History of New Castle, Henry County, Indiana
From: Hazzard's History of Henry County, Indiana 1822-1906
Military Edition Volume 2
By: George Hazzard Author and Publisher
New Castle, Indiana 1906

NEW CASTLE.

New Castle, named for New Castle. Henry County. Kentucky, is the county seat of Henry County, and is situated in Henry Township, about a mile east of the geographical center of the county on the Panhandle railway. the Peoria and Eastern division of the Big Four railway, the Lake Erie and Western railway, the New Castle and Rushville division of the Lake Erie and Western railway, and the New Castle and Dunreith division of the Indianapolis and Eastern electric railway. It is also the southern terminus of the Anderson and New Castle division of the Union Traction Company's electric line, and of the projected electric railroad from Muncie to New Castle. The projected Indianapolis, New Castle and Toledo electric line will also be an important addition to the railroad facilities of the town. which is in the S. 1/2 and N. E. of Sec. 10, the S. 1/2 of Sec. 11, the N. 1/4 and S. E.1/4 of Sec. 15. and the N. 1/2 and S. W. 1/4 of Sec. 14. Tp. 17 N. R. 10 E. and the original plat was laid out and platted January 4, 1836. by Thomas Leonard. who had been appointed for that purpose by the Board of County Commissioners, and who took to his aid Thomas R. Stanford, Surveyor. The original plat was made up from the field notes of the town of New Castle, as returned to the Recorder's office by John Dorrah and William McKimme, Surveyors, and was acknowledged by Ezekiel Leavell, agent for Henry County, April 8, 1823, and contained twenty blocks, consisting of one hundred and forty lots and twenty out lots. The survey of 1836 above mentioned was a re-establishment of the lines of the original plat. The west half of the public square was vacated by the board of commissioners at their November term, 1835, and Moses Roberts was appointed to cause a survey or subdivision to be made, and said west half was platted into five lots, three fronting on Broad Street and two on Race Street.

Rue and Holman's addition, situated immediately south of the original plat, on the east side of South Main Street and south of Indiana Avenue, was platted by Richard Rue and Joseph Holman and was acknowledged by Richard Rue, January 26, 1844, and by Joseph Holman February 3, 1844. It contains six blocks, consisting of thirty two lots and four out lots.

William Murphy's addition, situated immediately south of the original plat and south of Indiana Avenue, on the west side of South Main Street, was platted by Murphey, May 20, 1851, and was acknowledged June 19, 1851, and contains four blocks, consisting of ten lots.

Taylor's addition, situated east and north of the Panhandle railroad, on the south side of East Broad Street, is a subdivision of out lots 4 and 5 of the original plat and was platted April 6, 1853, and was acknowledged by John Taylor on the same date and contains twenty one lots, no blocks designated.

Thornburgh's addition, situated immediately east of the original plat, on the north side of Broad Street and east of Fifteenth Street, was platted July 18, 1853, and was acknowledged by Hiram Thornburgh and by Hiram Thornburgh, guardian, of John and Jacob Thornburgh, July 20, 1853, and contains two blocks, consisting of thirty five lots.

George W. Leonard's addition, situated immediately west of the original plat, on the north side of West Broad Street and west of Eleventh Street, was platted September 22, 1854, and was acknowledged by Lennard, October 3, 1854, and contains two blocks, consisting of thirty six lots.

Martin L. Powell's first addition, situated immediately east and north of Thornburgh's addition and north of Taylor's addition beginning fifty feet west of Pennsylvania Avenue, now Eighteenth Street, and on the north side of East Broad Street, was platted August 24, 1866, and was acknowledged by Powell, September 10, 1866, and contains five blocks, consisting of thirty two lots.

Hazzard and Shirk's addition, situated two blocks north of Vine Street, at the alley which marks the northern boundary of the original plat, on the west side of North Main Street, was platted March 18, 1867, and was acknowledged by George Hazzard (the author of this History) and Benjamin Shirk on the same date, and contains ten lots no blocks designated.

George Lowe's addition, situated immediately south of the Eastern out lots in the original plat and south of Taylor's addition and east of Rue and Holman's addition, was platted September 28, 1867, and was acknowledged by Lowe, September 30. 1867, and contains five blocks, consisting of forty one lots.

