THE CITY OF PERU
Peru, the county seat and only incorporated city of Miami county, is situated on the north bank of the Wabash
river, a little southwest of the geographical center of the county. Its history begins with the treaty negotiated
with the Miami Indians at the mouth of the Mississinewa river on October 23, 1826, at which time John B. Richardville,
the principal chief of the Miamis, was granted, among other tracts of land, a reservation of one section where
the city now stands. The following February John McGregor built a small cabin on the western part of this reservation
and he has the credit of being the first white man to establish a permanent domicile within the present limits
of Miami county. On August 18, 1827, Richardville and his wife, Pem-e-se-quah, conveyed this section to Joseph
Holman for a consideration of $500, and it is said that part of the purchase price was "paid in trade,"
instead of all cash.
On March 3, 1828, the transfer of this land was approved by President John Quincy Adams and on January 7, 1829,
Holman sold 210 acres of the east end of the section to William N. Hood for $500 - just what he had paid for the
entire section less than four months before. It was Holman's ambition to found a town on the remaining portion
of his land and on March 12, 1829, David Burr, a surveyor employed for the purpose by Mr. Holman, laid out the
town of Miamisport on the southwest quarter of the section. The original plat of Miamisport shows four streets
running east and west - Water, Jackson, Market and Canal - and six streets running north and south - Clay, Cherry,
Produce, Main, Walnut and Richardville. Provisions were also made for a public square and a market place.
At that time the territory now comprising Miami county was a part of Cass county, which included all the present
counties of Cass, Miami, Wabash, Fulton, Marshall, Kosciusko, Elkhart and St. Joseph, and parts of Starke, Pulaski
and Laporte. Settlers were beginning to come into the Wabash valley and it was evident that the county of Cass
would soon be divided and a number of new counties formed. Then, too, there was already some talk of a canal to
connect the waters of the Great Lakes with the Ohio river, following the course of the Wabash, and Mr. Holman hoped
to establish a town that would at once become the county seat of a new county and a commercial center on the line
of the canal, in case it was built. Part of his dream was realized, as Miamisport was for a brief spell the seat
of justice of Miami county in 1834.
Graham gives the names of Louis Drouillard, Benjamin H. Scott, Andrew and Isaac Marquiss, Abner Overman, Zephaniah
Wade, Z. W. Pendleton, Walter D. Nesbit, William N. Hood and Joseph Holman as the residents at Miamisport about
the time the town was laid out. Concerning the early business enterprises, the same authority says: "G. W.
Holman, mindful of the soles of the early settlers, tanned their hides and furnished leather at this point, while
John McGregor, equally thoughtful about their bodies, opened a tavern. He also looked after their letters as postmaster
and regulated their morals by holding the scales of the blind goddess in exact equipoise, as justice of the peace.
Captain Louis Drouillard was one of the 'merchant princes.' He lived at the east end of Water street, where he
had a store for trade with the Indians and supplied the modest wants of the people at low prices, and never dreamed
of being offered 'A silver pound to row us o'er the ferry,' which he kept at that point, for the price fixed by
law was, for a man, six and a fourth cents, and a man and horse, twenty five cents."
It is to be regretted that not more is known of the early settlers of Miamisport. Joseph Holman, the proprietor
of the town, was born in Kentucky in 1788 and in 1820 removed to Wayne county, Indiana. During the administration
of President John Q. Adams he was land commissioner at Fort Wayne and just before Miami county was erected represented
the district composed of Allen and Cass counties in the legislature. In 1839 he returned to Wayne county, where
he died in 1872. He was an active politician during the greater part of his mature life and was a delegate to the
convention that framed the present constitution of Indiana. His first residence in Miami county was a small cabin
on the bank of the Wabash river, a short distance below the town of Miamisport, where he lived for several years,
when he built a stone house on Holman street between Main and Third streets, within the present limits of Peru.
Subsequently he built a frame house on his farm and lived there until he went back to Wayne county.
William N. Hood, one of the most influential men in the early history of the county and founder of the city of
Peru, was born in Ohio in 1791. When only about eighteen years of age he came to Indiana, first locating at Fort
Wayne, where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits for several years and amassed considerable wealth for that period.
In 1831 he came to Miami county and in 1836 was elected to represent the counties of Cass and Miami in the state
legislature. He was again elected representative in 1838, and died in July of that year, soon after the expiration
of the legislative session
Walter D. Nesbit, another pioneer, was born in Ohio in 1811 and came to Miamisport with his mother and sister in
the fall of 1830. A rude log but was hastily erected, in which they lived during the winter. Before locating at
Miamisport the family had lived for about two months at Logansport. Mr. Nesbit continued to be a resident of the
county until his death in April, 1895. He was the first supervisor of the county. In 1832 he married Miss Lonana
Riley, who survived him after a married life of more than sixty years.
Z. W. Pendleton kept a tavern and is said to have been "one of the best fiddlers in the Wabash valley."
This qualification made him a popular figure at the country dances, but after a short residence in the county he
moved away and all subsequent history of him has been lost.
Abner Overman, who was the first treasurer of Miami county, left for fields unknown a few years after the expiration
of his term of office; Louis Drouillard died in 1847; Andrew and Isaac Marquiss both died at an early day, though
some of their descendants still reside in the county.
William M. Reyburn, a native of Virginia, where he was born on October 21, 1792, grew to manhood in Ohio, where
about 1829 he was licensed to preach by the Methodist conference. In October, 1831, he came to what is now Miami
county and settled on a tract of land immediately west of that bought from Richardville by Joseph Holman. Before
coming to Indiana he had served as a soldier in the war of 1812 and had held the rank of major in the Ohio militia.
He represented Miami county in both branches of the state legislature and served three years as county commissioner.
He was one of the first Methodist ministers in Miami county and was always a willing helper of every movement for
the betterment of the community. He died on June 1, 1854.
The boundaries of the old town of Miamisport are now marked by Main street on the north; LaFayette street on the
east; Holman street on the west, and the Wabash river on the south. During the first five years of its existence
its growth was "slow but sure" and its founder had hopes that some day it would become a town of importance
on the great Wabash & Erie canal. Then a rival sprang up that blighted the prospects of Miamisport and in time
blotted it from the map. It will be remembered that William N. Hood had bought 210 acres of the east end of Holman's
section in January, 1829. Whether it was his intention at the time of the purchase to found a town upon that tract
is not known, but about the time Miami county was organized, early in 1834, he determined to found a town there
and make an effort to secure the county seat. There is a sort of tradition that William M. Reyburn, whose land
adjoined that of Holman on the west, had united with that gentleman to extend the town of Miamisport westward.
This hastened Mr. Hood's action and he engaged Stearns Fisher, an engineer employed on the canal, to plat a town
immediately east of Holman's.
Prior to that time the two men had been good friends. Now they became bitter enemies. Violent words passed between
them on several occasions and the quarrel became a matter of comment for the entire population. Hood went ahead
with his project, however, and although Miamisport had the start of his town by five years he was not dismayed.
In the survey of the town site Dr. James T. Liston and Walter D. Nesbit carried the chain and drove the stakes.
An old document descriptive of the work of the surveyor and his assistants says: "When Peru was laid out the
site was entirely covered with heavy timber and a thick, impenetrable growth of underbrush. Not a rod square was
cleared, I have frequently heard Mr. Fisher say that the men had to precede him and clear away the underbrush so
he could get a sight through his instrument."
Truly not a very encouraging outlook for a town. But Mr. Hood was something of a diplomat. When the commissioners
appointed by the legislature to locate the county seat of Miami county met at the house of John McGregor in June,
1834, he executed a bond, provided the county seat should be located at Peru, to donate the public square and erect
upon it a brick court house and log jail, with some other promises, all of which were fulfilled. He also enlisted
the friendship and influence of the Miamisport merchants by offering to present them lots in Peru, or at least
to sell such lots to them at a merely nominal figure. It is said that some of the best lots on Broadway sold as
low as fifty dollars. The old saying that "Money talks" was certainly true in this instance. Peru secured
the county seat.
Although the sessions of the county commissioners' court continued to be held at Miamisport until May, 1835, it
was evident that the town's hopes of future greatness were forever blasted. On June 9, 1841, the plat was vacated
by the county commissioners upon the request of the residents, though in time the limits of Peru grew out to and
beyond the old plat, which now forms part of the city with the boundaries above noted. No doubt the failure of
his cherished project had great influence in causing Mr. Holman to leave the county a few years after he lost his
fight for the county seat.
