History of Middletown, Henry County, Indiana
From: Hazzard's History of Henry County, Indiana 1822-1906
Military Edition Volume 2
By: George Hazzard Author and Publisher
New Castle, Indiana 1906

MIDDLETOWN.

This town, so named for the reason that it was considered the half way point between New Castle and Anderson, is situated in Fall Creek Township, twelve miles northwest from the court house in New Castle, on the banks of Fall Creek, on the Panhandle railway, on the line of the Union Traction Company from Anderson to New Castle, and is in the S. E. 1/4 and the N. E. 1/4 of Sec. 31 and the N. W. 1/4 of Sec. 32, Tp. 19 N., R. 9 E., and was laid out, platted and acknowledged by Jacob Koontz, October 9, 1829. The main street running north and south was designated. as "The New Castle and La Fayette Road." and the original plat contains four blocks consisting of forty lots.

Chauncey H. Burr's addition, situated immediately east of the original plat, was platted August 12, 1339, and was acknowledged by Burr, August 20. 1839 and contains two blocks, consisting of twenty two lots.

Lewis Summers' first and second additions, situated immediately north of the original plat, between Main and Mill streets, were platted the first. March 13, 1834, and the second, March 12, 1840. Both plats were acknowledged by Summers, February 24, 1842. They contain twenty six lots, no blocks designated.

Joseph Yount's addition, situated immediately west of the original plat, on the west side of Church Street, was platted and acknowledged by Joseph Yount, August 23, 1849, and contains five lots, no blocks designated.

Joseph Yount's second addition, situated immediately south and west of Summers' first addition and west of the original plat, and extending west across the Panhandle railway, was platted and acknowledged by Joseph Yount. September 25, 1854. and contains three blocks, consisting of twenty one lots.

Frederick Tykle's addition, situated about twenty four rods east of Summers' first addition, was platted and acknowledged by Frederick Tykle August 22. 1865, and contains thirteen lots, no blocks designated.

Joseph Yount's third addition, situated immediately north of the west part of Yount's second addition and south of the Panhandle railway, was platted March 12, 1866, and was acknowledged by Yount on the same date. and contains three blocks, consisting of twenty one lots.

Willis Wisehart's first addition, situated about two hundred and eighty two feet north of Summers' second addition. on the west side of Main Street and south of Pine Street, was platted April 30, 1881, and was acknowledged by Wisehart on the same date, and contains three blocks, consisting of twenty one lots.

Elizabeth Van Matre's addition, situated immediately north of Summers' second addition, on the west side of Church Street, was platted May 8, 1882. and was acknowledged by Elizabeth Van Matre, May 25, 1882, and contains four lots, no blocks designated.

William M. Moore's addition, situated immediately west of Van Matre's addition, on the east side of Mill Street, was platted June 20, 1883, and was acknowledged by Moore, May 10, 1884, and contains one block, consisting of four lots.

Elizabeth Van Matre's second addition, situated immediately east of Van Matre's first addition, on the east side of Church Street, was platted June 19, 1883, and was acknowledged by Elizabeth Van Matre and Henry Van Matre, July 14, 1883, and contains one block, consisting of four lots.

Willis Wisehart's second addition, situated immediately north of Wisehart's first addition, on the west side of Main Street, and on the north side of Pine Street, was platted June 3, 1885, and was acknowledged by Wisehart on the same date, and contains three blocks, consisting of twenty four lots.

Painter and Watkins' first addition, situated immediately west of Yount's third addition and south of the railroad, was platted July 15, 1890, and was acknowledged by George Davis and Elizabeth Davis, proprietors, on the same date, and contains fifty eight lots, no blocks designated.

Jackson's first addition, situated immediately west of Painter and Watkins' addition and extending north across the Panhandle railway. and lying between Twelfth and Sixteenth streets, was platted February 19, 1894, and was acknowledged by Llewellyn B. Jackson, Nellie J. Jackson, Erastus L. Elliott, Trustee. Andrew S. Miller. President. and George L. Swain, Secretary, of the Indiana Glass Company, on the same date, and contains ninety and twenty three hundredths acres, divided into four hundred and forty one lots, no blocks designated.