Seth H. Elliott's addition, situated immediately south of Lowe's addition and north of the Lake Erie and Western railway, was platted September 28, 1867, and was acknowledged by Seth H. Elliott and Catharine Elliott, September 30, 1867, and contains four blocks, consisting of twenty two lots and Elliott's reservation, equal to four lots, for a residence.

Nicholson's addition, situated immediately south of Bundy's second addition, between South Eleventh Street and Bundy Avenue, was platted August 3, 1868, and was acknowledged by Andrew Nicholson on the same date, and contains four blocks, consisting of eleven lots.

Miles Murphey's addition, situated immediately south of Rue and Holman's addition, on the east side of South Main Street, was platted April 13, 1868, and was acknowledged by Murphey, April 21, 1868, and contains ten lots, no blocks designated.

Benjamin Elder's addition, situated immediately west and south of the George W. Lennard addition in the west part of town, on the north side of West Broad Street between Seventh and Ninth Streets, was platted August 17, 1868, and was acknowledged by Elder, August 21, 1868, and contains four blocks, consisting of thirty two lots.

Martin L. Bundy's addition, situated south of William Murphey's addition, on the west side of South Main Street and on the north side of Lincoln Avenue, was platted September 7, 1868, and was acknowledged by Bundy, September 9, 1868, and contains three blocks, consisting of eleven cots.

Hiram Thornburgh's second addition, situated immediately north of Martin L. Powell's first addition, between the Panhandle railway and Eighteenth Street, was platted by Hiram Thornburgh, March 1, 1869. and was acknowledged March 31, 1869, and contains fifteen blocks, consisting of sixty nine lots and three out lots.

Martin L. Powell's second addition, situated immediately east of the East School House grounds, on the south side of East Broad Street and extending south of the Panhandle railway, was platted October 11, 1869, and was acknowledged by Powell October 14, 1869, and contains thirteen acres, divided into seven blocks, consisting of forty two lots.

Benjamin Elder's second addition, situated immediately north and west of Elder's first addition, was platted and acknowledged by Benjamin Elder, July 5, 1870, and contains six blocks, consisting of thirty two lots.

Jacob Shopp's addition, situated immediately east of Taylor's addition and on the south side of Shopp Avenue, was platted May 27, 1871, and was acknowledged by Shopp on the same date, and contains ten lots, no blocks designated.

James Loer's addition, situated east of Martin L. Powell's first addition and north of East Broad Street, the homesteads of James Brown and Thomas B. Redding intervening, and on the west side of North Twenty First Street, was platted August 4, 1871, and was acknowledged by Loer, August 14, 1871, and contains four blocks, consisting of twenty one lots.

Eli Murphey's addition, situated immediately west of William Murphey's addition, on the west side of South Twelfth Street. was platted October 16. 1871, and was acknowledged by Murphey September 17, 1872, and contains five lots, no blocks designates.

James Brown's addition, situated immediately east of Thornburgh's second addition and Powell's first addition, on the east side of Nineteenth Street, was platted and acknowledged by James Brown January 27, 1873, and contains seven lots, no blocks designated.

John Rea's addition, situated immediately east of Powell's second addition, between East Broad Street and the Panhandle railway, was platted September 21, 1872. and was acknowledged by Rea, October 30, 1874, and contains five blocks, consisting of fifteen lots.

Elizabeth Murphey's addition, situated east of South Park addition, south of the former General William Grose's homestead. now the home of the Henry County Historical Society, and on the east side of South Fourteenth Street. was platted October 8. 1874, and was acknowledged by Elizabeth Murphey and Miles Murphey, March 15, 1875, and contains two blocks, consisting of twenty four lots.

Bowers' division of out lots, situated immediately east of Nicholson's addition. between South Main Street and Bundy Avenue, was platted April 24. 1875. by John Unthank, Surveyor, and was acknowledged by said Unthank on the same date, and contains sixteen lots, no blocks designated.

