History of Towns and Villages in Posey County,
From: History of Posey County, Indiana
John C. Leffel, Editor
Standard Publishing Company
=== OTHER TOWNS & VILLAGES ===
This place was laid out in January, 1837. It is situated twelve miles above Mt. Vernon on the Ohio river. It
is claimed that Jacob Winemiller settled there in 1807. Daniel Lynn ran a ferry there at that time, and in 1813
Elcana Williams ran the ferry. The place was then called Diamond Island Ferry. It was the favorite crossing place
for immigrants from Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina into Posey county. For a number of years the place was
quite a promising village, but with the advent of the Louisville & Nashville railroad through Caborn it dwindled
into a place of very limited extent. Daniel Lynn died here of cholera in 1833. Although no town site was laid out
there were a great many settlers here as early as 1815. The first store was kept by John M. Hayne about 1835. The
first physicians were F. H. Pease and Floyd Williams, about 1848. The first school house was built in 1850. The
first school taught in it was by James B. Campbell. Mr. Campbell was elected county school superintendent in 1868.
The first church was built by the Methodists in 1848. It was destroyed by the flood in 1883 and a new building
was erected in the summer of 1885.
The town of Blairsville is located on Big creek in Robinson township. It was named in honor of Stephen Blair
who, in company with Ebenezer Phillips, laid out the town on the Fourth of July, 1837. It soon grew into prominence
as a half way place on the Evansville and New Harmony stage road, besides it was fairly well located for the convenience
of settlers in all directions from the town as a trading point.
Stewartsville was laid out October 29, 1838, by James Stewart. The town was first called Paris, but on the establishment
of a post office in 1853 the name was changed to Stewartsville. John W. Robb was the first postmaster. The first
store in the place was that of Perry & Schneider, established about 1844 Since then other merchants have been
John Robb & Silas Cox, James Montgomery, Thomas Robb, John & Thomas Robb, Demberger & Faul. About the
year 1842 George Gleichman built a horse mill. In 1845 Schneider & Wise started a still house. In 1853 David
Knewler built a saw and grist mill. For a while a man named Montgomery ran a moonshine distillery, but was soon
stopped by the government.
Farmersville marks the location of one of the oldest settlements in Posey county. The first settlers were Samuel
Black, Anson Andrews, Rufus Johnson, Elisha Ellis and Samuel Phillips. As they were mainly from the New England
States, the settlement was for some time known as the Yankee settlement and sometimes called Yankeetown. On account
of being at the corner of four farms the place was sometimes called the "Corners." Mr. Phillips settled
on 100 Acres lying to the northeast of town, Mr. Johnson to the southeast on 250 acres, Mr. Andrews on 120 acres
to the northwest and Mr. Ellis on an eighty acre farm to the southwest of town.
The town of Wadesville was laid out by Daniel Leffel, James Pelt and William Moye in February, 1853. At that
time the place belonged in Robinson township. Previously, the place had been called Cross Roads, but after it was
laid out it was named Wadesville in honor of the Wade family. Daniel Leff el owned and operated the first business
house in Wadesville. He kept a small stock of dry goods and groceries. The next was that of the Moye Bros., with
whom Zachariah Wade afterward became associated, and later, for a time, Abner Wade. This firm did an extensive
business in clocks Other business houses were those of James Gardner, William Haines, Nicholas Joest and Finley
Allison, and Nicholas Joest and James Cross. The last named, under the firm name of Joest & Cross, did an extensive
business in dry goods, groceries, etc., besides having an extensive warehouse for grain. Other lines of business
were agricultural implements, blacksmith shops and hotel.
The town of Cynthiana was laid out March 6, 1817, by William Davis, who, with about forty others, came from
the vicinity of Cynthiana, Ky. Almost the entire colony settled in the neighborhood. It was laid out with a public
square which still remains unoccupied, as the conditions were that it shall remain to the public so long as kept
for public purposes exclusively. The growth of the town was very slow, a great many of the original lots remaining
unimproved sixty years later.