The Indiana Glass Company's addition, situated immediately east and north of Jackson's first addition, on the south side of the Panhandle railway, was platted March 26, 1894, and was acknowledged by Andrew S. Miller and George L. Swain, President and Secretary, respectively, of the Indiana Glass Company, on the same date, and contains ten and seventy three hundredtns acres, divided into forty seven lots, no blocks designated.

Jackson Wisehart's addition, situated north of Yount's third addition on the north side of High Street and on the east side of Ninth Street, was platted February 27, 1894, and was acknowledged by Willis Wisehart and Elmira Wisehart, proprietors. on the same date, and contains four and forty eight hundredths acres, divided into twenty three lots, no blocks designated.

Willis Wisehart's third addition, situated immediately north of Wisehart's second addition, between Sixth and Eighth streets, was platted April 1, 1894, and was acknowledged by Willis Wisehart, Elmira Wisehart and Overton Cummins, President of the Middletown Butter and Cheese Company, on the same date, and contains six and sixty seven hundredths acres, divided into twenty two lots, no blocks designated.

Tykles second addition, situated immediately east of Jackson's first addition, and north of the Indiana Glass Company's addition, on the north side of the Panhandle railway, was platted May 11, 1898, and was acknowledged by George E. Tykle and John H. Terhune, Trustees of the estate of Frederick Tykles, deceased, on the same date, and contains fourteen acres, divided into fifty two lots, no blocks designated.

Hedrick's first addition, situated immediately east of Wisehart's first addition, on the north side of Columbia Street, and extending east to Third Street, was platted May 2, 1898, and was acknowledged by John Baker. Jane Baker, J. a Lambert Emma Lambert, Berry H. Painter, Jane Sanders, Elizabeth McWilliams, Charles C. Shedron, Mary Shedron, Willis Wisehart Elmira Wisehart, Lillie Hedrick, John W. Hedrick, John W. Hedrick, guardian of James C. Hedrick, Frank A. Wisehart, Jessie M. Wisehart, Gilbert Watkins and Josie Watkins, heirs of John Hedrick, deceased, on the same date, and contains twenty and ninety eight hundredths acres, divided into seventy live lots and twelve out lots, no blocks designated.

Jacob Koontz, the original proprietor, had a public sale of lots on December 25, 1829, and it is chronicled that the best prices obtained were very discouraging. At this time there was not a frame house in Fall Creek Township.

In point of population and wealth and as a business point, Middletown has always been considered the third town in the county, ranked only by New Castle and Knightstown. It is surrounded by a fine body of fertile land, all of which has been converted into highly improved farms. The town has always enjoyed a good trade from the southern part of Delaware County, particularly from the "Richwoods" neighborhood, as the county line is only two miles north from the Welsh hotel.

Middletown is noted for its fine private residences, its elegant churches and schools and the high character of its business blocks, particularly the Welsh hotel. It has one hank, known as the Farmers' State Bank of Middletown. with a capital of $3o.000, and the thrift and prosperity of its people may be measured from the fact that this bank with so small a capital has carried a deposit account of S200.000. This bank is treated of elsewhere in this History in the chapter entitled "Banks and Banking."

A postoffice was established September to. 1830. with Jacob Koontz. as postmaster, and on pages 40 and 41 of this History will be found a list of the postmasters together with the names of the four rural route carriers connected with that office. Middletown is one of the three postoffices that have existed and that still exist in Fall Creek Township. the other two being Honey Creek and Mechanicsburg. Its population according to the census of 1900 is given as 1801.

Middletown was incorporated in 1840 by Chauncey H. Burr and fourteen others.


Return to [ Indiana History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Indiana Biographies ]


Indiana Counties at this web site - Cass - Clay - Dearborn - Elkhart - Fayette - Gibson - Hancock - Hendrick - Henry - Miami - Monroe - Montgomery - Porter - Posey - Putnam - Rush - St. Joseph - Tippecanoe - Wabash

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy