History of Jackson Township, Rush County, Indiana
From: Centennian History of Rush County, Indiana
Edited by: A. L. Gary and E. B. Thomas
Historical Publishing Company
Indianapolis 1921


On account of a heavy percentage of swamp land in Jackson township in the days of the settlement of this county, the population of the township was a little back ward, but with the digging of drainage ditches to help out sluggish little Mud creek, the natural but inefficient outlet for the swamp, these swamp lands were reclaimed, opening the way to settlement and this reclaimed land is now among the most valuable in the county. In the old days the dreaded Burr Oak swamp was considered well nigh irreclaimable, but with drainage it was turned into fine farm land. Jackson township is bounded on the north by Center township, on the east by Union, on the south by Rushville township and on the west by Posey township. The Little Blue river crosses the northwest corner of the township. Henderson is the only hamlet in the township. It is situated on the Big Four railroad, in section 10, and was platted by Ida M. Henderson, August 1, 1890. Its conveniences as a railway station and as a local trading point were welcomed by the people of the neighborhood. The first store opened in the township in the early days was that of Jones & Parker, in the once locally famous, but long since abandoned hamlet of "Tail Holt," later called Occident, which was a postoffice for a number of years.

Sexton - This hamlet was laid out as a town site on May 25, 1883, following the completion of the New Castle & Rushville railroad, since taken over by the Lake Erie & Western. The name of the platted town as recorded is Hamilton Station. When the postoffice was established it became necessary to rename the town on account of another town of the name of Hamilton in Indiana, and the postoffice was named Sexton, by which name the village generally is known. The first house in the hamlet was built by Mathias Knecht.

Following are some of the names that are associated with the days of the settlement of the township: Thomas Burton, John Souders, John Bowne, John Castle, Jacob and William David, William Truitt, Shipman Newkirk, Jacob Gobel, William Kirkpatrick, Samuel and Isaac Newhouse, William Jones, Elijah Billings, Stephen Sparks, James Jones, Robert Berry, Elder William Caldwell, Thomas McKinnon, Philip Barger, Daniel Gorman, William and Nathan Porter, Harmon Osborne, John Smelcer, George Winship, David Gilson, William O'Banion, James Oldham, William Bodine, James Downey, William Moffett, Brook Talbott, Aaron Mock, George Kirkpatrick, Azahel Griffith, James Fry, William Beale, Sr., Benjamin Kendall, John Newhouse, Solomon Stephens, William Armstrong, David Kenning, Washington Barger, Isaac Ploughe, Jonathan Fleener.

Return to [ Indiana History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Indiana Biographies ]

Indiana Counties at this web site - Cass - Clay - Dearborn - Elkhart - Fayette - Gibson - Hancock - Hendrick - Henry - Miami - Monroe - Montgomery - Porter - Posey - Putnam - Rush - St. Joseph - Tippecanoe - Wabash

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ PA ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]

All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy