CHARITIES AND CEMETERIES
In the early days of Indiana's history the poor were taken care of by the townships, each township having one
or more overseers of the poor. It was customary for these overseers to "farm out" the adult paupers and
"bind out" the children. The results obtained by this method were not always satisfactory. The person
who was the highest bidder for the services of some unfortunate poor man or woman was frequently more interested
in "getting his money's worth" than in the welfare of his bond servant, and the treatment of paupers
under this system was not always humane. At the first term of the county commissioners' court William N. Hood and
William M. Reyburn were appointed overseers of the poor of Peru township, but the records do not show what they
did in caring for the unfortunate under their charge.
To the credit of Miami county it can be said that the practice of "farming out" paupers did not last
long after the county was organized, if it were ever inaugurated at all. In May, 1835, the board of commissioners
issued an order directing William N. Hood to purchase a tract of land in the northeast quarter of section 3, township
27, range 4, as a site for a county poor asylum. This tract is in the eastern part of Jefferson township, near
the northern boundary of Peru township and about a mile south of the little hamlet of Courter. The price paid by
the county was $20.80. Experience had taught other counties that the poor could be more cheaply kept in an institution
of this kind than by the old methods of the township overseers, and at the same time the unfortunates were more
likely to receive proper treatment on account of the responsibility being centered in the management of the county
asylum instead of being distributed among the township overseers and those who had bought the services of paupers
by being the highest bidders.
Although the preliminary steps for the establishment of an asylum were taken in the purchase of this land, several
years passed before anything further was done. There was no pressing need for such an institution, as there was
plenty of work for all who were able to perform it. and the county revenues were not equal to the demand in the
first few years of its history. About 1845 the commissioners appointed I. M. DeFrees and Samuel Glass to contract
for and superintend the erection of two houses "to be constructed of hewn logs 12 by 8 inches, the buildings
to be two stories high. The first story to be 8 feet 6 inches in the clear, and the second to be 7 feet 6 inches
in the clear. One house to be 26 by 18 feet and the other 18 feet square, to be placed 8 feet apart, and in the
center of the land previously bought by said county."
The contract for the erection of the two log houses was awarded to George W. Meeks for $365. They were completed
in due time and in March, 1846, were accepted by the commissioners. These two log houses constituted Miami county's
first asylum for the poor. O. E. Noland was appointed superintendent and at the close of his first year reported
that not a single inmate had been sent to the asylum.
In the course of time the provisions were found to be inadequate to the demand, owing to the growth of population
and the consequent increase in the number of indigent inhabitants. The old farm in Jefferson township was therefore
sold to Charles Pefferman for $1,000 and the southwest quarter of section 3, township 26, range 4, was purchased
for $6,400 as a site for a new county asylum. This tract is located in Washington township, on the old Strawtown
road and about a mile south of the city of Peru. On April 2, 1864, the board of commissioners entered into a contract
with John Clifton to erect a poor house on the premises and ordered that $350 be paid the said Clifton as part
of the contract price of the building. On July 12, 1864, the board accepted the poor house as complete and ordered
the payment of $310 as the balance due the contractor.
The building erected at this time served as the county asylum for the poor until July 28, 1877, when a contract
was made with Wampler & Clifton to furnish all material (except the brick and stone foundation walls) and erected
a poor asylum for the sum of $6,472.78. A barn had been built in 1873 at a cost of $700, and some additions have
since been made to the main building, which is a brick structure two stories in height, with a basement, and containing
in all forty eight rooms. Besides the barn, the principal out buildings are the washhouse, bakery, milkhouse, carpenter
and butcher shops. The kitchen is in the basement of the main building and the dining rooms - one for the men and
another for the women - are on the first floor. Recently a small hospital was built for the treatment of certain
contagious and infectious diseases. Altogether the county has expended over $20,000 in the establishment of this
institution. While this sum is much less than that expended by some of the Indiana counties for a similar purpose.
Miami county has a poor asylum that is ample for all demands under normal conditions.
