Jackson township is the extreme southwestern township within Tippecanoe county. It is bounded on the north by
Wayne and Union townships; on the east by Randolph; on the south by Montgomery county; on the west by Fountain
county. Its domain covers forty two square miles, the greater portion of which is level, rich prairie land and
now under a high state of cultivation.
Owing to the fact that this was a prairie township, it was not settled as early as the timbered section. In fact
the first corners doubted very much whether this land would ever be productive of paying crops. Then timber had
to be used for both fencing and fuel. Samuel O. Clark was the first man to demonstrate that this was a suitable
section in which to settle for the purpose of building a home. In the year 1824 he located and erected his log
cabin, near what has since been known as Clark's Point, or Pinhook. For two years he was "monarch of all he
surveyed." The first ground was broken by the plow and a corn crop planted in 1824. From that time on settlements
increased quite rapidly.
In 1826 Lewis Wheeler located on the farm since owned by his son Damas, and William L. Newman settled and built
a log cabin in section 26.
In 1829 Jesse Meharry entered a half of section 22, returning soon after to his home in Adams county, Ohio. Two
years later he effected his permanent settlement. His brother Daniel also settled on a half section of land in
the same township in 1836.
In 1828 Thomas Marks bought a tract of land located partly in Jackson and partly in Wayne townships. The same season
came in Dudley Miller, who located on Longlois Reserve.
In 1831 John W. Odell settled at "Odell's Corners," on the farm since owned by his son Washington.
Other early settlers were Andrew Insley, John K. McMillen. Robert Sayers, John Montgomery, Thomas Ezra. James Francis.
John Hiett, William Wiles, William Stewart, Samuel Rankin. David Farnsworth. George Kirkpatrick, James K. Stewart
and John Shultz.
The first religious meetings in Jackson township were held by the Methodists, at the house of William L. Newman,
in 1828. For a number of years following services were held at the cabin homes of the settlers.
The first death in the township was James, the son of Levin Wheeler, in 1828.
The first township election was held in 1828, and Levin Wheeler was elected as justice of the peace.
The first church edifice in the township was built by the Methodists in 1855. For further church history the reader
is referred to the chapter on religious history elsewhere in this volume.
The first marriage in Jackson township was that which united William L. Newman and Miss Vermilla Wheeler the exact
date is not now known. In 1828 Damas Wheeler married Miss Elizabeth Cain. The same day John Cain and Miss Lucretia
Dulin were united in marriage.
The postoffices of Jackson township were among the first improvements needed and had by the pioneers of Jackson
township. "Shawnee Mound" and "Sugar Grove" were early - about 1843. At the first named. Jesse
Maharry was postmaster, and at the latter named the postmaster was Andrew Insley. In 1871 Odell postoffice was
added at Odell's Corners, and in 1877 New Aurora postoffice was established in the south part of Jackson township.
Jackson is without any towns or villages up to this date, except Odell, a postoffice point on section 2, and it
has but about fifty people, according to the latest United States census. The township has no lines of railroads
traversing its territory either. According to the county school superintendent's reports (1908) there is an enrollment
of one hundred eighty two pupils within the township. The population of the township is about one thousand. It
is a rich agricultural section and well settled by an intelligent class of husbandmen.