Greencastle township is the central one of the county, exactly coinciding with congressional township 14, range
4, and is bounded on the north by Monroe, on the east by Marion, on the south by Warren, and on the west by Madison.
The surface of the township is generally rolling, though some parts along Walnut are broken and some in the eastern
portion are flat. The soil is good and finely adapted for all kinds of agricultural pursuits suitable to its latitude.
The creek bottoms are especially productive. It was originally covered with an abundant growth of as fine timber
as could be found in any part of the country. This consisted of the kinds common to such soil. The yellow poplar
and the black walnut were especiallv attractive. With these were the other kinds common throughout the county.
The township is drained by Big Walnut, which crosses it diagonally from northeast to southwest, running to the
north and west of Greencastle. A heavy and valuable bed of limestone underlies the entire township, giving character
to its topography. The township was one of the first settled and is finely improved. Enjoying the location of the
countv seat near its center, it has special facilities for the development of its natural resources.
Greencastle township was settled in 1821, by John Sigler, Thomas Johnson, John Miller, Benjamin Jones, Silas G.
Weeks, Jubal Deweese, Amos Robertson, John F. Seller, David Deweese, Jefferson Thomas. Thomas Deweese 'and Samuel
Rogers. In 1822 and 1823 came Abraham Coffman, Solomon Coffman. Isaac Legg, Col. Lewis H. Sands, Gen. Joseph On,
James Talbott, Amasa Johnson, Robert Glidewell, P. S. Wilson, Ephraim Dukes, John W. Clark, William B. Gwathney,
Michael Wilson, John Butcher, Masten and Spencer Hunter, William Talbott, Col. Daniel Sigler, Lawson D. Sims, Matthew
Legg, Rev. John Oatman, Joshua H. Lucas, Greenberry Mulinix, Joseph Thornburg. Arthur Mahorney, Jacob Butcher,
Robert Catterlin, James Trotter, Elisha King, Samuel D. Chipman, Arthur McGaughey, Reese Hardesty. Col. Mathew
W. Bussey, Jesse Neese, Henry Canote, John Lynch, Thomas Jackson, Noble Meyers, John McNary, James Allen, Lewis
Gibson, Solomon Tucker, Jesse Purcell, Daniel and Samuel Chadd, John Peck, Hiram Catterlin, Samuel Hunter, Edgar
Thomas, James Duffield, Mr. Devoor, the Wrights, Joseph Thornberry, John and Benjamin Cunningham, and their father.
During the years 1824 and 1825. George Secrest, Clark Burlingame (a Revolutionary soldier), and his sons, Abel
and Spencer Burlingame, Gen. John Standeford, James Moore, James Day, Dr. Enos Lowe, John Gregory, Joseph F. Farley,
George F. Waterman, Thomas Johnson, John Lockhart, and William Peck became citizens of the township. The next two
years brought Isaac Ash, John S. Jennings, Ephraim Blain, Dr. A. C. Stevenson, Dr. L. M. Knight. Col. John R. Mahan,
Isaac Mahan, Lawson Seyhold. John Hammond. John Cowgill, Peter Rowlett, William Holland, Philip Carpenter. Elisha
Knight, John Knight and Wesley Knight, and perhaps many others whose names are lost among the increasing multitude
who were rapidly filling the country.
The history of Greencastle township is so intimately involved with that of the county and of the city of Greencastle,
that but little remains to be told. The first births and deaths, the first physicians and ministers, the first
business enterprises and the organization of the religious denominations, the building of the first mills and factories
are mentioned elsewhere.
The postoffice at Greencastle was established March 18, 1821. and Joshua H. Lucas was appointed postmaster. His
successors were appointed and served as follows: Lewis H. Sands, November 20, 1826; James Talbott, June 19, 1840;
James Jones, June 8, 1849; John Standeford, May I, 1850; James Jones, August 17, 1850; Henry W. Daniels, June 15,
1853; Edward R. Kercheval. March 13, 1856; Christopher W. Brown, March 19, 1861; Edward R. Kercheval. May 12, 1865;
John Osborn, July 12, 1866; George J. Langsdale, June 24, 1874; Willis G. Neff, March 29, 1885; James McD. Hays,
May 21, 1889; Willis G. Neff, February 7, 1894; Lucius P. Chapin, February 12, 1898; John G. Dunbar, February 3,
1902; Albert O. Lockridge, March 22, 1910.
The first tannery was kept by Walter and Hosea Wright, who were followed by the Gillespies, Milton F. Barlow was
the first hatter. Arthur Mahorney was the first justice of the peace. Other early justices were Isaac Mahan, David
Dudley, Reese Hardesty, John Cowgill, James M. Grooms, Samuel Taylor, Joseph F. Farley, John T. Taylor and Wesley
White. The first constable was John Lynch, who held the office for many years. Even some of the younger portions
of the community can remember he still discharged the duties of that office with promptness and energy, though
bearing the weight of many years.
There are many improved roads through the townships connecting Greencastle with different portions of the country,
and affording the farmers easv access to market. and along these at various points are to be seen many splendid
farm residences displaving taste and liberality on the part of their owners.
The farmers of the township are largely engaged in raising livestock, and in their fields and stalls are to be
found some of the finest animals in the state.
The village called Limedale is at the crossing of the Terre Haute & Indianapolis railroad and the Louisville,
New Albany & Chicago (or Monon) road, and is located on section 29. Greencastle township, two miles southwest
of the court house. It was laid out in 1864, by William Stegg and surveved by William H. Shields.
At Limedale the following postmasters served: Alpheus Morris. December 16, 1873; William Berigan, Jr., June 12,
1877; William J. Steeg. February 15, 1878. The postoffice was discontinued on October 30, 1909.
In the vear 1856 a lime and stone quarry was opened at the Junction by Hellens. Butcher & Stegg. and carried
on extensivelv. shipping stone and lime to the value of twenty thousand dollars per annum. It is now the property
of William Stegg's heirs.