About 1889 Levi P. Miller, one of the early settlers of Jefferson township and a devout member of the German Baptist
church, donated a site and erected a building near Mexico for an "Old Folks' and Orphan Children's Home,"
on condition that the churches of his denomination in what is known as the Middle District of Indiana support the
institution. When the home was first opened the old folks and children were kept together, but it was soon discovered
that the playfulness of the young ones was sometimes annoying to the elder inmates, or that the sedateness of the
old served to check the natural tendency of the children to amuse themselves. Other buildings were therefore erected
so that the homes are kept separate, though under the same management. Orphans are received from a number of counties
in central and northern Indiana and are well cared for at the home, at a charge of twenty five cents per day for
each child, until suitable homes can be found for them. The institution is under the control of a board of five
directors, selected by the German Baptist church, and for a number of years Rev. Frank Fisher has held the position
of superintendent. Mr. Fisher publishes a paper called The Orphan, which has a large circulation in Indiana and
adjoining states. Although the home is not, strictly speaking, a charitable institution in the sense that it dispenses
alms or aid in a general way, it has done a great work in finding homes for orphan children and in caring for old
people, who might otherwise have become a charge upon the county.
The Peru Associated Charities was organized on October 16, 1891, when Charles H. Brownell was elected president;
J. H. Fetter, first vice president; Dr. J. O. Ward, second vice president; Mrs. Moses Puterbaugh, secretary; W.
A. Woodring, treasurer. About two weeks later Mr. Brownell resigned the presidency and R. P. Effinger was elected
to the vacancy. The objects of the organization are to extend relief to, and find employment for, the worthy poor.
After a few years the "men folks" turned the society over to the women. Mrs. Milton Shirk, who first
proposed the organization of the associated charities, was then elected president. She was succeeded by Mrs. Hazen
Pomeroy, who in turn was succeeded by Mrs. E. W. Shirk, the present incumbent. The other officers at the beginning
of the year 1914 were: Mrs. Samuel Porter, vice president; Mrs. Moses Puterbaugh, secretary; Mrs. R. H. Cole, treasurer.
It is worthy of note that Mrs. Puterbaugh has been secretary of the organization from the beginning, and the only
person who has ever served in that position. Mrs. Hattie Hale and Mrs. M. S. Robinson were active workers during
the early years of the organization.
In addition to the above officers there is a corps of "friendly visitors," whose duty it is to investigate
the character of all persons asking for aid, and who constitute the active membership. These visitors at the beginning
of the year 1914 were as follows: First ward, Mrs. N. W. Van Osdol and Mrs. C. W. Myers; Second ward, Mrs. G. W.
Kenny and Mrs. Will Koontz; Third ward, Miss Harriet Hackley and Mrs. William Charters; Fourth ward, Mrs. Harry
Miller and Mrs. George C. Miller; South Peru, Mrs. Frank Dunn; Ridgeview, Mrs John Crume and Mrs. Mills Hathaway.
Funds for the relief work of the association are raised by soliciting contributions, by giving charity balls, and
by donations from the various fraternal societies. Fortunately there are but few people in Peru and its environs
who are not self sustaining and there have been comparatively few calls for assistance. In such eases the associated
charities have always been ready to grant relief, where the applicants were deserving.
The Aaron N. Dukes Memorial Hospital, at Peru, is the gift of one of Miami county's well known citizens. For several
years prior to his death Captain Aaron N. Dukes had under contemplation the establishment of some kind of an institution
that would be of benefit to the people of Miami county and the city of Peru. About 1908 he secured the site at
the corner of Twelfth and Grant streets and erected thereon a building for a hospital, at a cost of some $35,000.
This building was placed in charge of a board of nine trustees, viz.: Rev. Harry Nyce, James Fetter, George C.
Miller, Sr., John J. Kreutzer, Henry Meinhardt, Felix Levy, N. N. Antrim, R. H. Bouslog and John Unger.
Unfortunately no provision was made for an equipment or for current expenses, so that the building was allowed
to stand idle for some time after it was completed. During this period Mr. Antrim and Mr. Bouslog resigned from
the board of trustees. The hospital was first used as a place of refuge at the time of the great flood in March,
1913. The flood relief committee sent to the hospital such furniture and other materials as they could command
as a temporary equipment, in order to care for the flood sufferers who became ill from exposure. That committee,
composed of R. A. Edwards, F. D. Butler and Rev. Ambrose Bailey, supplied food and paid the expenses of maintaining
the hospital as long as the flood victims remained ill, expending in all about $1,300. At the instigation of the
relief committee, and executive committee - Dr. E. H. Andrews, James Fetter and John Unger took charge of the actual
hospital work, all supplies being furnished upon the requisition of this committee.
After the flood the seven trustees elected Dr. E. H. Griswold and Dr. E. H. Andrews to the vacancies on the board
caused by the resignations of Antrim and Bouslog. The executive committee during the flood was made a permanent
executive board, with Dr Andrews as chairman, and preparations were commenced to equip the hospital and make it
a permanent institution. The work of soliciting contributions for this purpose began and resulted as follows: The
operating room was furnished by the doctors, dentists and lawyers of Peru, who raised the money by baseball games
with themselves as the players; the sterilizing room was furnished by the Peru high school class of 1913 and the
county officials, part of the necessary funds having been raised by a game of baseball; Mrs. C. V. Brooke gave
a dressing cabinet in memory of her mother; the ladies of the Christian and Baptist churches each furnished a room;
the Martha and Mary class of the Methodist Episcopal church furnished a room; rooms were also furnished by the
lodges of Elks, Eagles, Owls and Modern Woodmen, the Jewish ladies, the Peru Drama League and the Carpenters' union;
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows furnished the dormitory for the nurses; the Masonic fraternity equipped the
superintendent's room, and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers furnished the office. Early in the summer of
1913 a ladies' auxiliary to the hospital association was organized with Mrs. Max Gunsberger, president: Mrs. J.
P. Spooner, secretary, and Mrs. Grant, treasurer. The objects of this auxiliary were to provide the necessary table
ware, linen, etc., and to furnish the third floor for the reception of charity patients. These good women did their
work so well that a goodly supply of both table and bed linen was accumulated and each of the two rooms on the
third floor was equipped with ten beds, the total value of the auxiliary's supplies amounting to about $2,500.
The hospital has thirty five beds and at the close of the year 1913 possessed an equipment worth about $5,000,
without a dollar of indebtedness. The county commissioners of Miami county appropriated $1,500 annually for the
treatment of persons who are unable to pay for hospital services, and the other expenses are taken care of by the
Captain Dukes, who built this hospital as a gift to the community, was a prince among men. He was a man of excellent
business qualifications, of upright Christian character and philanthropic disposition. He came by the rank of captain
by virtue of service in the war with the Sioux Indians in Minnesota. At that time he had large landed interests
at Mankato, Minnesota, not far from the seat of war, and subsequently laid out several additions to that city.
After coming to Peru he was for years the receiver for the old Howe sewing machine factory, and after bringing
it out of its financial straits became manager of it under the new name of the Indiana Manufacturing Company, serving
in that capacity until his death in 1912. The handsome hospital he donated and intended to endow, had he lived
to complete his work, is generally known as the Dukes Hospital, though the association which operates it is known
as the Miami County Hospital Association, as it is dependent upon the public of the county for its support, for
all of whose citizens it has an open door.
In 1884 the Wabash Railroad Company adopted the plan of establishing a hospital for the benefit of its employes
and in 1886 a frame building was erected in the northwestern part of Peru, on the elevation that afterward became
known as "Hospital Hill." This building was used for about ten years, but in 1896 a handsome brick building
was erected on the Mexico road, which is a continuation of Broadway, in the town of Ridgeview. The institution
is known as the Wabash Railway Employees Hospital, though on a number of occasions passengers injured in wrecks
or other accidents on the Wabash lines have been taken to the hospital for treatment. By an agreement with the
Wabash Company, the employees of the Lake Erie & Western and the Chesapeake & Ohio railroads are also entitled
to the benefits of the institution. Each railway employee, by paying a small monthly assessment, is entitled to
receive free medical attention, not only for himself, but also for the members of his family. While the institution
is not open to the general public, it is one of the mutual benevolent concerns of Miami county that is doing a
good work in its particular field of charitable endeavor. For nearly a score of years Dr. E. H. Griswold has been
the surgeon in charge.
In the settlement of a new country, one institution that must sooner or later be established, yet one the pioneers
are loath to see make its appearance among them, is a burial place for the dead. Scattered over the county of Miami
are a number of country graveyards, most of which have no special history. When the first death in a community
would occur, some one would donate a piece of ground for a burial place and this would be the beginning of a cemetery.
In many instances no deed of such tract would be made to trustees and entered upon the records. As the old settlers
died or moved away these graveyards fell into disuse, were neglected and in a number of cases only a trace of them
remains. As far as possible a list of these country graveyards is given by townships, and where any one of them
has a recorded history it is noted.
In Allen township the first burial place was laid out on the farm of Matthias Carvey, in Section 18, a short
distance northeast of the present town, of Macy. Among the early burials here were a Mr. and Mrs. Bailey, Matthias
Carvey and a child of William Hakins. This place is still called the Carvey cemetery. Not long after it was established
a graveyard was laid out at Five Corners, in the southwestern part of the township, where Matthias Harmon, Nathan
Bryant and a number of the early settlers in that part of the county were buried. Many of the graves in this old
cemetery are unmarked and the names of those buried in them have been forgotten.
The most important cemetery in Allen township at the present time is the Plain View cemetery at Macy. It is located
in the southeast quarter of section 13, township 29, range 3, just west of the town, and had its beginning in 1890,
when the Odd Fellows' lodge at Macy bought three acres of ground and laid out a cemetery. On October 17, 1908,
a new plat of the cemetery was filed for record by Benjamin F. Zartman, John C. Moore and Manoah W. Tracy, trustees
of Allen Lodge, No. 540, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The new plat shows two hundred and nine lots, each twelve
by twenty seven feet in size, except a few along the west side, and there is also a section set apart for individual
burials. Mrs. Sarah M Champ was the first person to be interred in this cemetery. The place is well fenced and
properly cared for by the Odd Fellows, though persons not members of that order may avail themselves of the benefits
of the burial place.
The oldest burial ground in Butler township, of which there is any account, is the Clayton cemetery, in the northeastern
part of the township. James and Thomas Clayton were among the pioneers that settled along the Mississinewa river
below Peoria, and James Clayton died a few years after coining to Miami county. He was one of the first persons
to be buried in this graveyard, which still bears the family name. Several Indians were buried here before the
Miamis left for their new reservation in Kansas, but their names have been forgotten. About two miles west of the
village of Peoria, in the southeast corner of section 7 and a short distance northwest of the Presbyterian church,
is a small graveyard that grew up about the time the church was established there in the fall of 1863, but it cannot
be learned who was the first person to be buried limit.
Another old graveyard in Butler township is located in the northwest corner of section 22, about a mile and half
of south of Peoria. A Christian church was built near this point about 1868, but it is not known whether the graveyard
was established by the church or not. There is a sort of tradition, not very well founded, that some burials had
been made there before the church was founded.
At the May term of the county commissioners' court in 1903 a petition was filed asking for the incorporation of
a cemetery association at Peoria. The matter was continued until the next term, in order to give the petitioners
an opportunity to give the proper notice of an intention to ask for such an incorporation, and on June 1, 1903,
the Peoria Cemetery Association was regularly incorporated, to have and to hold a certain tract of ground in section
10, township 26, range 5. Alfred Ramsey, former county commissioner, headed the movement for the organization of
the association. This is the only incorporated and regularly recorded cemetery association in Butler township.
In the atlas of Miami county published by Kingman Brothers in 1877, and also on a map of Miami county published
by Rand, McNally & Company in 1905, two cemeteries are shown in Clay township. One of these is located near
the United Brethren church in section 28, about a mile and a half east of Bennett's Switch, and the other is a
short distance southwest of the village of Waupecong.
Near the north line of section 23, in the western part of Deer Creek township, is an old cemetery that was once
the churchyard of the Baptist church founded there in 1849. A number of the pioneers of the township were buried
here during the existence of the church, but since the congregation was disbanded in 1893 the cemetery has fallen
into decay through neglect and is rarely used. In the southern part of section 36, in the same township and not
far from the Howard county line, is another small burial place; there is also a graveyard on the middle fork of
Deer creek, in the northeast corner of section 29, about a mile east of Bennett's Switch, and another is situated
in the east side of section 17, on the south bank of Deer creek and a short distance east of the village of Miami.
The county atlas and map above referred to show three cemeteries in Erie township. The first is situated near the
United Brethren church in section 8, in the northern part; the second is near the old Methodist church in the southeast
corner of section 10, and the third is in the southwest quarter of section 21, just north of the Wabash railroad
and in what was once the Joseph Richardville reserve.
In the extreme northern part of Harrison township, just north of Pipe creek in the northwest quarter of section
5, and a short distance southwest of the village of Santa Fe, is an old country graveyard in which some of the
early settlers of that part of the county found their last resting place. The McGrawsville Methodist church has
a cemetery near that village; there is another just east of the village of North Grove; one in the northwestern
part of section 8, north of the Pan Handle railroad; and there is an old burial ground in the southeastern part
of the township that was once maintained by, the Wesleyan Methodist church of Cary, but it is no longer used, except
on rare occasions.