Martin L. Powell's subdivision, situated immediately east and south of Powell's second addition. on the south side of the Panhandle railway (with the exception of nine lots which are north of the railroad), and extending north to the New Castle and Hagerstown turnpike. or East Broad Street, was platted by Martin L. Powell, May 25, 1876 and was acknowledged by him May 26, 1876. and contains nine lots and twelve out lots, no blocks designated.

Thomas Mullen's addition, situated east of Powell's subdivision, between East Broad Street and the Panhandle railway, was platted March 1, 1877. and was acknowledged by Thomas Mullen. March 10, 1877, and contains three blocks, consisting of twenty eight lots.

James Loer's second addition, situated immediately east of his first addition, was platted and acknowledged by him August 21, 1878 and contains four blocks, consisting of twenty four lots.

William E. and Mary C. Woodward's addition, situated east of Elizabeth Murphey's addition, between Walnut Street and the Lake Erie and Western railway, was platted July 3, 1883, and was acknowledged by Mary C. Wnodward and William E. Woodward on the same date, and contains three blocks, consisting of twenty one lots and seven out lots.

Martin L. Bundy's second addition, situated immediately north of Nicholson's addition and south of Burr's addition, on the west side of South Main Street and Bundy Avenue, was platted June 24, 1881, and was acknowledged by Martin L. Bundy and Amanda, his wife, on the same date, and contains three blocks, consisting of eleven lots and one out lot.

Mowrer's addition, situated immediately south of Bundy's second addition, on the west side of Bundy Avenue, was platted June 25, 1881 and was acknowledged by James M. Mowrer, Emma C. Mowrer, Mary C, Mowrer. Thomas W. Millikan and Margaret R. Millikan on the same date, and contains two blocks, consisting of six lots and one out lot.

Thomas B. Reeder's addition, situated immediately south of Mowrers addition, between Bundy Avenue and South Eleventh Street, was platted June 25, 1881, and was acknowledged by Reeder on the same date, and contains seven lots, no blocks designated.

Lycurgus L. Burr's addition, situated immediately south of Bundy's first addition, on the west side of South Main Street and south side of Lincoln Avenue. was platted June 25, 1881, and was acknowledged by Burr on the same date, and contains two blocks, consisting of eight lots and one out lot.

James M. Thornton's addition, situated immediately north of George W. Lennard's addition and west of Hazzard and Shirk's addition, between North Ninth and North Eleventh streets, and on the north sided of West Spring Street, was platted August 24, 1881, and was acknowledged by Thornton on the same date, and contains four blocks, consisting of thirty two lots.

Hernly and Brown's addition (known as Lockwood) situated immediately north of Woodward's second addition, at the extreme north end of town, on the west side of the Panhandle railway, was platted October 14. 1881, and was acknowledged by Charles S. Hernly and Samuel Hadley Brown, proprietors, on the same date, and contains two blocks, consisting of twenty lots.

Pyrrhus Woodward's addition, situated immediately north of Hazzard and Shirk's addition, on the west side of North Twelfth Street, was platted October 1, 1881, and was acknowledged by Woodward on the same date, and contains three blocks, consisting of twenty four lots and two out lots.

David W. Chambers' addition, situated immediately south of the original plat, on the east side of South Eleventh Street, was platted April 19, 1882, and was acknowledged by Chambers on the same date, and contains thirteen lots, no blocks designated.

Jacob Brenneman's addition, situated immediately south of out lots twenty two and twenty three, original plat, on the south side of Indiana Avenue and east side of South Ninth Street, was platted March 23, 1883, and was acknowledged by Brenneman. April 3, 1883, and contains one block, consisting of five lots.

Asahel W. Lennard's addition, situated immediately north of Thornburgh's second addition, on the east side of Columbia Avenue, was platted August 27, 1883, and was acknowledged by Lennard on the same date and contains eleven and fifty three hundredths acres, divided into four blocks, consisting of thirty five lots.

Martin L. Bundy's third addition, situated south of Bower's addition, on the west side of South Main Street, was platted June 20, 1890, and was acknowledged by Bundy on the same date, and contains five lots, no blocks designated.

James V. Hickman's addition, situated immediately east of Loer's second addition, on the south side of the Brown pike (the old Brown road), was platted September 29, 1890, and was acknowledged by Hickman on the same date and contains twenty two ans seventy one hundredths acres, divided into one hundred and four lots, no blocks designated.