In the meantime, soon after Peru was platted, Mr. Hood sold one third of his land to Richard L. Britton and another
one third to Jesse L. Williams, the consideration in each case being $3,000. Britton was a man of considerable
wealth and Williams was one of the leading civil engineers of the west. The deeds of conveyance were dated July
26. 1834. About that time contracts were let for the construction of portions of the canal, extending it still
farther to the westward, and for the building of the dam and locks at Peru. The three proprietors took advantage
of the situation to advertise their first sale of lots. Buyers came from great distances, the lots sold readily,
those fronting on the canal commanding the highest prices. Among those who came in about this time were Daniel
R. Bearss, Albert Cole, James B. Fulwiler, Alexander Wilson and C. R. Tracy, all of whom became more or less prominently
identified with the business interests of the new town.
Daniel R. Bearss was born in Livingston county, New York. August 23, 1809, and was therefore twenty five years
of age when he settled in Peru in August, 1834. His grandfather served under Washington in the Revolutionary war
and his father in the War of 1812. He was reared on a farm and educated in the log school house. In 1828 he went
to Fort Wayne, where he entered the employ of W. G. & G. W. Ewing. who at that time were extensively engaged
in the Indian trade. Soon after Mr. Bearss joined them they opened a branch store or trading house in Logansport,
where he was employed until 1832. He then severed his connection with the Ewings and embarked in the mercantile
business on his own account at Goshen, Indiana, where he continued for about two years. In January, 1834, he married
Miss Emma A., daughter of Judge Albert Cole, and the following August came to Peru as already stated. He paid $150
for the lot at the northeast corner of Third street and Broadway, where the Bearss hotel now stands, and formed
a partnership with his father-in-law for the purpose of carrying on a general merchandising business. This association
lasted but about one year, but Mr. Bearss continued the business until 1844, when he formed a partnership with
Charles Spencer, under the firm name of Bearss & Spencer. Five years later he retired from mercantile life
and devoted his time and attention to looking after his large property interests. Besides the hotel he owned several
business blocks and a number of good farms in Miami county. Mr. Bearss was always interested in political matters.
He was an enthusiastic supporter of Henry Clay for the presidency and was one of the founders of the Republican
party in Miami county. He served three terms in the state senate and two in the house, and held other local offices.
He took a keen interest in the movement to bring railroads to Peru and was a director of both the Indianapolis,
Peru & Chicago and Wabash roads. Early in the year 1884 he went to Hot Springs, Arkansas, hoping to improve
his health, and died there on April 18th of that year.
Albert Cole, for more than forty years intimately connected with the business interests and political fortunes
of Peru. was born at Berlin, Connecticut, May 13, 1790. After the death of his father in 1801, he lived with his
older brother, a farmer, attending the district schools during the winter seasons, and later learned the trades
of tanner and shoemaker. In 1813 he started west and arrived at Cincinnati in the fall of that year, but soon afterward
returned to his native state. In September, 1814, he married Miss Mary Galpin and again started for the west. He
located at Zanesville, Ohio, where he was engaged in farming, tanning and shoemaking until 1833, When he removed
to Goshen, Indiana. In July, 1834, he located in Peru and for about a year was in partnership with his son-in-law,
Daniel R. Bearss, in the mercantile line. When the firm dissolved, Mr. Cole took his share of the goods to Lewisburg,
where he continued in merchandising for another year, at the end of which time he returned to Peru. In 1840 he
was elected one of the associate judges of Miami county and from 1848 to 1851 was postmaster at Peru. He also served
as United States commissioner under President William H. Harrison for the distribution of the surplus revenue.
He died in November, 1878.
James B. Fulwiler, another prominent Peru pioneer, was born in Perry county, Pennsylvania, September 6, 1812. He
received an academic education in his native state and in 1834 came to Peru with a stock of merchandise for Samuel
Pike. On March 7, 1837, he married Miss Pauline, daughter of Francis Avaline, of Fort Wayne, and the next year,
at the solicitation of his friends, he was a candidate for representative in the state legislature from the district
composed of Fulton and Miami counties, but owing to his views with regard to the state system of internal improvements
he was defeated. From 1848 to 1855 he was clerk of Miami county and in 1860 was a delegate to the Baltimore convention
which nominated Stephen A. Douglas for the presidency. When he came to Peru in 1834 he established his store on
the northwest corner of Broadway and Third streets and he continued to be identified with business enterprises
in Peru until some years before his death, when he retired, though he afterward served several terms as justice
of the peace. Three of his sons became prominent in railroad circles and another son, Louis B., was at one time
editor of the Miami County Sentinel.
Stephens' History of Miami County (p. 179), says: "Some one of the surveying party asked Hood what he was
going to call his town and he replied that he didn't care, so it was a short name. A number of names were suggested
and they finally agreed to call the new town Peru." This is the only story the writer has been able to find
explaining how the town received its name, and it is probably correct.
Shortly after the plat was completed Dr. James T. Liston built a large, double, hewed log house on the corner
of Cass and Second streets. which was the first building erected on the original plat. Before the close of the
year 1834 several other residences and a few business houses had been built and the future city of Peru was started
upon its career. During the year 1835 a number of dwellings and a few more business rooms were built, but the year
1837 marked the greatest prosperity experienced by Peru in the first decade of its existence. In that year the
canal was finished and opened for traffic between Peru and Fort Wayne, the dam in the Wabash river and feeder to
the canal were completed, the first newspaper was established, large mills were constructed, and began operations
in the fall, the town boasted three taverns seven dry goods and one grocery store, three physicians, a collegiate
institute, a number of tradesmen, saddlers, carpenters, shoemakers. blacksmiths, etc., and a population estimated
at five hundred inhabitants.
On March 26, 1842, a mass meeting of voters was held to consider the question of incorporating the town. Joseph
L. Reyburn was chosen to preside and James M. DeFrees was elected clerk. After a thorough discussion of the subject,
a town government was formed in accordance with the provisions of "An act providing for the incorporation
of towns," approved February 17, 1838. Peru was then divided into five districts, in each of which was elected
a trustee. The first board of trustees was composed of John Low, Samuel Glass, Joseph L. Reyburn, John Coulter
and Isaac Robertson. On April 2, 1842, these trustees met and organized by the election of Joseph L. Reyburn president,
and James M. DeFrees town clerk. At a subsequent meeting William R. Mowbray was elected treasurer; Samuel Hurst,
lister; and John H. Griggs, marshal. Twelve ordinances were passed by the board at the meetings of April 5 and
11, 1842, viz.: 1. Providing for the assessment of property; 2. Levying a tax of twelve cents on the $100; 3. For
licensing groceries and coffee houses; 4. Establishing the width of sidewalks; 5. Providing for the punishment
of misdemeanors particularly specifying refusal to assist an officer in the discharge of his duty. driving upon
or obstructing the sidewalk, and running or racing horses upon the streets; 6. Regulating shows and exhibitions;
7. For the removal of nuisances; 8. For preventing shooting within the corporate limits of the town; 9. Allowing
taxpayers to work out the amount of their taxes; 10. Regulating the marshal's duties and fees; 11. Amending the
ordinance licensing groceries and coffee houses; 12. Requiring the treasurer to give bond.
No record can be found of any other meeting of this board until March 25, 1843. when a meeting of the board and
citizens generally was assembled "to provide measures for the purpose of arresting ravages by fire."
The citizens voted to require the board to levy and collect a tax to provide hooks and ladders, and resolved: "That
we will use our influence to sustain the board in enforcing all the laws heretofore enacted for the regulation
and government of the town."
Two days later (March 27, 1843), the board levied a tax of twenty cents on the $100 and passed an ordinance providing
for the purchase of five ladders twenty four feet long; five, fourteen feet long; five roof ladders, fifteen feet
long; three fire hooks, with poles not less than twenty two feet long, "all to be painted with Venetian red."
Bids for these ladders were opened at a meeting on April 18, 1843, and the contract to furnish them was awarded
to Alexander Porter for $52.00.
At an election held on May 1, 1843, the following trustees were elected: First district, John Lowe; Second district,
G. S. Fenimore; Third district, J. L. Reyburn; Fourth district, Jacob Fallis; Fifth district, Samuel Hunt. A week
later the new board met and organized by the election of John Lowe as president. On June 5, 1843, the board had
another meeting and accepted the ladders from Mr. Porter, and passed the following ordinance relating to their
distribution, with a penalty for violation of any of its provisions:
"Be it, and it is hereby, ordained by the president and trustees of the town of Peru, that each Trustee be,
and he is hereby, required to take three of the corporation ladders and place them in the most suitable place in
his district, and that one hook be placed in the second district, one in the third and one in the fifth."
This appears to have been the last meeting of the board of trustees under the first town government. On January
11, 1848, a petition, signed by a number of citizens of Peru, praying for the incorporation of the town, was presented
to the house of representatives of the Indiana legislature, then in session. Alphonso A. Cole was at that time
the member for Miami county. The petition was referred to a select committee, consisting of Messrs. Cole, Hamilton
and Trimbly, which reported back the same day a bill for the incorporation of the town. It passed the senate on
February 3, 1848, and was duly approved by the governor. The bill named as councilmen Jacob Fallis, Albert Cole,
James M. DeFrees, George W. Goodrich and Edward H. Bruce, who were to hold until the first election, which was
required to be held within one month after the taking effect of the act. On March 1, 1848, the council named by
the legislature met and elected Albert Cole mayor; Ira Mendenhall, recorder; and C. R. Tracy, treasurer.
The first town election was held on March 13, 1848, when William A. McGregor was elected mayor. On April 7, 1848,
the council levied a tax of fifteen cents on each $100 worth of property for town purposes. The net amount of revenue
derived from this source during the first year was $258.96, to which was added $36.00 received from shows and exhibitions,
and $45.75 as license fees of taverns and groceries, making the total receipts for the first year of the new town
government $341.79. The balance in the treasury at the close of the year in March, 1849, was $221.17. Think of
that! In these days, when so much is being said about an "economical administration of government," it
may be refreshing to note that the disbursements in Peru during the first year after its incorporation by the legislature
were only a little over one third of the receipts. The second year the expenditures were somewhat heavier, as the
grade of Broadway was established by Solomon Holman in 1848 and the next year the grade was made, involving a fill
of two feet or more at points below Main street, at a cost of $387.59. In 1851 a portion of Broadway was graveled,
the first improved street in the town.
The question as to whether hogs should be allowed to run at large seems to have been a "paramount issue"
in the early history of Peru. Says Graham - "For nearly two years the legal learning, the broad statesmanship
and the burning eloquence of our city fathers boiled and seethed around the question of hogs, to impound them or
let them run. Ordinance after ordinance was framed, but there always seemed a crack through which a pig could crawl."
In the records of the town under date of April 26, 1850, is found the following entry: "Comes now Oliver Dyer,
marshal, and reports the sale of 52 hogs impounded by him, to wit:
"42 sold at one cent per head.......
6 sold at three cents per head
3 sold at two cents per head
1 sold for
"Comes now the said Oliver Dyer and presents a claim to the mayor and council for impounding, advertising
and feeding fifty two hogs, amounting to $29.25, with a credit thereon of $1.80, being the amount realized from
the sale of said hogs."
The marshal's claim was referred to a committee consisting of Higgins, Shutz and Hackley, which committee latter
reported adversely, on legal grounds, and added: "Certainly not, when from the best information they are enabled
to obtain, the proceedings were conducted with a special view to running up an account over and above the proceeds
of the sale had under them."
At the same meeting at which the marshal's bill was presented Coleman Henton came forward with a petition, "numerously
signed by citizens of the corporation," praying for the repeal of the "hog law." Four remonstrances
were also presented and both petitions and remonstrances were referred to a committee of three - Higgins. Adkinson
and Brown - which reported the following ordinance:
"Be it ordained by the mayor and common council of the town of Peru, that the ordinance entitled 'An ordinance
to restrain swine from running at large within the corporation of the town of Peru' and all ordinances amendatory
thereto, as also all ordinances or parts of ordinances tending in any manner to restrain swine from the enjoyment
of the largest liberty, be and the same are hereby repealed."
This ordinance seems to have ended the whole matter and taken the "hog out of politics," as no further
reference to the subject can be found in any early history of the town. Some years later - the exact date is uncertain
- the liberty of the hog was again curtailed, but the festive cow was allowed to run at large upon the streets
until about 1891 or 1892, when the council, after much discussion, which at times grew acrimonious, passed an ordinance
prohibiting live stock of any kind from running at large within the corporate limits of the city.
The town government established under the act of 1848 lasted for nearly nineteen years An election was ordered
for February 18, 1867, at which the voters should express themselves for or against the incorporation of Peru as
a city. The result of that election was 350 votes in favor of the proposition and only thirty seven against it.
After the election certain provisions were complied with, and on February 25, 1867, the city was duly incorporated,
with four wards, and a city election ordered for March 11, 1867. At that election Orris Blake was elected mayor;
Ira B. Myers, clerk; William F. Hauk, treasurer; John C. Owens, marshal and street commissioner; Martin Swauger,
assessor; James M. Brown, city civil engineer; Gotlieb Conradt and Jacob Weist, councilmen for the First ward;
R. P. Effinger and Alpha Buckley, for the Second ward; William Deniston and Samuel W. Ream, for the Third ward;
Henry Deibert and Eli J. Jameson, for the Fourth ward; James B. Fulwiler, Henry Dutton and James T. Henton, school
Mayor Blake took the oath of office on March 15, 1867, and served until the first regular election the following
May, when he was succeeded by Josiah Farrar. At the May election Lincoln P. Pond and Henry Stanley were elected
assessors; W. B. Loughridge, city attorney, and the other officers elected in March were all reelected, with the
exception of Henry Deibert, councilman from the Fourth ward, who was succeeded by Josiah Felix. John C. Owens resigned
the office of marshal and street commissioner on July 2, 1867, and Isaac Burnett was apjointed to the vacancy.
After a week's service he also resigned and the office was filled by the appointment of Thomas J. McDowell. The
city government of Peru was now permanently established.
ADDITIONS TO PERU
Soon after the town was laid out in 1834 some additions were made by the proprietors, but these additions became
a part of the original plat. Just east of the town was the reservation of Francis Godfroy, granted to him by the
treaty of 1826. By the provisions of his will, a full account of which is given in another chapter, a portion of
this reservation was to be laid off into town lots, within three months after his decease. as an addition to the
town of Peru. Pursuant to the provisions of the old chief's will, Allen Hamilton, executor of the estate, filed
a plat of "Godfroy's addition to Peru" in June, 1840. This was the first and is the largest addition
ever made to the city.
In 1842 Ewing's addition east of Broadway and immediately north of the original plat was laid out. It contains
thirty nine lots on each side of Ewing street - which runs east from Broadway to Clay street - or seventy eight
lots in all Hood's addition of six squares, bounded by Main, Canal. Hood and LaFayette streets, was laid out in
1849. E. H. Shirk platted a portion of the old Hood farm in 1863 and added it to the city. This addition is bounded
by Main. Eighth, Hood and Grant streets. The following year Ewing's partition addition of sixty four lots, situated
north of Fifth street and extending from Broadway to Hood streets, was laid out and became part of Peru. Brownell's
addition of 147 lots, bounded by Main. Union and Forest streets and the railroad was platted in 1866. Shirk's second
addition was made in 1868, and in 1869 Smith's addition. bounded by LaFayette, Eighth, Hood and the railroad was
made to the city. Two additions were platted in 1870, viz.: Dukes' addition from Grant street to the old Logansport
road and from Seventh street to the railroad, and Smith's second addition north of the railroad and east of Grant
street. In 1871 Sterne's addition, running two squares west from Grant street between Main and Seventh streets.
and Shirk's third addition, bounded by Seventh, Fremont, Eighth and Hood streets, were platted and annexed to the
city. Dukes' second addition, west of Grant street and north of Boulevard, and Smith's third addition, east of
Godfroy's and extending from Canal street north to the railroad, were laid out in 1872. Brownell's addition between
Union and Walnut streets was also made to the city in this year.
During the next ten years several subdivisions of former plats were made and recorded and a few new additions were
made to the city. Among the latter are Runyan's and Darrow's additions in 1873; Bouslog's addition on East Eighth
street in 1880; and Farrar's addition between Third and Main streets, east of Grant, in 1881. From that time to
the beginning of the present century the principal additions recorded and annexed to the city are as follows: Shirk
& Edwards' addition known as East Peru in 1887; Beck, Reilly & Faust's addition in 1.887; A. N. Dukes'
North Peru addition of 214 lots, east of the Chili pike and north of the railroad, in 1890; Bouslog's Elmwood addition,
east of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad and north of Godfroy's addition, in 1890; Levi & Falk's addition,
situated between Canal, Main, Smith and Lincoln streets, in 1891; Brownell's north addition, a subdivision of outlot
No. 11 in Godfroy's addition, in 1891; Stutesman's addition, north of Boulevard and west of the Mexico pike, in
1892; and a revised plat of Brownell's addition from Canal street to one tier of lots north of Main street and
extending from Holman to Forest was recorded in 1895.
The most important addition to the city since 1900 is unquestionably that of Oakdale, consisting of 1,058 lots,
the plat of which was filed on January 27, 1906, by the Oakdale Improvement Company. A full account of this addition
and the manner in which its lots were placed on the market will be found in Chapter XIII of this work. On March
28, 1901, the city council passed an ordinance annexing to the city all the adjoining additions except Ridgeview
and South Peru, both of which were incorporated as independent towns.
[Continued in history of Peru part 2]