History of Towns and Villages in Henry County, Indiana
Spiceland to Woodville
From: Hazzard's History of Henry County, Indiana 1822-1906
Military Edition Volume 2
By: George Hazzard Author and Publisher
New Castle, Indiana 1906

SPICELAND.

The thriving, town of Spiceland is situated in Spiceland Township. seven and one half miles west of south from the court house in New Castle, on the Ken' Castle and Rushville branch of the Lake Erie Hand Western railroad and the Dunreith and New Castle division of the Indianapolis and Eastern railroad (electric line), and includes nearly all of Sec. 17. Tp. 16 N., R. to E., and was laid out and platted by Stephen C. Mendenhall, Surveyor, January 22, 1850. and was acknowledged by Peter C. Cloud, Joseph M. Allen, Charles Gordon. Eli Cause, Aaron L. Pleas and Levi Hodson. proprietors. February 12, 1850. and contained forty lots, no blocks designated.

Gilliam R. Macy's addition, situated immediately north of the original plat. on the east side of Pearl Street. was platted and acknowledged by William H. Macy September 21, 1850, and contains six lots. no blocks designated.

Pleas' addition, situated immediately north of the original plat. was platted May 24, 1856, and was acknowledged by Charles Gatse. administrator of the estate of Aaron L. Pleas, deceased, on the same date, and contains six lots, no blocks designated.

Thomas Cook (and others) Company's addition. situated immediately east of the original plat, on the south side of Main Street. was platted August 20, 1869, and was acknowledged by Josiah P. Bogue, attorney in fact for Thomas Cook (and others), on the same date. and contains four blocks. consisting of twenty eights lots and fourteen out lots.

Nathan Newby's addition. situated immediately east of William R. Mary's addition. was platted and acknowledged by Nathan Newby. September 20, 1875. and contains twenty two lots, no blocks designated.

Louisa Macy's addition, situated south of the original plat and in the extreme southwest part of the town, on the east side of Academy Avenue was platted and acknowledged by Louisa Macy, with the consent of her husband. Samuel H. Macy, August 27, 1877, and contains fourteen lots. no blocks designated.

The Southside addition, situated immediately south of Thomas Cook (and others) Company's addition, between South Pearl Street and the Lake Erie and Western railway. was platted September 12, 1890, and was acknowledged by Frank A. Coffins, President. and Oliver H. Nixon, Secretary. of the Spiceland Land Company, September 25, 1890. and contains sixteen blocks, consisting of one hundred and seventy one lots.

Winchester's addition, situated immediately north of the Southside addition, on the east side of Second Streel was platted October 24. 1890. and was acknowledged by Daniel W. Winchester, proprietor, October 28. 1890. and contains two blocks, consisting of forty three lots.

Mordecai White's addition, situated immediately north of the Thomas Cook (and others) Company's addition, on the north side of East Main Street and the east side of North Fourth Street, was platted May 15, 1891 and was acknowledged by Mordecai White, on the same date, and contains one hundred and sixty five lots and eight out lots, no blocks designated.

Spiceland Township was organized in 1842 and was so named on account of the abundance of "spice brush" that grew in that part of the county. The early settlement and the town take their name from the same cause. There was a settlement where the town stands at a very early day, but it was not until 1847 that Driver Boone began to sell land by metes and bounds for building purposes.

A postoffice was established April 10. 1838, with Thomas Cook as postmaster. On page 45 of this History will be found a list of the postmasters together with the name of the rural route carrier.

The first settlement was distinctively a Friend or Quaker affair, which denomination has always predominated not only in Spiceland but also in Spiceland Township. This denomination erected a log meeting house and school house as early as 1828. The schools of Spiceland have always been among the foremost in the county.

The town was incorporated in 1869. According to the census of 1870 it had a population of 371. In 1900 the population, as reported by the census was 590. Spiceland, Dunreith and Ogden are the only three postoffice that ever existed in Spiceland Township and all are now in existence. There is one bank, the history of which will be found in the chapter of this History entitled "Banks and Banking." Formerly a newspaper was published there called the Spiceland Reporter. Recently the New Castle Tribune was moved there for publication. A history of these newspapers will be found in the chapter entitled "Newspapers Past and Present." There has never been a saloon in Spiceland, nor in fact in Spiceland Township.

SPRINGPORT.

