MILL CREEK TOWNSHIP.
Mill Creek township lies east of Marion. Jefferson and Cloverdale townships, and is bounded on the north by
Hendricks county, on the east by Hendricks and Morgan, and on the south by Morgan. It is drained by Mill creek,
which forms the eastern and southern boundaries. There are a few small tributaries, but none of any size, which
enter that stream within the limits of Putnam county. This township was annexed to Putnam county by order of the
board of county commissioners at the September term, 1860, confirmed by act of the Legislature, approved March
The first settler in this township wasThomas Broadstreet, Sr., who was born in Virginia in the year 1813. In the
year 1826, at the age of thirteen, he came west with his father, who settled within one mile of the west edge of
the township. Although but a boy at that time, he was acquainted with nearly all the early settlers of the township.
The first log cabin in Mill Creek township was built in the year 1826, on the west bank of the stream from which
the township takes its name, one and one half miles south of Stilesville, by Jacob Holmes. This home was afterward
sold to James Sallust. The next was built on what is known as the Clark farm, by Thomas Skelton. William Parker
entered land and built a house close by, and then came Elisha Hurst and Norman Nunn. They were all early settlers,
and owned lands adjoining the. Clark farm on the west. William Heavin came here in the year 1827, and at first
built a log cabin, but within a few years erected a good hewed log house, which up to a recent date was still standing.
At a very early day, Mr. Heavin built a water mill of the kind known to old settlers as a hominy pestle; and he
also planted the first orchard in the township.
The first death which occurred in the township was that of Mrs. Barbara Heavin, wife of William Heavin, who died
in the year 1830 and was interred near the family dwelling. After eight years more of toil in this new country,
her husband followed her in death, and was laid beside the remains of his companion.
James Sallust, father of John and William Sallust of this township, and of J. R. Sallust of Oregon, came from Virginia
to Mill creek in the year 1829, and lived in his traveling tent until he built a cabin in which to live. It is
remarked of Mr. Sallust that he was a man of great industry, and he put under cultivation a large part of the farm
on which his son, John Sallust, afterwards lived. Mr. Sallust made the first kiln of brick in the township. His
moulder and burner was a man named Daniel Elliott. Mr. Sallust lived to the year 1851.
Mr. McHaffie, from Knox county, Pennsylvania, father of M. E. McHaffie, bought land in the north part of the
township in the year 1831, to which he removed in the fall of the next year. He built the first waterpower grist
mill in the township, in the year 1835-36. Samuel Beedle, Pleasant Allee and William Allee all came to the township
in the year 1837.
The first child born in the township was Nancy E. Holmes, daughter of Jacob Holmes. who built the first house in
the township. Her birth occurred May 7, 1830. This child died at the age of four years. The first marriage was
that of Eli Lee and Polly Heavin, daughter of William and Barbara Heavin, in the year 1832. Mr. Lee built the first
horse mill, which was one widely known and extensively patronized for many years. The first school house in this
township was built on the farm of Mr. Bricks. The puncheons for the floor and seats of this house were hewed by
The Methodist church was organized in the township in the year 1829, at the house of Mr. Bricks, mentioned above.
Services were afterward held at the school house until the erection of Mount Pisgah church, on the land of Norman
Nunn, in the year 1844 or 1845. Mr. Thomas Broadstreet was one of the earliest if not the first minister in the
Thomas Elliott improved the place at the forks of the Greencastle and National roads, where he first built a log
house, in which he kept tavern, as did also Mr. Keller, just across the line in Hendricks county. In the year 1837,
Mr. Elliott built a brick house, and in the following year Mr. Keller built a two story frame. These were rival
houses and attained to great notoriety. They were known as the "Tecumseh" and "Washington Hall."
They were together called the "twin taverns."
While the National road was constructing, in the years 1833 and 1834, the general government built two bridges
over small creeks just west of the twin taverns, the stone abutments of which are good to this day. This is true
also of other works of the same kind constructed on that road at the same date.