Fairfield township is that portion of Tippecanoe county in which the city of Lafayette, the county seat, is
situated. It is all that portion of congressional township No. 23 north, and in range 4 west, lying east of the
Wabash river. Its history is really the same as that of the city of Lafayette, given elsewhere in this volume.
Some of the most fertile and highly cultivated farms within the county are to be found in this township. Population
in two was one thousand, six hundred and eight.
The town of Linwood is a suburb of the city and was platted May 2, 1856, by Nathaniel Hull, and since then several
additions have been made to the original plat. It was named after Austin P. Linn, a resident of Lafayette. The
town was incorporated May 8, 1864, and in 1886 had grown to a population of about a thousand inhabitants. At the
date last named the town contained a fine brick school building, two large cooper shops, Greenbush cemetery, a
park at the north end of the street car line, but no halls or churches, as it is so close to those in Lafayette.
The history at that time mentions the fact that the streets are lighted by kerosene lamps and water was obtained
only from private wells. Linwood has always been one of those peculiar corporations - a town within a city! Its
southern boundary is also an oddity, as it is not defined by any street, road, alley or anything visible. Originally,
it was supposed to "run cross lots" between houses and vacant lots, meandering around back yards, terminating
at Ninth street, which constitutes the western boundary.
With the passing of time the lines have almost been obliterated and as a town independent it has long since lost
Elston, another hamlet two miles south of Lafayette, has a population of two hundred and fifty.