The enterprising village of Springport is situated in Prairie Township, eight miles north and one mile west of north from the court house in New Castle, on the Lake Erie and Western railroad, and is in the S. 1/4 of the S. E. and the S. E. 1/4 of the S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 33, Tp. 19 N., R. 10 E., and was laid out and platted by James M. Clements, Surveyor, in July, 1868, and acknowledged by Jeremiah Beach. proprietor, April 4. 1870, and contains three blocks, consisting of seventeen lots.

Vance's addition, situated immediately north of the original plat, was platted January 1, 1870, and was acknowledged by David Vance, proprietor, January 4. 1870, and contains twelve lots, no blocks designated.

James L. Freeman's addition, situated immediately south of the original plat. on the east side of the Lake Erie and Western railroad, was platted by James L. Freeman, September 10, 1884, and was acknowledged October 18, 1884, and contains eight lots and two out lots, no blocks designated.

Henry Reiman's addition, situated north of David Vance's addition and north of the school house ground, was platted February 9, 1882, and was acknowledged by Henry Reiman and Sarah E. Reiman February 16, 1884, and contains five lots, no blocks designated.

John M. Vance's addition, situated immediately west of David Vance's addition. on the west side of the Lake Erie and Western railroad, was platted May 11, 1885, and was acknowledged by John M. Vance and Mary E. Vance. January 21, 1886, and contains five and seven hundredths acres, divided into two blocks, consisting of eighteen lots.

The Springport Land Company's first addition, situated immediately south of Vance's addition, on the south side of Main Street and west of the Lake Erie and Western railroad, was platted May 1, 1894, and was acknowledged by Josiah D. Painter. President, and James B. Gilmore, Secretary, of The Springport Land Company, on the same date, and contains fifty six lots and four out lots, no blocks designated.

The village sprang into existence after the completion of the Fort Wayne. Muncie and Cincinnati railway, now a part of the Lake Erie and Western system, in 1869. The place takes its name from the fine springs located near the railway depot.

A postoffice was established June 29, 1869. with Hiram Allen, as postmaster. he being also probably the first merchant. On page 46 of this History will be found a list of the postmasters. together with the name of the rural route carrier.

Springport never having been incorporated its population is included in that of Prairie Township. (See Chapter XXXVIII).

The village has succeeded to the remnant of the large trade that formerly found its way to the old town of Luray. and with Mount Summit, Hillsboro and Luray constitute the only postoffices that have existed in Prairie Township. The two last named have been discontinued.

STRAUCHN.

This little town was named in honor of Merriman Straughn. who came to the vicinity in the autumn of 1822 when it was a "howling wilderness." It is situated in Dudley Township. nine and three fourths miles southeast from the court house in New Castle, on the Panhandle railway and Indianapolis and Eastern railway (electric line). and was laid out and platted by John L. Starry, proprietor, in 1868. The main street running east and west is known as "The National Road."

Gauker's addition, situated on the south side of Main or Washington Street, and on the west side of Pike Street, was platted by William H. Gauker and contains twenty six lots, no blocks designated.

McMeans' addition, situated on the north side of Main or Washington Street and on the east side of Pike Street, was platted by Nathaniel S. McMeans and contains eight lots.

Hazelrigg s addition, situated south of Gauker's addition, on the south side of the Panhandle railroad, was platted October 5, 1875, and was acknowledged by John Hazelrigg, proprietor. on the same date, and contains nineteen lots, no blocks designated.

A plat of the town of Straight, which includes all of the above additions together with twenty eight out lots, was laid out and platted by Daniel K. Cook. Surveyor, and acknowledged July 3. 1882.

Merriman Straughn. for whom the town was named. was a soldier in the war of 1812-15 and his name is so recorded in the chapter in this History devoted to that war. His son and other descendants are still in Henry County, east of Straight.

This was the last town or village to be located on the old National Road in Henry County and the most eastern town in the county on that old thoroughfare. A postoffice was established July 15. 1869. On page 46 of this History will be found a list of the postmasters. Straughn and New Lisbon are the only postoffices that were ever established in Dudley Township and both are still in existence.

Straughn is in the southeastern corner of the county, it being only one mile to the Fayette County line and two and one half miles to the Wayne County line. It is the smallest incorporated town in the county, the population according to the census of 1900 being 186.

SULPHUR SPRINGS.

