History of Indian Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana
From: History of Lawrence and Monroe Counties, Indiana
Their People, Industries and Institutions
B. F. Bowen & Co., Inc.
Indianapolis, Indiana 1914
INDIAN CREEK TOWNSHIP.
Indian Creek township is very similar to Van Buren. The rich, loamladen soil is exceedingly "productive,
and added value is given by the streams, the branches of Clear creek and Indian creek. Geologically, the township
is noteworthy. It is one of the few spots where the Chester sandstone comes to the surface of the ground. This
stone consists of light gray and bright red laminated stone, very ferruginous and irregularly bedded. At Buena
Vista and nearby points there are outcroppings of this stone, and in sections 6 and 7 there are iron deposits which
belong to the strata of Chester. stone. The main stone of the township, however, lies underneath the sandstone,
and belongs to the Upper St. Louis group of limestone. The timber of Indian Creek township is abundant and has
not been completely stripped from the land as in other townships. Indian Creek township is in the extreme southwestern
corner of the county.
The rude cabins of the settlers dotted the country of Indian Creek township as early as 1815, but the homes
were far between, and intercourse was difficult. Among these families were the Lambs, Dicks, Crums, Burches, Morgans,
Walkers, Wrights, Mays, Joneses, Clarks, Adamses, Carpenters, Tatumns, Oliphants, Carmichaels, Brosfields, Penningtons,
Teagues Phillips, Smiths, Graves, Gwinns, Treadways, and the Turners. The Lamb family is credited with being the
first in the township, although the Easts and Walkers, the Wrights and Burches came at an early date. In 1816 the
following men made entry on land in the township: William Bigger, Richard Beem and John Kutch on section I; Isaac
Withers on section 3; John M. Sadler on section 6; Archibald Wood on the same; John Storm on section I2; William
King and J. Storm on section r3; Henry Speed on section 19; Storm and Elzy Woodward on section 20; Archibald Wood
on 3o. In the year 1817 Moses Olds entered land on section 1; James Wright. William Crum. and William Leahy on
section 2; Benjamin Freeland on section 5, also four hundred and fifty acres in section 7; Isaiah Wright and James
Wright on section 11; James Mitchell, James Wright and Jacob Beals on section 12, and the latter also on section
24; William Wyman, section 25; James Wright, section 26; Thomas Wilson, Alexander Clark, section 33; Zachariah
Dicks, one hundred and. sixty acres on section 34; William Wright and James Smith, section 35; Peter Sansiford
on section 18 in 1823. Lemuel and Joel Sexson bought on sections 19 and 20 in 1827 and 1828. Joseph Arthur purchased
land on section 21 in 1818, and Richard Wright on section 23 in the same year. Solomon Morgan came into possession
of one hundred and sixty acres in section 24 in 1829, and Caleb Lowder bought eighty acres in section 27 in 1819.
Jonathan Howell, section 28 in 1818; Alexander Clark, section 34 in 1818; William Jones, section 34 in 1818.
The streams in Indian Creek township were not of sufficient size or volume to permit the operation of water
power mills. However, there were several hand mills and horse mills owned in the township. but they never became
very prosperous. The old Hamilton mill in Van Buren township and the Ketchum mill in Clear Creek township supplied
the most of the flour and meal for this township. There was a saw mill in the southern part of the township. also
a whiskey shop which was said to have been the first in the county.