This township is the full congressional township 15, range 3, and is bounded on the north by Jackson township,
on the east by Hendricks county, on the south by Marion, and on the west by Monroe township. The soil is good and
compares favorably with the best townships of the county. Its surface is rolling, but becomes broken along the
streams, which are Walnut fork of Eel river, Warford's fork, Monachal's fork and their branches, all running in
a southwest direction. The valuable timber of this township consists of poplar, walnut, oak, maple, ash, elm and
hickory. The most peculiar feature of the county is the sandy ridge in this township. It extends north and south
a distance of three miles, at an elevation of forty feet above the surrounding level, The composition is of sand
and gravel, and is entirely different from any other geological deposit in the vicinity.
The first settler was Joseph W. Warford, who located on section 33 in the year 1821. In 1822 came Wilson L. Warford,
Washington Weatherford, Beadie Akers, Isaac Monnett, Lawson Monnett and Reuben Smith. During the year 1823 Thomas
Purcell, Cuthbert Daniels, William Aldridge, Thomas Higgins and Harrison Monnett became pioneers of the township.
From 1824 to 1826 came G. Norrill, Zachariah Melton, Mr. Rowlett, William Collings, S. Collings, Harvey Collings,
A. L. Collings, Abraham Wise and his sons Sanford and Shadrach Wise. The years from 1827 to 1830 brought George
Monachal, Anderson B. Matthews and his father in law, John Heavin, A. Pickett, William and Aquila Pickett. J, M.
and H. B. Pickett, Isaac Yates, Mr. Howard. Thomas Ogle, Joseph Evans, William Arnold. James Miller. J. Kinder.
Moses Lewis, E. Tarburton, J. L. Bird. J. C. Wilson. I. J. Wilson, A. Wilson, L. Gibson, J. Westhart, J. Kurtz
and William Todd. The next three years witnessed the arrival of John Gregory. Doctor Stadler. Jacob McVey, Jacob
Hoffman, Cooper Wilson, James Robinson, Dr. Josias H. Robinson, John H. Herod. Charles Hunter. Thomas Ellis, Lewis
Ellis and James Ellis. Between 1834 and 1839. Joshua Iddings, Archibald Miller. John Craver, Martin and Enoch Wright,
Thomas Job, Henry Waln. Thomas Randall, John Millman. Levi Owen, James Shoemaker. George Hansell, Elijah Wilkinson.
Samuel Shinn. John Shinn. Jacob Millman, Stephen Brown, Wesley Figg. J. W. Chatham. Thomas Job, son of Samuel Job.
Harrison Monnett. Sanford Wise, Harvey Collings, William Todd, Susan Hunter. Delphia Busby, Francis Hughes. Joshua
Giddings, Stephen Brown. Archibald Miller. Wesley Figg, J. W. Chatham and Sarah Ellis and Thomas Job.
The first marriage in Floyd was that of Wilson L. Warford and Nancy Monnett. daughter of Isaac Monnett. This occurred
in 1823: and an incident in connection with the wedding that is worthy of recording was that the family had no
flour to make bread. and therefore the feast had to be enjoyed without that necessary article of food. Delia Warford,
born in 1824, was the first white child born in that township. The first who died was a daughter of Joseph Warford,
in 1822. She was buried on the home farm, once owned by Vincent Day. This was the first grave yard in the township,
but it has not been used for many years. The first sawmill was built by Anderson B. Matthews, on section 33, in
the year 1829. Within the next year he added a grist mill, These were water mills, and stood on Warford's fork.
Mr. Ogle built a saw and grist mill on Walnut, in this township, in the year 1834 or 1835. William Arnold, who
had a shop in section 20, in 1828, was the first blacksmith. Dr. William Matthews, son of Anderson B. Matthews,
was the first resident physician in Floyd. He located in the south part of the township, and became quite a noted
man in his profession. The Doctor was author of several medical works and correspondent of some leading journals
in the country. At a later day, he removed to Mason, Effingham county, Illinois, where he died some years ago.
In the year 1838 John Millman, Sr., erected on section 26 a factory for the manufacture of fur and wool hats,
in which he continued to carry on business until the year 1863, a period of just a quarter of a century. During
this time he manufactured hats by the hundred and by the thousand, and hauled them in wagon loads to neighboring
counties where they were exchanged for furs and pelts. He was a prominent member of the American Fur Company, and
collected furs in large quantities, which he hauled in wagons to the company's depot at Detroit, Michigan. Mr.
Millman was a man of great experience in his business, and a splendid workman, having produced from his factor•
hats which were worn for thirteen years in succession. It was a claim of the old gentleman that he made the first
hat ever worn by Bishop Simpson of the Methodist Episcopal church. The last hats he manufactured were sent to Scottsboro,
Tennessee, during the Civil war, to be worn by the Union soldiers. This old pioneer was a great lover of his country,
having sent three sons to the Mexican war, and five to the Union army in 1861. He died in the centennial year,
at the age of eighty seven years, and was buried in sight of his factory.
Andrew B. Matthews was the first justice of the peace, holding the office in 1828, and continuing in the same until
the time of his death. He served for a number of years as president of the county board of magistrates.
Daniel Anderson preached the first sermon in this township, in the year 1822 or 1823, at the house of Joseph Warford.
which was a place of worship for a number of years. These meetings were held by the Methodists. who at an early
day built "Wesley Chapel" and "Pleasant Grove." Their first minister was followed by S. Otwell,
William H. Smith, Lorenzo Dow, Mr. Grimes, A. L. Collings, H. Collings, Isaac Owen, Mr. Cord and Matthew Simpson,
with probably others worthy of record, if their names could be recalled.
The Protestant Methodists, under the leadership of Harvey Collings, organized, and now have two churches in the
The first Sabbath school was organized in 1844, by Harvey Collings.
The history of the Regular Baptists, in Floyd, dates from the year 1826, in which they formed a society and built
a house of worship called Enon, the same being the first structure of the kind in the township. They also built
the second church in the township and named it Palestine. This denomination now has here three houses of worship.
Charles and Carter Hunter, of Marion township, preached the first Baptist sermons in Floyd in the year 1826. They
were followed by J. Cost, Spencer Collings and Thomas Broadstreet, who rank among the early Baptist ministers of
this part of the county.
The Cumberland Presbyterians have a church in this township, though their organization is of later date.
The village of Groveland, situated on sections 2 and 3, was laid out by Benjamin F. and Daniel Summers, March 18,
The following postmasters have served at Groveland: Henry B. Pickett, July 19, 1852; D. T. Summers, June 21, 1854;
Benjamin I. Summers, November 18, 1858; Wilson Fisher, June 8, 1859; J. W. Hanna, December 11, 1860; Weakly Mason,
October 18, 1861; Elias Homer, April 30, 1862; Salmon Hall, March 25, 1865; James Turner, December 26, 1876; S.
M. Comer, July 5. 1878; James Turner, January 26, 188o; Jonathan Owens, July 10. 1885; W. M. Owens, April 17, 1888;
William A. Wood, May 31, 1889; Joseph E. Graham, October 26, 1891; discontinued February 14, 1905.