The incorporated town of Sulphur Springs is situated in Jefferson Township, six and one fourth miles northwest from the court house in New Castle, on the Panhandle railway and the Union Traction line from Anderson to New Castle and is in the S. E. 1/4 of the S. E. 1/4 of Sec. 13 and the N. E. 1/4 of the N. E. 1/4 of Sec. 24, Tp. 18 N., R. 9 E., and in the S. W. 1/4 of the S. W. 1/4 of Sec.18 and the N. W. 1/4 of the N. W. of Sec. 19, Tp. 18 N., R. 10 E., and was laid out and platted by William S. Yost, proprietor, and acknowledged by him January 7. 1853, and contains four blocks, consisting of forty one lots.

William S. Yost's addition, situated immediately west and north of the original plat, was platted and acknowledged by Elisha Cleft, Commissioner appointed by the court in the matter of the estate of William S. Yost, deceased, May 11. 1867, and contains six lots, no blocks designated.

The Northwest addition, situated immediately west of the original plat and William S. Yost's addition, on the north side of West Main Street, was platted by Bushrod W. Scott, guardian of the minor heirs of Samuel L. Yost, deceased, by an order of the Common Pleas Court of Henry County, February 12, 1868, and was acknowledged November 20, 1868, and contains two blocks, consisting of nine lots.

Scott and Yost's first addition, situated immediately east and north of the original plat, between East Main Street and the Panhandle railway, was platted by Bushrod W. Scott, guardian of Samuel L. Yost's theirs and by William E. Yost and was acknowledged January 27, 1870, and contains seven lots, no blocks designated.

Scott and Yost's second addition, situated immediately west of the Northwest addition, on the north side of West Main Street, was platted by Bushrod W. Scott, guardian of Francis M. and Sarah C. Yost, and by William E. Yost, April 18. 1870, and was acknowledged by Bushrod W. Scott, guardian. May 11, 1870, and by William E. Yost May 18, 1870, and contains eight blocks, consisting of thirty two lots.

Scott and Yost's third addition, situated immediately north of Scott and Yost's second addition, on the north side of Mill Street, was platted by Bushrod W. Scott, guardian of Francis M. and Sarah C. Yost, and by William a Yost, April 28, 1870 and was acknowledged by William E. Yost, May 15, 1870. and by Bushrod W. Scott, guardian, May 11, 1870, and contains eight lots, no blocks designated.

Jacob W. Yost (and others) addition. situated immediately west and south of the original plat, on the south side of west Main Street, was platted by Jacob W. Yost. Albert N. Yost and Joseph H. Thompson, November 7, 1870, and contains twos blocks, consisting of eleven lots.

The town was platted in anticipation of the early completion of the Panhandle railway to that point and takes its name from the springs of the same name within the corporate limits, and before it was officially designated as a town by the filing of a plat, the settlement was called - Sulphur Springs.

A store was established a dozen years before the railroad came by William S. Yost, who was instrumental in having the postoffice established there February 13, 1844 he being the first postmaster. Elsewhere in this History there is a biographical sketch of his son, Jacob Weaver Yost, and incidentally of the family and to this reference is made.

Sulphur Springs is the only postoffice that has ever existed in Jefferson Township. On pages 46 and 47 of this History will be found a list of the postmasters, together with the name of the rural route carrier. The population of the town, according to the census of 1900 was 262.

UNIONTOWN.

This ancient and abandoned village is situated in Dudley Township about fourteen and three fourths miles southeast from the court house in New Castle and about four miles southeast of Straughn, in the extreme southeastern corner of the county, somewhere near Little Symons Creek. and on the old State Road, which is the boundary between Henry and Fayette counties, leading from the Ohio state line to Indianapolis and is in Sec. 36. Tp. 16 A., R. 11 E. It was laid out and platted by William McKimmey. Surveyor of Henry County. and acknowledged by William Seward. proprietor. May 27. 1823, and contains six blocks, consisting of twenty two lots.

Uniontown only reached the second or third house before the building of the National Road blighted its prospects. The place was no doubt platted on both sides of the old State Road. thus putting it in two counties. The site of the place has long since been vacated. It never reached the dignity of a postoffice and never had any population other than that included in Dudley Township. The name is no doubt deriyed from the fact that the yillage was a union of the two counties.

WEST LIBERTY.

West Liberty is, or rather was, situated in Wayne Township. fourteen and three fourths miles southwest from the court house in New Castle. and three fourths of a mile southwest from Knightstown, and was located on the county line between Henry and Rush counties. and is in the southeast corner of the W. 1/2 of the S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 33, Tp. 16 N., R. 9 E., and was laid out and platted by Samuel Furgason and acknowledged April 18. 1823.

A part of this village was in Rush County. No postoffice was ever established although at an early day mail was carried there front regularly established offices for general distribution. The first mail route established through the county went through West Liberty from Greensburg and Rushville to New Castle and Muncie.

West Liberty was located near the month of Montgomery Creek; it grew quite favorably for a few years and had at one time about twenty houses and two or more groceries and dry goods stores. Doctor Elliott, who subsequently died of cholera in New Castle, was the first physician and Aaron Maxwell the first merchant. Unfortunately for the hopes of West Liberty the National Road was located about a mile north and Knightstown thus established. There is nothing now remaining to Mark the site of the old village.

Next to New Castle, West Liberty is the oldest town or village in the county. It takes its name from the fact that the people who first settled there came from Liberty in Union County, and, therefore this village was called West Liberty.

WHEELAND.

Wheeland was situated somewhere in Henry County but the records do not show what section, township and range. It was laid out and platted by Caleb Williams, Surveyor, about the year 1833. and contains four bloeks. consisting of twenty four lots. For whom the land was platted does not appear.

The place never successfully passed the paper stage, and further information regarding it has not been obtainable.

WHITE RAVEN.

The first settlers of the region in and around New Castle were the Indians. Prion to 1823 the site of the present beautiful county town was a wilderness of forest, almost impenetrable by the foot of man. There were no roads through these vast woods and the first white settlers made pathways through them by cutting away the underbrush and blazing the trees. Early in the nineteenth century a tribe of Indians, probably the Miamis established a village on the high point northwest of the present town of New Castle, across Blue River, where the county asylum was afterward located and now stands. There they remained and maintained a typical Indian settlement, for seyeral years, called White Raven, after one of the chiefs of the tribe. Other tribes of Indians had established villages at Anderson and Muncie and exchange of visits was frequent between these various tribes. About the year 1823 the advent of white settlers caused the Miamis to abandon their village and move on and they settled at some point in Wisconsin, then a part of the Northwest Territory.

For sometime after this date access to the present site of the county asylum was not possible by direct road from New Castle, on account of the swamp made by the spreading waters of Blue River, but a road was blazed northward past the old Woodward homestead for some distance which then made a circuit to the west, avoiding the marshes in the bottoms. Subsequently the Cadiz road was built running directly west out Broad Street and the county asylum was reached by a road running north, a mile west of New Castle past the Catholic cemetery and many years later the Northwestern pike was constructed extending in a northwesterly direction through the Blue River bottom and bisecting the land belonging to the county asylum, formerly the Indian village of White Raven.

WOODVILLE.

This old and now obliterated village is situated in Greensboro Township. nine miles west and one mile south of west from the court house in New Castle. and is in the N. W. 1/4 of the N. E. 1/4 of Sec. 19. Tp. 17 N., R. 9 E., and was laid out and platted by James Atkinson and acknowledged May 30, 1836. and contains eight blocks, consisting of forty eight lots.

John Judge's addition, situated immediately north of the original plat, on the east side of Main Street, was platted August 20, 1855, and was acknowledged by John judge on the same date and contains two blocks, consisting of six lots. The main street of the village running east and west was and is the boundary line between Harrison and Greensboro townships. Woodville never got beyond two scores of houses and now there remain but two or three dilapidated places to mark its former site.

There never was a postoffice in the village. At one time a store owned by Alfred Jackson and Leonard Fowler flourished there and at the same time a physician named Wilson C. Olden pursued the practise of medicine. Like many other villages located before the days of railroads. Woodville went into decline on their advent to more favored towns. The village probably took its name from the dense forests which surrounded it at the time it was located.


Return to [ Indiana History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Indiana Biographies ]


Indiana Counties at this web site - Cass - Clay - Dearborn - Elkhart - Fayette - Gibson - Hancock - Hendrick - Henry - Miami - Monroe - Montgomery - Porter - Posey - Putnam - Rush - St. Joseph - Tippecanoe - Wabash

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy