The incorporated town of Mooreland is situated in Blue River Township, eight miles northeast from the court
house in New Castle. on the Big Four railway, and is in the E. 1/2 of the N. E. 1/4 of Sec. 22 and the W. 1/2 of
the N. W. 1/4 and the W. 1/2 of the S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 23, Tp. 18 N., R. 11 E., and was laid out and platted by
Daniel K. Cook, Surveyor, and was acknowledged by Miles M. Moore. proprietor, August 9, 1882, and contains four
and eighty seven hundredths acres. divided into two blocks consisting of sixteen lots and one out lot.
Mathew Cory's first addition, situated immediately east of the original Nat, on the east side of Broad Street and
extending south across the railroad, was platted August 26, 1882. and was acknowledged by Cory on the same date,
and contains four blocks, consisting of twenty two lots.
Mathew Cory's second addition, situated immediately east of Cory's first addition. was platted August 8, 1885.
and contains four blocks, consisting of twenty three lots and one out lot.
Mathew Cory's third addition, situated immediately north of Cory's first addition, on the east side of Broad Street.
was platted December 28. 1886. and was acknowledged by Cory on the same date, and' contains twos blocks, consisting
of twelve lots and the schoolhouse lot.
Mathew Cory's fourth addition, situated north and east of Cory's second addition. was platted March 13, 1888, and
was acknowledged by Cory on the same date, and contains three blocks, consisting of sixteen lots and one out lot.
Moore's first addition, situated immediately west of the original Nat and on the north side of the Big Four railway,
was platted March 28. 1888. and was acknowledged by Newton B. Davis. administrator of the estate of Miles M. Moore.
deceased. on the same date, and contains three blocks, consisting of twenty six lots.
Mathew Cory's fifth addition, situated immediately south of Cory's second addition, was platted January 22, 1889,
and was acknowledged by Cory on the same date, and contains two blocks. consisting of sixteen lots.
Eli Hardman's first addition, situated immediately north of the original plat and west of Cory's third addition
and north of Charles Street and west of Broad Street, was platted April 18, 1889, and was acknowledged by Eli Hardman
and Mary Jane Hardman, proprietors, on the same date, and contains twelve acres, divided into five blocks, consisting
of forty four lots and one out lot.
Holliday and Koons' addition, situated immediately east of Cory's third addition and north of Block One of Cory's
fourth addition, was platted June 12, 1901, and was acknowledged by Eli Holliday, George R. Koons and Benjamin
F. Koons, proprietors, on the same date, and contains twenty four lots, no blocks designated.
Mark Huffman's first addition, situated immediately north of Hardman's addition, on the west side of Broad Street,
was platted April 25, 1904, and was acknowledged by Mark Huffman and Mary Huffman, proprietors, on the same date,
and contains four and thirty one hundredths acres, divided into sixteen lots, no blocks designated.
One of the early settlers of Blue River Township and one of the most successful farmers was Philip Moore, who,
dying November 27, 1873, left a valuable estate and a fine farm immediately adjoining the present town of Mooreland.
One of his sons, Miles M., by purchase and inheritance, came into possession of that part of the land from which
the original plat of Mooreland was surveyed, and it is from these facts that the town is named Moreland.
A postoffice was established August 21, 1882. On page 41 of this History will be found a list of the postmasters
and the names of the two rural route carriers connected with that office, one of whom, Henry H. Moore, is a brother
of Miles M., who laid off the town.
Mooreland is surrounded by as fine fanning land as there is in Henry County and everything in the town and surrounding
country denotes thrift and prosperity. The town has a bank, the history of which will be found in the chapter in
this History devoted to "Banks and Banking." The first store was started by Marcus Holliday, son of Oliver
Holliday, an early settler, in 1882. The population is given in the census of 1900 at 300. Mooreland is on the
projected line of the Indianapolis, New Castle and Toledo electric railway. Mooreland, Messick and Rockland are
Blue River Township's three postoffices, the last named having been discontinued.
MILES MARSHALL MOORE.
IN WHOSE HONOR THE TOWN OF MOORELAND WAS NAMED.
Miles Marshall Moore, the third son of Philip and Julia Ann (Wilson) Moore, was born November 18, 1836. on his
father's farm in Blue River Township, Henry County, Indiana. He died April 14, 1886, and is buried in Nettle Creek
Cemetery, near the old town of Franklin, five miles north of Hagerstown, Wayne County. His father, Philip Moore,
was the son of one of the first pioneer settlers of Henry County, William Moore, a native of Tennessee, and his
wife, Catharine (Cotener) Moore, who first settled in Preble County, Ohio, where Philip Moore was born April 24,
1812, and who afterwards, when Philip was but fourteen years of age came to Henry County with his family and settled
in Blue River Township. William Moore was a soldier of the War of 1812-15, a record of which fact will be found
in another place in this History.
The boyhood days of Miles Marshall Moore were spent in the service cif his father and he was a potent helper in
clearing the land and cultivating the soil of his father's farm. His education was such as could be secured at
the common or district schools of the period. In 1860, with a view to going to some new country, if the outlook
proved promising, he took a trip to the Great West from which he soon afterward returned home where he remained
with his father until August 27, 1861. The Civil War was then in progress and he enlisted as a private in Company
C, 36th Indiana Infantry, and participated in all the engagements of that famous regiment, serving a full enlistment
of three years. He was a brave and gallant soldier and the record of his military service will be found in connection
with that of his company and regiment in Chapter XVI of this History.
After his honorable discharge from the army at Atlanta, Georgia, September 15, 1864, he returned to his home in
Blue River Township, and in the following year, March 26, 1865, was united in marriage with Nancy, daughter of
Thomas and Elvira Lamb, of Dalton, Wayne County, Indiana. She was born November 17, 1845.
Immediately after their marriage, Miles M. Moore and his wife went to White County, in the western part of the
State of Indiana, where he and his brother, James H. Moore, had purchased for seven thousand five hundred dollars,
two hundred and fifty acres of land. After making the first payment on the land, he had thirty dollars left with
which he and his wife began housekeeping. She was a very economical woman and a valued helpmeet, using as little
as possible of their small store of money for the household but spending the greater part of it for corn, hay and
feed for the stock. Mrs. Moore not only performed her duties as the housekeeper but often went into the field and
assisted her husband in tilling and cultivating the soil. This double labor, willingly performed, was continued
until the birth of their first child, Philip Edgar. born May 12, 1867. He was a very bright and interesting child
and was the pride of the household. On January 15, 1869, Thomas Eugene, their second child, was born. From this
time the health of Mrs. Moore declined and her husband became correspondingly depressed and discouraged. On May
18, 1872, the eldest son, Philip Edgar, or Eddie as he was familiarly called, was taken down with brain fever from
which, after severe pain and suffering, death came to his relief. At the earnest desire of the wife and mother,
the remains of the child were taken to Wayne County, Indiana, and were there interred in Nettle Creek Cemetery.
He died May 28, 1872.
The husband and wife returned to their desolate home where they remained for a time but the health of the family
not improving, Mr. Moore disposed of his interest in the White County farm and in 1874, following the death of
his father, purchased a part of the old homestead and on August 18th returned to Henry County, from which time
tneir health improved and their prospects became bright for a prosperous future.
Mr. Moore was for many years, as his widow is now, a member of the United Brethren Church, to which he gave of
his strength and means liberally during his life. Politically, Mr. Moore was for a number of years a radical Republican
but he subsequently became a "Greenback" and gave to that organization, of which he was a leading member
in Henry County, his warm and active support. He was a firm believer in the idea that the Government should issue
all money and that the same should be a full legal tender for all purposes, public and private.
Miles Marshall Moore was a good citizen and was one of that great number of loyal and patriotic men, who by their
acts and deeds during the great Civil War gave honor to the splendid military history of Indiana and Henry County.
He was an experienced. practical farmer and by thrift and industry accumulated a life's competency. He was of an
energetic and persevering disposition and won and held the regard and esteem of his neighbors and many friends.
Thomas Eugene, the second son of Miles M. Moore and his wife. Nancy (Lamb) Moore, was married September 21, 1389.
to Rozella Bird, who was born March 27, 1872. She was the daughter of Joseph and Eliza (Houser) Bird. of the well
known family of that name which has been for many years prominent in the affairs of Stony Creek Township, Henry
County. They have two children, Ernest Edgar, born August 26, 1890. and Gladys, born September 19, 1896. Thomas
Eugene and his family reside in Muncie. the "Magic city" of Delaware County, Indiana, where he is engaged
in the natural gas and oil business.
Since the death of Miles Marshall Moore April 14, 1836, as above stated, his widow, Nancy (Lamb) Moore, has given
all of her time to overseeing and managing the property left by her beloved husband. She is a thorough business
woman and has conducted the business with great care and prudence, not only keeping the property intact but adding
materially to its value. She resides at Mooreland, where she has a fine home and where she owns one hundred and
forty two acres of land, adjoining that place on the south. which is highly improved and which is valued at one
hundred and fifty dollars per acre. She is a very excellent woman, domestic in her habits, hospitable, of a kindly
disposition, charitable, and has the entire respect of the community in which she lives.
The town of Moorland was laid out by Miles M. Moore and was named in his honor. It is a thriving place, is kept
neat and clean, has a provident population, is blessed with good schools, good churches, good society and bears
the reputation of being the most beautiful town in Henry County.
Mount Summit, or Summit as it is generally called, derives its name from the supposition that it occupies one
of the highest points of land in the county and is situated in Prairie Township, five miles north and three fourths
of a mile west of north from the court house in New Castle and is in the S. E. 1/4 of Sec. 16 and the N. E. 3 4
of Sec. 21 and the S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 16 and the N. W. 1/4 of Sec. 22, Tp N., R. 10 E., and was laid out and platted
by Isaac Kinley, Surveyor, and was acknowledged by Jesse Ice, proprietor, July Ii, 1854, and contains four blocks,
consisting of fifteen lots.
A Nat of Mount Summit by Jesse Ice. situated immediately south of the pike leading west to Sulphur Springs and
on the east side of the Lake Erie and Western railway was laid out, platted and acknowledged by Jesse Ice, proprietor,
July 22, 1857. and contains twenty four lots, no blocks designated.
William West's addition, situated immediately east of the road running north and south from New Castle to Springport
and on the north side of the pike running east and west from Mount Summit to Sulphur Springs, was platted April
16, 1869, and was acknowledged by West on the same date, and contains three blocks, consisting of ten lots.
Abel W. Ice's addition, situated immediately east and south of the original plat, on the south side of the pike
running east and west and on the west sine of the pike running north and south, was platted April 16, 1869, and
acknowledged by Ice on the same date, and contains five blocks, consisting of twenty four lots.
Peter P. Ritner's addition, situated on the north side of the pike running east and west, and east of the Lake
Erie and Western railway, was platted August 8, 1870, and was acknowledged by Rifner April 1, 1872, and contains
two blocks, consisting of fourteen lots.
Abel W. Ice's second addition, situated immediately south of his first addition and between the railroad and the
pike running north and south, was platted October 17, 1871, and was acknowledged by Ice. April 26, 1872, and contains
three blocks. consisting of eleven lots.
Sarah Ice's addition, situated immediately east of Abel W. Ice's first and second additions and south of West's
addition, was platted October 24, 1871. and was acknowledged by Sarah Ice, October 16, 1872, and contains two blocks,
consisting of eight lots.
A plat of Mount Summit made by William R Harrold. Surveyor. includes all of the foregoing additions and ten out
lots, and was completed May 9, 1873.
Peter P. Rifner's second addition, situated immediately north of Abel W. Ice's first addition, was platted May
24, 1890, and was acknowledged by Rifner on the same date, and contains two blocks, consisting of eight lots.
Ezekiel T. Ice's addition, situated immediately south of Sarah Ice's addition and on the east side of the pike
running north and south, was platted June 9, 1891, and was acknowledged by Ezekiel T. Ice and Hester A. Ice, on
the same date, and contains seven lots, no blocks designated.
The village was first projected in anticipation of the construction of the north and south railroad before the
Civil war. This road collapsed preceding the panic of 1857 and it was not, until more than a dozen years thereafter,
completed north from New Castle to Muncie. This accounts for the fact that no postoffice was established until
November 25, 1869. Prior to this time the people of the neighborhood got their mail from either New Castle, Sulphur
Springs or Luray. The first store was established in 1852 by John Warner.
On pages 41 and 42 of this History will he found a list of all the postmasters, together with the name of the one
rural route carrier connected with that office.
As the place has never been incorporated its population, whateyer it may be, is included in that of Prairie Township.
(See Chapter XXXVIII). Prairie Township has had four postoffices — Hillsboro (Dan Webster), Luray, Mount Summit
and Springport. The two first named haye been discontinued.
Needmore was an old settlement or village, neyer platted into lots situated in Harrison Township, on the road
leading due west and distant from Cadiz three and one half miles at a cross roads, and two and one half miles due
south of Mechanicsburg. At an early day this yillage or settlement contained a store, a blacksmith shop, a wagon
shop, a shoemaker's shop and a saw mill and possibly other industries which enter into the make up of a little
settlement. It neyer acquired the distinction of being a postoffices and at this time all eyidences of the former
village have disappeared.
Needmore's chief claim to fame rests in the fact that a company of the Indiana Legion or Home Guards was organized
at Mechanicsburg during the Civil War which was known as the "Needinore Rangers," a goodly number of
the members of the organization coming from that particular locality. The author has been unable to ascertain why
the name Needmore was given this settlement, but it is possible that it came from some one of that name who lived
there at an early day.