At present the town has two dry goods stores, one drug store, two hardware stores, one meat market, two grocery
stores, three confectioneries, three blacksmith shops, a lighting system and a grain elevator.
This place was laid out August 11, 1881, by William Price. It is situated in section 6 in Bethel township, between
the Black and Wabash rivers, on the Illinois Central railroad, and is an important shipping point. The post office
is called Griffin, but the place is sometimes called Price's Station. The place is surrounded by rich farming lands.
The town of Blackford was laid out in 1815 for the county seat of Posey county. It was located in section 29 of Marrs township, about a mile northeast of the present town of Caborn. It was named in honor of Hon. Isaac Blackford, who was the first circuit judge. The last term of court held there was in May, 1817, when the county seat was moved to Springfield and Blackford became a mere settlement and the land on which it stood is now a part of a cultivated farm.
This town was laid out by John Cox in 1838. It is situated in section 26 in Harmony township. Previous to the year 1859 Joshua and John Cox kept a store there. At present the place is a mere settlement, sometimes called Bugtown.
Hovey, Point township, has one general merchandise store and one blacksmith shop.
Solitude is located on the Chicago & Eastern Illinois railroad in Lynn township. It has a general merchandise store and a blacksmith shop.
This town site was laid out in 1837 by Wilson J. Johnson. The plat contained fifty six lots. Mr. Johnson opened the first store and, for a time, did a good business. Later merchants were David Waller, James L. Jolly, Wash Wheeler and Isaac Williams. The town was located at the mouth of Black river. It was an important river landing and large quantities of produce found a ready market here and many flat boats were built here, but towns soon sprung up in more accessible localities and, with the opening of roads, business found outlets elsewhere and the town soon ceased to exist.
Oliver is located on the Chicago & Eastern Illinois railroad in Center township. This place has a general merchandise store, a blacksmith shop, an elevator and a saloon.
This village is situated eleven miles east of Mt. Vernon in Marrs township, on the Louisville & Nashville railroad. It is in a rich agricultural settlement. One of the finest churches in the county was built here in 1870 at a cost of $10,000. On the completion of this church Elizabeth Deig, a lady noted for her liberality and Christian spirit, purchased an organ costing $2,000 and presented it to the church. The place is largely made up of German Catholics and the town has a Catholic school and a creamery.
The town of Caborn was laid out in 1871 by Cornelius Caborn, the leading farmer in that locality, and was originally called Caborn Summit. It is located on the Louisville & Nashville railroad and the Evansville & Mt. Vernon electric railway, in Marrs township. Benjamin Crack was appointed postmaster in 1876 and opened the first store the following year. Cornelius Caborn began buying grain in 1871 at the station and John Fox started a blacksmith shop and wagon shop in 1877. H. C. Bradley conducted a saloon and grocery store. At present the place has one general merchandise store, one saloon, one blacksmith shop, one grain elevator, a Modern Woodman hall, a church and a school.
The town of Grafton was laid out in June, 1852, by George W. Thomas, who owned a steam flouring mill there at the time. It is located in section 14 of Black township, on Big creek. It is surrounded by a rich farming country. Grafton has one general merchandise store, one saloon, one blacksmith shop, an Odd Fellows' hall and a school.
The town of Upton, a short distance south of Grafton, is a station on the Louisville & Nashville railroad, important as a shipping point for grain. It was named in honor of a man living in the vicinity of the station, but no plat of the place has ever been made.
This village was never formally laid out. It is supposed that its name was derived from Wendel Wasem, who contributed
liberally to the building of a large Catholic church, which cost about $10,000. The village is located in the northeastern
part of Robinson township, on the Vanderburg county line, the line running through the center of the village. Raben
& Naas for many years owned and operated a mill and a large mercantile house there.
The beginning of Springfield dates from the time it was selected for the location of the county seat of Posey
county in the year 1817. George Rapp donated 100 acres of land to the county on which to locate the town, having
entered these lands the same year.