Morris and Bundy's South Park addition, situated immediately east of Bower's division, between South Main and South Fourteenth streets, was platted May 2, 1892, and was acknowledged by John M. Morris and Eugene H. Bundy on the same date and contains thirty six lots and one out lot, no blocks designated.

Vestal's first addition, situated immediately north and west of Powell's subdivision, between East Broad Street and the Panhandle railway, was platted June 3. 1893, and was acknowledged by Milton M. Vestal on the same date, and contains three and one half acres, divided into fifteen lots, no blocks designated.

The Speeder Cycle Company's addition, situated immediately south of South Park addition, between South Main and South Fourteenth streets, was platted August 21. 1894, and was acknowledged by Henry J. Adams. President, and Alman L. Bowman. Secretary of the Speeder Cycle Company on the same date, and contains seventeen and fifty three hundredths acres, divided into seventy five lots and one out lot, no blocks designated.

The Jehu T. Elliott Heirs' addition, situated immediately west of the original plat. on the south side of West Broad Street between South Fifth and South Ninth streets, was platted April 27, 1395, and was acknowledged by Mark E. Forcer, Attorney in Fact for the Elliott heirs. on the same date. and contains thirteen and ninety three hundredths acres, divided into sixty four lots, no blocks designated.

Woodward's second addition, situated immediately north of Woodward's first addition, between the Panhandle and Big Four railways, was platted May 20, 1896, and was acknowledged by Pyrrhus Woodward, Mary E. Woodward. George Woodward, Lizzie Woodward and Belle Springer on the same date, and contains twenty two and sixty five hundredths acres, divided into seventy seven lots and two out lots.

The Robert M. Nixon Heirs' addition, situated immediately west of Chambers' addition. on the west side of South Eleventh Street, was platted July 1. 1897. and was acknowledged by Thomas L. Campbell. administrator of the estate of Robert M. Nixon. deceased, and Celestina Nixon. widow, on the same date, and contains thirteen lots, no blocks designated.

Rentzsch's sub-plat, situated in Mowrer's addition, includes out lot one and lots one, two and three in block one and is between South Eleventh Street and Bundy Avenue. lt was platted April 28. 1898. and was acknowledged by Otto Rentzsch on the same date, and contains ten lots, no blocks designated.

Mikes and Ogborn's Cable addition, situated immediately east of John Rea's addition, between East Broad Street and the Panhandle railway, was platted November 1S, 1899, and was acknowledged by Charles N. Mikels and Albert D. Ogborn on the same date. and contains eleven acres, divided into fifty lots and one out lot, no blocks designated.

The American Shovel Company's addition, situated east of Hernly and Brown's addition and the north part of Woodward's second addition, between Columbia Avenue and the Panhandle railway, was platted November 28. 1899. and was acknowledged by George W. Miller, President. and Charles W. Mouch. Secretary, of the American Shovel Company, on the same date, and contains twenty five acres, divided into ninety two lots. no blocks designated.

Charles S. Hernly's first addition, situated south of Powell's subdivision, on the west side of South Twenty Fifth Street, was platted December 30, 1901. and was acknowledged by Charles S. Hernly and Elizabeth Herniy on the same date, and contains four and thirty hundredths acres, divided into twenty four lots, no blocks designated.

The first Industrial addition. situated in the southeast part of town, on the south side of A and Grand avenues and immediately east of the New Castle and Rushville division of the Lake Erie and Western railway, was platted January 14. 1902, and was acknowledged by Lycurgus L. Burr, President, and Charles S. Bernly, Secretary, of The New Castle lndustrial Company. on the same date, and contains four hundred and twenty six lots, no blocks designated.

Heller, McIntyre and Dittman's Rosedale addition, situated immediately east of South Park addition, between South Fourteenth Street and the New Castle and Rushville division of the Lake Erie and Western railway, was platted January 11, 1902, and was acknowledged by Myer Heller, Robert H. McIntyre and William Dittman, on the same date and contains fifty five lots, no blocks designated.

Higdon's first addition, situated immediately south of The Speeder Cycle Company's addition, between South Main and South Fourteenth streets, was platted May 12, 1902, and was acknowledged by Emma Higdon and Gilman H. Higdon, on the same date, and contains eight and sixty seven hundredths acres, divided into forty lots, no blocks designated.

Charles S. Hernly's second addition, situated immediately northwest of FIernly's first addition, on the south side of Plum Street and east side of South Twenty Second Street, was platted June 10, 1902, and was acknowledged by Charles S. Hernly, Elizabeth Hernly and Eli Bond, on the same date, and contains forty lots, no blocks designated.

Hartman's first addition, situated immediately north of Elder's second addition, on the west side of North Ninth Street, was platted January 25, 1902, and was acknowledged by Daniel Hartman and Rebecca Hartman, on the same date, and contains seven lots, no blocks designated.

Compion's addition, situated south of the East School House grounds and south of the Panhandle railway, was platted July 22, 1902, and was acknowledged by Sanford W. Compton and Dorcas I. Compton, on the same date, and contains six lots, no blocks designated.

Klein, Heller and Weil's addition, situated in the southwest part of town immediately north of South Mound Cemetery, between South Ninth and South Eleventh streets, was platted August 28, 1902, and was acknowledged by Sallie H. Klein, August 28, 1902, and by Adolph Klein, August 30, 1902, and by Herbert Heller, Herman Weil and Minnie Weil, September 4, 1902, and contains twenty five lots, no blocks designated.

The Simon T. Powell addition, situated immediately south of Rue and Holman's addition and being the Simon T. Powell homestead or out lot No. 2, Miles Murphey's addition, was platted August 9, 1902, and was acknowledged by Melvina Powell, on the same date, and contains twelve lots, no blocks designated.

Pitman's addition, situated immediately north of Loer's second addition in the northeast part of towns, on the north side of East Spring Street, was platted October 21, 1902, and was acknowledged by Edward E. Pitman and Nina L Pitman, on the same date, and contains forty lots, no blocks designated.

Thomas M. Randle's first addition, situated immediately east of the first Industrial addition, between A. and I avenues, in the southeast part of town, was platted November 19, 1903, and was acknowledged by Thomas M. Randle and Ella A. Randle, on the same date, and contains four hundred and forty lots, no blocks designated.

Newton F. Williams' addition, situated immediately west of the Robert M. Nixon Heirs' addition, on the east side of South Ninth Street, was platted March 12, 1903, and was acknowledged by Newton F. Williams and Blanche Williams, on the same date, and contains four and seventy hundredths acres, divided into twenty one lots, no blocks designated.

The Elliott Farm addition, situated immediately south of the Jehu T. Elliott Heirs' addition in the southwest part of town, on the west side of South Ninth Street, was platted September 8, 1903, and was acknowledged by The Central Trust and Savings Company, by Robert H. McIntyre, Secretary, Attorney in Fact for the Jehu T. Elliott heirs, on the same date, and contains twenty and ninety four hundredths acres, divided into two divisions, consisting of one hundred and four lots.

William H. Elliott's Homestead addition, situated immediately east of the Jehu T. Elliott Heirs' addition and the Elliott Farm addition, on the south side of West Race Street, between South Ninth and South Eleventh streets, was platted October 21, 1903, and was acknowledged by William H. Elliott and Emma E Elliott, on the same date, and contains twenty eight lots and three out lots, no blocks designated.

John C. Goodwin's subdivision of part of lot 3 and all of lot 2, in block 2, Elizabeth Murphey's addition, was platted November 3, 1903, and was acknowledged by John C, Goodwin, on the same date, and contains but two lots,

Lycurgus L, Burr's addition, situated in Burr's old addition, on the south side of Lincoln Avenue, between South Main and South Eleventh streets, was platted March 22, 1904, and was acknowledged by Lycurgus L. Burr and Martha Burr, on the same date, and contains fourteen lots, no blocks designated,

Eliza J, Elliott's first addition, situated immediately east of Elder's first addition, on the east side of North Ninth and north side of West Vine streets, was platted June 6, 1904, and was acknowledged by Eliza J, Elliott, on the same date, and contains six lots, no blocks designated,

Mote and Lohr's first addition, situated southwest of Powell's second addition, on the south side of East Plum Street, was platted and acknowledged by Ida L, Mote and Cora A. Lohr, January 12, 1905, and contains ninety five hundredths acres, divided into five lots, no blocks designated,

When the Legislative Commission, already spoken of in Chapter XXXVII of this History, was in quest of a town site, about one hundred acres of land were proffered by public spirited and interested parties, for the use of the county, on the sole condition that the present site should be chosen. Of this, Absalom Harvey gave twenty eight acres; John Brumfield, twenty eight acres, less two lots; A. Lewis, fourteen acres, Allen Shepherd, ten acres, and Rue and Holman, of Wayne County, subsequent proprietors of the first addition to the town of New Castle, twenty four acres, less five lots reserved.

This nice little patch in the wilderness was placed at the disposal of the County Agent, Ezekiel Leavell, and at once, surveyed, and, by direction of the commissioners, thrown upon the market in July, 1822, This first sale could not have been a great success, as all the money handled by the treasurer for that year amounted to only $154 all told, In August, 1823, another sale was ordered, and the commissioners showed their appreciation of printer's ink by ordering the agent to advertise in the "Richmond Weekly Intelligencer and the Indiana Statesman, a newspaper printed at Connersville," This was followed in a few months by another sale, and still much of New Castle remained a wilderness, and, in May, 1824, the clearing off of the public square was "sold to the lowest bidder," William McKimmey and John Dorrah did the surveying, and received twenty five dollars each for this service,

Charles Jamison was soon after made the first tavern keeper, and, of course, "gave bond to the satisfaction of the Board." In 1823 Isaac Bedsaul, being able to satisfy the Board of County Commissioners that he was the proper party, was licensed to "keep store," His first store room was a twelve by sixteen cabin, with earthen floor and a clapboard counter, resting on stakes driven into the earth. In this region sawmills were as yet unknown and a frame house next to an impossibility. A log cabin was deemed good enough for the proudest, But the town grew apace and by 1833 had about three hundred inhabitants, of whom about one tenth died of the cholera in 1832-3.

The first preaching in the village seems to have been by Father Havens, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was had in a log house opposite the present residence of Dr, William F. Boor, on North Main Street,

The first railroad, the Chicago and Great Eastern, now a part of the great Pennsylvania system, was completed to New Castle in 1854, and in the language of the song of that time-

"In eighteen hundred and fifty four "The cars
ran into the depot door,"

Of Ezekiel Leavell, the county agent for the sale of the lots, Judge Martin L. Bundy, being requested to give his recollections, says : "I knew Ezekiel Leavell very well; he lived to be an old man, He owned a farm on the Nettle Creek road, near Jacob Thorp, the old bell maker, and near Jesse Forcer on the north and south road through Liberty Township, about two miles south of the present village of Millville, I knew him as county agent who sold the lots and afterward as sheriff of the county, He was a Kentuckian, a warm supporter of Henry Clay, and in my opinion he was most influential in haying the town and county named after New Castle, Henn County, Kentucky, I have often said the town should have been named after one of the first settlers, either Woodward, Jamison or Hobson. When I carried the mail from Centreville to Noblesville, I delivered a newspaper to old man Leavell and Judge Thorp that was in 1835, and I think Leavell lived ten years after that,"

The population of New Castle, according to the census of 1900, was 3,406 since which time it has largely increased.

There are three banks in the town. In the chapter in this History on "Banks and Banking" will be found a full account of these together with mention of others now in existence, In the chapter in this History entitled "Newspapers, Past and Present" will be found a full account of the three newspapers now published in New Castle, together with the obituaries of several now defunct,

On page 42 of this History will he found a list of the postmasters from April 12. 1823, to the present time, together with the names of the ten rural route carriers connected with the postoffice, New Castle is the only postoffice that has ever existed in Henry Township,


Return to [ Indiana History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Indiana Biographies ]


Indiana Counties at this web site - Cass - Clay - Dearborn - Elkhart - Fayette - Gibson - Hancock - Hendrick - Henry - Miami - Monroe - Montgomery - Porter - Posey - Putnam - Rush - St. Joseph - Tippecanoe - Wabash

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy