INDUSTRIES OF LAFAYETTE.
According to the United States census of 1905 for "Industries," Lafayette had eighty factories in
operation, and employed a capital of three million, six hundred sixteen thousand, eight hundred and forty one dollars.
The average number of wage earners was placed at one thousand, seven hundred and eighty six, while the value of
goods produced was figured at four million, six hundred thirty one thousand, four hundred and fourteen dollars.
While Lafayette has in no wise ever been accounted a large industrial center, yet if one looks back at her past
history it will be observed that it has from time to time had many important factories. While it will not be the
province of this chapter to enter the names of all the institutions which have in the past, or are now operating
in this city, it may be noted that among such industries was the Lafayette Car Works, established in January, 1880,
with a capital of one hundred thousand dollars, the same occupying the old Purdue Agricultural Works building.
B. F. Master was president. H. W. Chase secretary, and R. A. Bunker treasurer. Six hundred men were employed, and
they built about ten cars per day. The works were removed, or disbanded about 1890.
The Lafayette Hominy Mills were started in 1881 by a company whose capital was fifty thousand dollars. In 1884
the main building was burned, but was rebuilt at once. While the business has been merged with other concerns of
the country, shipments to and from this plant are carried on in an extensive manner.
In 1887 the Lafayette Milling Company had a fine brick milling plant; the Douglass Pump Factory on Ninth street;
Biggs Pump Factory; a target factory, employing seventeen hands, produced several thousand targets daily, the same
being shipped to all parts of the country.
Lafayette has now forty factories of various kinds, employing three thousand men and women.
Number of telephones in use, four thousand, five hundred.
Number of miles of electric railways in city, eighteen; cars in service, forty one; men employed, one hundred and
Among the important industries of Lafayette may be named the Levy & Rice Co., manufacturers of ladies' wash
skirts, at No. 903 Main street. Here all kinds of cotton fabrics are made into ready to wear garments. The business
was established here in 1900. They occupy two stories of a brick business house and employ about seventy five people,
three quarters of whom are women. The output of their factory finds a ready sale as far east as Buffalo, New York;
and as far west as Nevada; to Atlanta, Georgia, and Louisiana, Tennessee and Kentucky; also to Minnesota and the
western states. A large trade has been built up on the real merit of the goods produced. This plant ranks seventh
in the United States in its line of industry. The annual output of this factory is from one hundred thousand dollars
to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Among the more important industries of Lafayette in 1909 may be enumerated the following:
Architectural iron works - Barbee Wire and Iron Works; McGrath Foundry and Machine Company and the Wallace Machine
and Foundry Company.
Art glass manufacturers - Walter T. Lockwood.
Beef packers - Dryfus Packing and Provision Company; Kern Packing Company.
Blank book manufacturers - Burt-Haywood-Wilson Company; Murphey-Bivins Company.
Bridges - Lafayette Engineering Company.
Carpets - Lafayette Carpet Company.
Electric manufacturers - Duncan Electric Company; Lafayette Electric Manufacturing Company; Sterling Electric Company.
Flour mills - Lafayette Milling Company; Holdt & Son.
Lafayette Gas Company.
Artificial ice manufacturers - Kern Packing Company; Lafayette Artificial Ice Company.
Medicine manufacturers - Cochran, Hugh L.; Cornstalk Remedy Company; George H. Everhart; Wells Medicine Company.
Paper boxes - George E. Jenks.
Pumps - Fred Reule.
Fire proof safes - Schwab Safe and Lock Company.
Sash, doors and blinds - Henry J. Kessner Lumber Company; Henry Taylor Lumber Company.
Straw Board and Paper Company.
Soap manufacturers - The M. & J. Schnaible Company.
Tile manufacturers - Jacob May & Sons.
Wagon makers - Indiana Wagon Company.
Wire works - Barbee Iron and Wire Works.
The Home of the Friendless Women and Children was among the first true charitable institutions of the county
and city. It was organized in 1870. The first officers were William H. Levering, president; Mrs. Melissa L. Barbee
and Mrs. Cyrus Ball, vice presidents; Mrs. Cora S. Nourse and J. C. Brockenbrough, treasurers. This home was located
in Linwood, at the southeast corner of Howell and Sixteenth streets. It achieved great success. The first matron
was Mrs. S. E. Boulton and she was followed by Mrs. Hannah Chapman.
There are now three hospitals - the Home, having a capacity of fifty persons; St. Elizabeth's, with a capacity
for one hundred and seventy five persons; and the Detention, with a capacity for fifty.
OLD LADIES' HOME
Prompted by the true spirit of Christianity in 1905, Mrs. Alice Stuart, wife of the late Charles B. Stuart,
wishing to place some of her fortune where it would directly benefit others less fortunate than herself, donated
a residence property to the east of Columbian Park, to be converted into a home for aged ladies. This was really
given as a memorial for her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Adams Earl, pioneers of Lafayette. Here are received as many
old ladies as can be cared for, the house being far too small for even present needs. By the payment of three hundred
dollars, one secures a home in this institution as long as they live. They also allow old lady boarders, providing
the place is not full of those who are unable to pay, but at this writing (1909) of the five inmates, but one is
a boarder, the balance having secured quarters there for life.
The home is ably managed by a board consisting, at present, of Mrs. Stuart, chairman; Mrs. Dr. Vinnedge, secretary;
Mrs. Bennett, treasurer; Mrs. Adam Wallace, Mrs. Joseph Beck, Mrs. Henry Rosenthol, Mrs. David Murphy and Mrs.
When hospital service is required, or medical attention, this home is affiliated with the Home Hospital, near by.
The Old Ladies' Home was opened in the month of February, 1906.
Mrs. Stuart, the generous founder, takes great interest in this institution, which is a splendid home as all who
are there placed will testify. The rooms are cared for and the cooking looked after by a competent matron. All
that can he done to cheer and brighten the latter years of the lady inmates is done and that after the most up
to date manner.
The ages of the present women who call this theif home are as follows: One is past ninety years; one eighty three
years; one eighty one; one seventy six; and one (who calls herself the baby of the house) is sixty eight years
of age and is the only boarder, while the others will doubtless remain there during the balance of their lives.
She is a granddaughter of Col. Benjamin Wilson, of Revolutionary fame.
This home is the most practical monument to the loving memory of Mrs. Stuart's parents that she could possibly
TIPPECANOE COUNTY CHILDREN'S HOME.
The people of this county and city are humane and considerate of the unfortunate poor, especially of the children
who from one cause or another have been left without suitable homes. This home was established in 1886 and thrown
open to the public January 15, 1887. It was started by the Christian impulses of a few worthy citizens. The first
building used was three rooms in the old Milwaukee block. The first children given over to their keeping were four
in number. They commenced operations with but one single dollar in the treasury. After three months, through the
negotiations of Ralph Moore and James Reynolds, a frame house at the head of Twelfth street was rented, and by
the kindness of friends it was fairly furnished. The first year thirty four children were cared for, sheltered
and clothed, and the bills all paid in full, and had a balance of over eighty dollars in the treasury. November
12, 1890, the home was changed to its present site, No. 1132 Tenth street. The same was bought for four thousand
dollars. and to it was added and improvements made to the sum of two thousand, seven hundred dollars. It was purchased
on ten years time at four per cent. interest. The managers paid for it, however, in six years. To the labors and
fine executive management of Col. C. G. Thompson. the president. aided by Mr. Moore and James Reynolds, who all
gave much of their time to the institution, much credit should be given.
The building, a brick structure, is sufficient in size to accommodate sixty children. It is steam heated and has
all modern appliances. "We must keep out of debt," has ever been the motto of the institution.
Colonel Thompson declined to serve as president after 1908. since which time Albert Jamison has served. The present
board consists of: The president. Mr. Jamison: T. J. Levering, first vice president: Mrs. George Haywood, second
vice president: Mrs. J. M. Boggs. secretary: Mrs. R. D. Moore, treasurer.
This institution is supported by donations in money, clothing, etc., and by a stated sum from the county treasury,
amounting to about thirty cents a day per child. They also made an addition and remodeled the buildings in 1908
at a cost of seven thousand, five hundred dollars.
The present worthy matron, Miss Janeway, has been in charge for five years and has acquitted herself in a truly
worthy manner. The children all attend school when old enough and also Sunday school.
At present there are thirty three children in this institution - twenty two girls and eleven boys. On January 1,
1908, there were forty children here. At one date a few years ago, there were sixty two cared for. As soon as suitable
homes can be secured, the inmates are provided with such.
The ladies of the city are entitled to much credit for the work they have performed during the years in which this
home has been in existence. Also Dr. William Reser should not be forgotten, as he has for the past few years been
physician for the institution; has carried the children through several epidemics, with but two fatalities. And
this all free of charge. Among the county homes, but few have a cleaner, more satisfactory record than this one.
Another humane institution of the city of Lafayette is the Martha Home, under the Woman's Home Association,
with a board of twenty one members - sixteen women and five men. These are all residents of the city, and any one
may become a member by the payment of a fee of two dollars per year. This institution opened its doors to the needy
public in 1898, by Mrs. Helen Gougar. Among the charter members were Mrs. P. C. Vawter and Mrs. J. D. Chamberlain.
The purpose of this home is to protect, in a Christian like manner, women and girls who need a woman's care. They
provide homes and places for them to work, free of charge, if unable to pay. They also conduct an employment agency
for women. At this date Dr. Ada McMahon is at the head of the institution, so far as the medical department is
concerned. The superintendent and matron is Mrs. L. H. Roche. The home fronts on Alabama street and has eleven
good rooms. Good table board is afforded, at reasonable rates. Mrs. Roche was for fifteen years engaged in the
same line of work in Chicago and five years of that period was in the work among the people of the slums of that
LAFAYETTE PUBLIC LIBRARY.
(By Mrs. Virginia Stein.)
In the year 1882, Mr. J. J. Perrin, who for a number of years was treasurer of the Lafayette public school fund,
gave to the city ten thousand dollars for the purchase of books. This was the beginning of the public library,
which was established under the law enacted in Indiana, in 1881, which law provided for a city tax levy not to
exceed three cents on a hundred dollars. This tax has since, by acts of the legislature, been increased to ten
cents, though the city of Lafayette has never levied over six cents, and for the years 1907-08 it was but five.
The library was originally located in two rooms of the high school building. The first librarian was Mrs. Jeanette
B. Hyde, who held the position from November, 1882, until January, 1887, when she resigned; she was succeeded by
Miss Eulara Miller, who remained until January, 1888, when she left the city to take a position as librarian of
Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York. She was succeeded by Mrs. Virginia Stein, the present incumbent. Both Mrs.
Hyde and Miss Miller gave most efficient service in cramped quarters and with a limited, but well chosen number
The first eight thousand volumes were selected by various committees, and they did their work exceedingly well,
putting on the shelves a good standard collection which has since been very judiciously added to.
The library remained in its first location, which was insufficient for it, and badly needed for the increasing
high school, until 1901. At that date the city received from Mrs. W. F. Reynolds, as a gift for library purposes,
an old fashioned dwelling house situated on a goodly piece of ground, embracing a fourth of a city block. This
old residence was originally erected by James Spears, a large stockholder in the Big Four Railroad Company, for
his private home. The library trustees have since added to this ground by the purchase of a strip of land sixty
six feet by one hundred and thirty six feet, making in all one hundred and ninety eight by one hundred and thirty
six feet, quite centrally located, being on the corner of Fifth and South streets, the library facing the north.
When this building was originally built in the fifties, it was one of the handsomest buildings in Lafayette. The
main building is of a plastered brick with a quaint iron portico over the door, covered with honeysuckle and other
vines. For some years before the building was used for a library it had been occupied by the Young Men's Christian
Association, and they had built an addition in the rear to serve as a gymnasium. This gymnasium was forty by seventy
feet, and was well lighted; it now makes a most desirable stock room. While in many respects the old building is
inconvenient and illy adapted for its present uses, it has nevertheless much of charm in a quaint, unpretentious
way. There is a certain dignity, a pleasing individuality in its simple straight lines, its lofty rooms, its vine
draped outer walls, with their setting of green lawn and old fashioned flowers; and there are many appreciative
souls to whom it would be a keen regret were there any likelihood of replacing the present weather beaten structure
with a modern Carnegie building of stereotyped pattern.
The Lafayette library co-operates in every way possible with the public schools and does good work for the pupils.
It also ministers to the wants of some twenty clubs and literary societies.
The number of volumes catalogued, up to May, 1909, was twenty one thousand, nine hundred and fourteen. The circulation
for the year 1908-'09, was: History, travel and biography, five thousand, five hundred and f ortynine; literature,
three thousand, four hundred and sixty; science and arts, two thousand, two hundred and twenty one; miscellaneous,
two thousand, eight hundred and seventy two; fiction, thirty three thousand, one hundred and eleven; juvenile,
sixteen thousand, nine hundred and fifty six.
In glancing over the figures and seeing the preponderance of fiction taken from the library, one is apt to conclude
that Lafayette is especially a fiction reading community. But it should be remembered that the city contains many
excellent private libraries of standard works, and that the owners come to the library only for the fiction they
do not care to add to their own shelves.