The first cemetery in Jackson township was laid out on the farm of Thomas Mason and the first burial there was
that of an infant child of Thomas and Mary Addington This graveyard, afterward known as the Xenia cemetery, was
the beginning of the principal burial place at Converse, though in recent years it has been greatly enlarged and
improved. Second in importance is the cemetery just north of Amboy, in the northern part of section 23, which is
the principal place of interment for the people of the town and a large district of the surrounding country. There
is an old cemetery in the south side of section 2, on the bank of Pipe creek and on section 1, about a mile farther
east is what was once known as the South Grove Protestant cemetery. About half a mile northwest of Converse is
the churchyard of the Friends or Quakers, where the members of that denomination and their friends bury their departed.
As narrated in Chapter VIII, the first person to die in Jefferson township was Solomon Wilkinson, who was buried
just west of the town of Mexico. That was the beginning of the Mexico cemetery. Other members of the Wilkinson
family were among the early burials here. What is known as the Walling graveyard was established in the southwestern
part of the township as early as 1836. Mrs. Burrell Daniels, whose husband built the first gristmill in the township,
was buried here. This graveyard was abandoned as a burial place many years ago and the few graves there are now
The Eel River cemetery, located in section 2, township 27, range 3, about two miles west of Mexico, was established
by the members of the Eel River chapel about 1838. On March 6, 1911, a plat of the cemetery was filed in the office
of the county recorder, by W. H. Myers, though it has been used as a burial ground ever since it was first laid
out three quarters of a century ago.
There are two cemeteries kept up by the German Baptists in Jefferson township - one in connection with the church
about half a mile north of Mexico and the other in section 27, township 28, range 5, about half a mile east of
the village of Courter. In the cemetery at Mexico are several graves of old people and children who were inmates
of the Old Folks' and Orphan Children's Home mentioned earlier in this chapter.
In Perry township one of the oldest burial places is located in the east side of section 15, on the north bank
of Squirrel creek and not far from the county line. It was kept up for a number of years by the Niconza Baptist
church, but after the church went down the cemetery fell into disuse. Brant & Fuller's History of Miami County
(page 719), in mentioning the death of James Bunton - the first death in Perry township - says: "He was buried
in the Niconza graveyard, one of the oldest cemeteries in the county."
There is an old cemetery in Perry township in the western part of section 4, "near the prairie," about
a mile and a half west of the Wabash county line and near the northern boundary of the township. Another cemetery
is situated in the western part of section 7, just north of Gilead and is the principal burial place for the people
of that village and the neighboring rural districts.
Peru township, being the site of the city of Peru, is naturally better supplied with burial grounds than any other
in the county, and its cemeteries are larger, better kept as a rule and more pretentious than are those of the
smaller towns and country districts. Mount Hope cemetery was laid out about the year 1845 and comprised about three
acres of ground. In course of time this land was all sold for burial purposes and at such low prices that there
were no funds with which to keep the cemetery in repair. In 1881 the Mount Hope Cemetery Association was duly incorporated
by the commissioners of Miami county and in 1884 an assessment of $6 per lot was levied for the purpose of providing
funds for the improvement of the grounds. In 1908 another assessment of $2.50 per lot was levied, and some money
was willed to the association as an endowment.
The Oak Grove Cemetery Association was organized on March 30, 1868, and by various purchases acquired about seventeen
and one half acres of land, adjacent to and surrounding the Mount Hope cemetery on the north and west.
On February 6, 1912, a new Mount Hope Cemetery Association was formed by the consolidation of the two above mentioned
associations and was incorporated on that date by order of the commissioners of Miami county. At that time the
assets of the old Mount Hope association were $281.42 in cash and $1,900 loaned at six per cent on first mortgage
security. The assets of the Oak Grove association consisted of $285.58 in cash and nearly ten acres of unsold land,
upon which there was a mortgage of $3,000. By the consolidation of the two associations the lands of the new association
were made available for an extension of burial grounds and the cash and endowment fund of the old one gave the
new organization a fair working capital for immediate needs.
New by-laws were adopted by the lot owners of the Mount Hope Cemetery Association on February 3, 1913, at which
time the following officers were elected: Charles H. Brownell, president; Frank M. Stutesman, vice president; Henry
S. Bailey, secretary; Joseph H. Shirk, treasurer; Nott N. Antrim, Walter C. Bailey, George C. Miller, Sr., and
Henry Kittner, directors. Under the revised by-laws each owner of a lot or part of a lot is a stockholder in the
association, but no pecuniary benefit of profit shall come to him by virtue of such relationship The by-laws also
provide that each lot shall pay an annual assessment of $2 and each fraction of a lot an assessment of $1 for the
maintenance of the cemetery, and for the same purpose each single burial space shall pay an assessment of fifty
Mount Hope is beautifully situated in the eastern part of section 28, just north of the city limits and under the
new organization the cemetery promises to become one of the prettiest in central Indiana. Provisions have been
made for building up a general endowment fund, the income from which will be used for the care of the cemetery,
and in addition to this general fund the association has made provision for a special endowment fund to consist
of money or securities given to the association with the understanding that the income shall be used to beautify
a certain lot or section of the cemetery.
The Catholic cemetery, north of the Wabash railroad, and some distance west of the city limits, was bought early
in the '60s, while Father Bernard Force was pastor of the St. Charles parish, and was consecrated according to
the ritual of the church as a burial place for Catholics. Adjoining the Catholic cemetery is that of the Lutherans,
which is a typical churchyard, neatly kept and sufficiently large to answer all demands of the congregation that
uses it as a burial ground. In section 32, at the west end of the city of Peru and immediately east of the Catholic
cemetery, is what is known as the Reyburn graveyard, so named from one of the pioneers families of the city, some
of whose members were buried there in early days. The atlas of 1877 shows an old Methodist cemetery in the north
side of section 11, about two and a half miles north of the city on the road leading to Chili, and east of that
road is the old Tillett graveyard, where several of the Tillett family and their neighbors lie buried.
Pipe Creek township is well supplied with burial places. In the east side of section 5, near the northern boundary
of the township and east of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad, is an old graveyard that served as a place of
interment for the early settlers in that neighborhood. This cemetery has been supplanted by one established by
the United Brethren church about a mile farther west. There is an old burial ground in the north side of section
14, on what is known as the Medsker farm, not far from the Cass county line. About a mile south of this cemetery
is one established by the Christian church soon after the close of the Civil war, and there is also a cemetery
a short distance west of the town of Bunker Hill.
In Richland township, near the center of section 1 and about two miles east of the old village of Wooleytown, is
what is left of an old graveyard established in an early day. The oldest cemetery in the township, however, is
the one at Chili, which was laid out some time prior to 1840. There is also a graveyard in connection with the
German Baptist church in section 3, near the northwest corner of the township, and another at the Baptist church
at Chili. The last mentioned is situated on the bank of the Eel river a short distance below the town.
The Paw Paw cemetery, in Richland township, was consecrated as a burial place in 1840 and the first person to be
buried there was Margaret, daughter of Richard and Amy Miller. On January 5, 1904, the tract of land including
the cemetery was conveyed to the trustees of the Paw Paw Methodist Episcopal church by Margaret Miller. A plat
of the cemetery was filed in the office of the county recorder on August 13, 1913, the trustees at that time being
Thomas F Black, E. B. Miller and Clarence Grogg. This cemetery is located in section 16, township 28, range 5,
a short distance west of the old village of Paw Paw.
Referring again to the old atlas and map previously mentioned, three cemeteries are noted in Union township One
is situated in the northeast quarter of section 33, about a mile northeast of Deedsville; the second is near the
Missionary Baptist church in the southern part of section 7, near Weesau creek and about three miles northwest
of the town of Denver; and the third is in section 16, just north of the old Weesau Indian reservation.
In Washington township the Wickler graveyard in the south side of section 15, about two miles south of the county
asylum, is one of the oldest cemeteries. It was established at a very early day and one of the first persons to
be buried there was a child of Robert Love. The roads were in such condition at the time that it was difficult
for vehicles to pass over them and the little coffin was carried to the graveyard on horseback by a Mr. Miller.
Mr. Love, the father of the child, was also buried here a little later.
The Rankin graveyard, in the southwestern part of the township, is located on what was once known as the Bearss
farm, on Big Pipe creek and about two miles east of Bunker Hill. It is one of the old graveyards of Washington
township. Caleb Adams and a Mrs. Harter were among the first persons to be buried in this cemetery.
Shortly after the United Brethren church known as Crider chapel was built in 1869, a cemetery was established in
connection with the church. It is located in the northeast corner of section 24, near Little Pipe creek and is
still used as a place of interment by the members of the church and the residents in the neighborhood.
Near the northwest corner of the township, in section 4, is an old graveyard on the bank of Little Pipe creek,
and in the extreme southwest corner, just south of Big Pipe creek, is the old Hawes graveyard. John, Bernard and
Conrad Hawes settled in this locality in the early '40s and one of them (it is not definitely known which) was
the first person to be buried here. Another early burial in this cemetery was a man named Larimer and several pioneer
families used it as a burial place for many years.