History of Peru Township, Miami County, Indiana
From: History of Miami County, Indiana
Edited by: Mr. Arthur L. Bodurtha
The Lewis Publishing Company
Chicago and New York 1914

PERU TOWNSHIP

As much of the history of this township is intricately interwoven with the history of Peru, an account of many of the events that have occurred within its borders will be found in the next chapter. Its shape is irregular; its greatest length is eight miles; at the western boundary it is three miles from north to south, and at the eastern boundary it is nearly five miles from north to south. On the north it is bounded by Jefferson and Richland townships: on the east by Erie; on the south by the Wabash river, which separates it from the township of Washington and Pipe Creek, and on the west by Cass county. The area of the township is about twenty five square miles. Peru is one of the two original townships organized by the board of county commissioners at their first session in June, 1834, but its area has been reduced by the formation of Erie township and changes made in the boundaries by the reorganization of Jefferson in 1837.

The surface of the township is somewhat undulating, the drainage being toward the Wabash river, which runs along the southern border. About ten miles of ditches have been constructed in the township at a cost of some $20,000, and by this means the cultivation of the naturally fertile soil has been much improved.

Transportation facilities are of the best. The Wabash Railroad runs east and west along the river of that name, the Lake Erie & Western and the Chesapeake & Ohio cross the township, the electric lines of the Winona Interurban Railway Company, the Indiana Union Traction Company and the Fort Wayne & Northern Indiana Traction Company traverse practically all parts of the township. All those lines, both steam and electric, center at Peru.

The first school in the township was taught in the town of Peru, in a little log cabin that had been erected for a dwelling, but which the people fitted up for a school house at their own expense. It was erected by William Smith, in the fall of 1834, and was located on Third street. In 1913 there were seven brick school buildings in the township (exclusive of those in the city of Peru), the value of which was estimated at $20,250. During the school year of 1912-13 ten teachers were employed in the public schools of the township and they received in salaries the sum of $4,304.30. In 1913 the taxable property of the township was assessed at $1,414,250.

[Also see Town and City of Peru History]


Return to [ Indiana History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Indiana Biographies ]


Indiana Counties at this web site - Cass - Clay - Dearborn - Elkhart - Fayette - Gibson - Hancock - Hendrick - Henry - Miami - Monroe - Montgomery - Porter - Posey - Putnam - Rush - St. Joseph - Tippecanoe - Wabash

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy