History of Poseyville, Posey County, Indiana
From: History of Posey County, Indiana
John C. Leffel, Editor
Standard Publishing Company
Chicago, 1913


POSEYVILLE.

The town of Poseyville was laid out by Ellison Cale and Talbott Sharp February 18, 1840. Until 1852 it was called Palestine, when, in order to secure a post office, the name was changed. It is situated twenty four miles northeast of Mt. Vernon, in a fine agricultural section of the county, at the intersection of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois and the Illinois Central railroads. For a number of years after the town was laid out its growth was quite slow, but within the last decade it has grown quite rapidly.

The first house in the town was built by Dr. Alexander Church. It was a frame structure, weatherboarded with clapboards. The first store was established in 1841 by J. S. Jaquess. He continued in business for eleven years, then moved to Evansville, where he opened a wholesale house. T. C. Jaquess, his brother, was for twenty years his successor in business in Poseyville.

In 1851 J. L. Walker opened a store in the town and continued business until his death in 1874.

The first mill was built by Alexander Church. It was what was known as a "stump mill," the propelling power being horses.

In 1853 James Rosborough and Gillison Thomas built the first steam mill. They sold it to Walker & Jaquess. In 1874 Walker became the sole owner and operated it till 1883, when he sold out to Drake Bros. & Hall, who later equipped the mill with modern machinery.

The first tanyard was built by Preston Talbot. W. C. Bozeman owned a carding machine which was operated by a tread mill. He sold this machine to Leonard Bozeman and in 1853 began a private brokerage business and in the course of twenty years he succeeded in building up a large business and was reputed to be worth $40,000.

The first blacksmith shop was built by Thomas Malone in 1855.

The first school house used by the people of Poseyville was built about one half mile north of the town. In 1873 a good brick school house was built near the spot where the Chicago & Eastern Illinois railroad crosses Main street, a part of the money for which was furnished by private subscriptions. This building burned down in the winter of 1884-85 and a new building was erected in the summer of 1885 at a cost of $6,000.

Poseyville, at the present writing, is a progressive and up to date town. Located in one of the richest agricultural sections of the State, it enjoys a patronage from the surrounding country equaled by few towns of its size. The farming community is of the highest type. The farms, of black, sandy loam, are of inexhaustible fertility. The farm houses are modern in architecture and furnishings, and the surroundings are models of neatness and beauty. The latest improved machinery and implements are in common use and in contented luxury the farmer and his happy family dwell in a "Garden of Eden." From these farms come a prodigious amount of produce into the markets of Poseyville. Corn, wheat and stock are the principal products and these are purchased by the local buyers and shipped to distant markets. These products annually bring to Poseyville a great wealth in money, which has drawn to the town the most progressive business men. Under the stimulus of the wealth promoted in conservative channels by progressive citizens, Poseyville within the past decade has shown a wonderful development. Several new additions have been platted and added to the corporate limits in recent years. The citizens take pride in the beauty of the little town and work in harmony for its advancement. The town has improved streets and sidewalks, well kept lawns and beautiful modern houses adorn either side in the residence section. A new electric light plant furnishes light for the town, business houses and residences. The business houses are all excellent structures and are stocked with high class goods. Among the trades represented are two drygoods stores, two drug stores, two banks, two implement houses, two blacksmiths, three confectioneries, two groceries, two millinery stores, one market shop, two hotels, one hardware store, one meat shop, one bakery, four barbers, one newspaper, one tin shop, two repair shops, one poultry market, one flouring mill, one harness shop, etc. Among the professional men are four doctors, two dentists and two lawyers.

The town has four modern church buildings, represented by the Methodist, Christian, Catholic and Baptist, each with a large membership. The fraternities are represented by the Masons, Knights of Pythias, Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen, Ben Hur and Court of Honor. The educational status of the town ranks high. A Carnegie library is free to the citizenship. A modern school building is just completed and ranks with the best. The course of study measures up to the larger towns and graduates of the school are given credits in the State institutions, the school having been commissioned for a number of years. The financial, busines and other features of the town are covered under the proper head, but viewed from whatever point - financial, educational, moral - Poseyville measures up to its full scope as a home for the highest and best in citizenship. Its beauties and hospitality, enhanced by the sociability and moral and educational tone of its citizenship, make it a desirable residing place.


Return to [ Indiana History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Indiana Biographies ]


Indiana Counties at this web site - Cass - Clay - Dearborn - Elkhart - Fayette - Gibson - Hancock - Hendrick - Henry - Miami - Monroe - Montgomery - Porter - Posey - Putnam - Rush - St. Joseph - Tippecanoe - Wabash

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy