nine miles due northeast from the
court house in New Castle, and one and one half miles due north from the present town of Mooreland. The records
do not show that it was ever laid out and platted into town lots.
This place has long since passed from the zenith of its glory and now exists as a village only in the memory of
the oldest citizen. Its former site is now commonly known as "Five Forks," for the reason that the turnpikes
from here lead to five different points of the compass. Circleville never reached the dignity of a postoffice.
Five Forks is adjoined by some of the most fertile and highly improved farms of the county.
The author of this History has been unable to find any old settler who can give a reason why this place was named
The town of Dunreith is situated in Spiceland Township. nine miles south and three and one half miles west from
the court house in New Castle and five miles east from Knightstown, at the crossing of the Pittsburg, Cincinnati,
Chicago and St. Louis railway and the New Castle and Rushville division of the Lake Erie and Western railway, and
at the junction of the New Castle branch with the main line of the Indianapolis and Eastern railway (electric line),
and in the W. 1/2 of the N. E. of Sec. 32. and the W. 1/2 of the S. E. of Sec. 29, Tp. 16 N., R. 10 E. It was laid
out and platted by James M. Cements, Surveyor, for John W. Griffin. Caleb Johnson and Thomas Evans, proprietors,
July 22, i865, and was acknowledged by them July 25, 1865. The main street running east and west was designated
as "The National Road." The original plat contains three blocks consisting of twenty three lots. The
town was first known as Coffin's Station.
On the completion of the old Indiana Central railroad to this point a depot was established here and the place
named after the proprietor of the land. Emery Dunreith Coffin. Soon there began to spring up a little village around
the station. In i865, when the town was first platted as above shown, those interested, particularly John W. Griffin.
decided on a change of name, but out of respect to Mr. Coffin's memory and to preserve his name in connection with
the town, it was called Dunreith.
The first addition, situated northwest of the oriinal plat and on the north side of the National Road, was platted
August 31, 1866, and was on the same date acknowledged by Thomas Evans, proprietor, and contains six blocks, consisting
of thirty six lots.
The second addition, situated immediately north of the original plat, between the National Road and the Pittsburg,
Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis railway, being the narrow strip of land between the principal street and the
railroad and upon which all of the business houses of the town are now situated, was platted and acknowledged by
Timothy Wilson, Caleb Johnson and Thomas Evans December 12, 1866. It contains six lots, no blocks designated.
The Eastern addition, situated immediately north of the Wilson, Johnson and Evans' addition, and east of Evans'
addition on the north side of the National Road, was platted November 16, 1867, and was acknowledged by Christopher
Wilson, proprietor, December 16, 1867; and by Caleb Johnson on the part of C. Johnson and Company, June 5, 1868.
It contains three blocks, consisting of fourteen lots.
An addition, situated immediately north of Evans' addition and east of the turnpike running north to Spiceland,
was platted August 29, 1868, and was acknowledged by Caleb Johnson, proprietor, September 14, 1868, and contains
two blocks, consisting of eleven lots.
Caleb Johnson. who was one of the chief promoters of the town, was for many years its leading merchant. After leaving
the county treasurer's office in August, 1863, he removed to Coffin's Station and established a store. He resided
there until 1879 when, having in the meantime entered the ministry of the Friends' Church, he moved to Lynnville,
Iowa. Afterwards he was a resident of Wichita, Kansas, and Denver, Colorado. He died at the latter place in 1879
and his remains are buried there.
The next addition, situated immediately west of the original plat and south of the old railway, was platted August
8, 1871, and was acknowledged by John W. Griffin, proprietor, August 17, 1871, and contains eight lots, no blocks
The next ambitious proprietor was James M. Crawford. who had Platted May 5, 1883, an addition situated immediately
north of Caleb Johnson's addition, on the east side of the pike running north to Spiceland. It was acknowledged
by him May 19, 1883. and contains one block of six lots.
Joseph Griffin, father of John A., made an addition, situated immediately west of Evans' addition and west of the
pike running north to Spiceland. It was platted July 9, 1883, and was acknowledged by Joseph Griffin, proprietor,
December 11, 1883, and contains two blocks, consisting of seven lots.
Robert M Kenney's north side addition, situated on the extreme north side of the town of Dunreith, between the
New Castle and Rushville railway and the road running north to Spiceland. was platted October 20, 1892 and was
acknowledged by Kenney July 13, 1893. It contains ten and two thirds acres divided into four blocks, consisting
of fifty two lots and two out lots.
A postoffice was established July 2, 1861, then called Coffin's Station. On pages 36-7 of this History will be
found a list of the postmasters for the town as first named and as now named. Also the name of the only rural route
The only postoffices that have ever existed in Spiceland Township are Dunreith, Ogden and Spiceland. and all are
still in existence. The census of 1900 places the population of the town at 20.