History of Washington Township, Monroe County, Indiana
From: History of Lawrence and Monroe Counties, Indiana
Their People, Industries and Institutions
B. F. Bowen & Co., Inc.
Indianapolis, Indiana 1914
In the year 1829 Washington township was originated, and named after George Washington, the first President
of the United States. It is a full congressional township, comprising thirty six sections, and is township 10 north,
range 1 west, of the second principal meridian, and is one of the four townships of Monroe county which is crossed
by the old Indian boundary. This boundary was drawn at the treaty between the Indians and Gen. William Henry Harrison
at Fort Wayne, on September 30, 1809, at which time all of Washington township, and all of Monroe county south
of the boundary, was received from the tribes. The north portion of this township was included in what was termed
the "New Purchase," and was ceded to the government by the Indians at the treaty of St. Mary's, Ohio,
on October 3, 1818. This land north of the boundary was not open to entry until all Indian title had ceased, and
the ground had been surveyed by Thomas Brown in the summer of 1819. William Harris and Arthur Henrie surveyed the
land south of the boundary in 1812, and it was opened for entry in 1816.
Within the borders of the present Washington township the first purchase of land was made on September 12, 1817,
by James Bennington. He made the deal at the land office in Vincennes, while Monroe county was yet a portion of
Orange county. His purchase included the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter and the southwest quarter of
the southwest quarter of section 30, township 10 north, range 1 west of the second principal meridian. John Patterson
bought the second tracts in the township on August 11, 1823, the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter, and
the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 31. The third entry was by Hugh Corr on section 14, on
January 30, 1824. Andrew Smith, on section 6, and Jehu Buckner, on section 12, were purchases made in 1826. Samuel
Gaskins purchased eighty acres of section 28 in 1827, and Lee Brown equaled his purchase in the same section on
the following year. Other settlers during the days of formation were: William and J. Millikan, section 3o in 1828;
John Turner, section 33, in October, 1829, and in the same year Wylie Burns, section 13, and Richard Colier, section
3; Isaac Gillaspy, section 34 in 1830; Robert Walters and Jehu Buckner, section 28, and John Weaver, section 5,
in 1831; Thomas J. Nance bought land on section 3 in 1832; John Bales, section 12; James Mulky, section 29; Allen
Sims, section 32; John Turner, section 33, and A. B. Anderson. In 1833 came Goalson Steppe, on section 2; John
Weaver and Andrew Smith, section 5; Job Johnson, section 14; John Neal, section 17; John Bales. section 19; William
McNeely. section 29; Henry Putman. section 31. In 1834 were Jehu Buckner, section 3; John Neal, section 17; Thomas
Gillaspy, section 21; James Gaskins, section 28; David Paddocks, section 28; Lee Brown, section 32; Isaac Gillaspy,
section 33; Andrew S. Tate, also of section 33; Benjamin Marshall, on section 34; 1835 witnessed the following
entries: Job Johnson. section 14; William Gaskins. section 29; Daniel Ray, section 29; Emsley Wood, section 31;
Allen Sims, section 31; and Daniel Ray, section 33. Numerous entries were made in 1836. and they were; Jeremiah
and Levi Colier. William Tate and William Canton on section 16; Richard Colier, section 17; Solomon Langwell. section
18; Benoni Denny and William Carlton. section 19; Alexander W. Leland, section 19; Stephen Gaskins. section 20;
William Scott, William McNeely and William Carlton. also on section 29; Alexander W. Leland. section 30, in 1836;
Emsley Wood and Jacob Millikan. section 31: A. W. Leland and A. M. Poe, section 32; Solomon Langwell and A. B.
Anderson, section 33. William Scott entered land in section 16 in 1837. Washington Smith on section 33. and David
Browning on section 34 in the same year. Caleb Colier bought on the school section in 1838. Benjamin Ridge. section
31. and Isaac Gillaspy and William Scott, section 34. Thomas Gillaspy bought on section r6 in 1839. These entries
were all made prior to 1840 and were those of the earliest settlers. The government land was rapidly taken up afterward.
in the forties and fifties.
TOWNS AND VILLAGES.
Wayport and Hindostan are the two villages which have been founded in Washington township. The former was laid
out in April, 1851, onsections 28 and 33, by Isaac Gillaspy, Thomas Gillaspy, and G. W. Smith, proprietors, and
James Washburn, surveyor. Sixteen lots comprised the town. One store, a postoffice, a blacksmith shop are about
all the town had.