The value of the books of history, literature and science, which find their way to homes without libraries, cannot
The Lafayette public library, considering the number of its volumes, is rich in history and literature, and fairly
well equipped in art. The sciences have fallen behind for various reasons, the most important being a lack of funds,
which makes it necessary to reduce the purchase of books in certain lines. And as the Purdue University library
- accessible to many public library patrons - is obliged to keep up with the sciences, it was thought best, if
some department must be slighted, to cut here. Moreover, the sciences today grow apace, and new discoveries follow
each other with such rapidity that only the weekly issues of magazines can keep up with them.
A library is indeed a wonderful place. Here in Lafayette, through the trifling annual expense of some five thousand
dollars by the city, the public has access to the immortal poems, the wisdom of the sages, the newest discoveries
and the latest clever novel.
Viewed from a commercial standpoint, even the smallest of libraries is a tremendous bargain, much knowledge for
the money; while as a cultural asset, it is, of course, beyond price to any community. And, therefore, Lafayette
should take pride in making her present twenty one thousand volumes but the nucleus of future public possessions.
The pioneer artist of the Wabash valley, indeed of the entire state, George Winter (father of Mrs. C. G. Ball,
of Lafayette), was beyond question the most gifted artist in the early history of the state. He painted a beautiful
oil painting of the "Battle of Tippecanoe." which was presented to the state and for many years hung
in the old state house, but another generation which had more greed than appreciation for the finer things of life,
allowed it to be destroyed for want of ordinary care.
Mr. Winter was to the Miamis and Pottawatomie Indian tribes what the great artist and traveler Catlin was to the
North American Indian, in general - a famous portrait painter of them. He came from England, a cultured young man
of twenty years, in 1830, landing in New York and, seven years later, wended his way to Logansport, Indiana. After
thirteen years there he removed to Lafayette, where he died in 1876. In early days he raffled his paintings off
for a livelihood. Many of these rare gems of paintings are still carefully preserved in Logansport, Lafayette,
Peru and other Indian towns. According to his own statement, he painted at least six creditable paintings of the
battle of Tippecanoe. Two of these paintings contained one hundred and fifty two feet of canvas each. These he
painted in 1840. He said, in his writings, that he was allured to Indiana on account of the removal of the Pottawattomie
Indians to the country beyond the Mississippi, desiring to be present at the last great councils of the tribes
and sketch their dusky faces, ere they bid a long adieu to the Wabash valley.
His daughter, Mrs. Ball, now has (or not long ago did have) nine oil paintings and thirty eight water color pictures
by his brush. Four canvases are filled with the groups of thirty three Pattawattomie chiefs and women. One is a
life size of Francis Godfroy, the last war chief of the Miamis, and another is of Joseph Barron, the celebrated
interpreter for General Harrison for eighteen years. The watercolors are about one foot square. Several represent
burial scenes among Indians. Another subject is. "The First Miami Indian that Cultivated Corn with a Plow."
There is, along with his collection, a vast amount of valuable manuscripts concerning the habits and customs of
Mr. Winter, in 1839, visited Dead Man's village, the Indian settlement on the Mississinewa river near Peru, to
make a portrait of Frances Slocum, the white girl stolen from her home in Pennsylvania when she was but three years
of age. He also made sketches of her several surroundings, from different points of view. He painted the beautiful
valley landscape. When thought to be dying, she disclosed to Col. G. W. Ewing, of Fort Wayne, her white origin
and early history. She survived, however, until 1847. Her people came on and tried to get her to return home, but
all to no avail, and then the family sent to Mr. Winter to secure her portrait, which he did.
Mr. Winter also painted a fine oil portrait of Gen. William Henry Harrison, just before his election as President,
and he intended to present it for exhibition at Cincinnati before the General went on to take his seat at Washington,
but the plans failed, and the picture, or one like it, was given to the state of Indiana, but through gross neglect,
it has long since been destroyed - be it said in shame.
THE LAFAYETTE ART ASSOCIATION.
(By One of its Members.)
To those, many years ago, when the mothers and fathers of the boys and girls of today were the young people
of yesterday, art in America was indeed a child in their midst. Every well educated young lady learned to draw
a little, many painted a little. The average drawing teacher was possessed of a portfolio of "copies,"
prints and paintings to be used as pupils' models. Many such haunt my memory. Also there are few of us who do not
remember homes in which were cherished certain nightmares of art (so called) dear to the hearts of doting parents
and proudly pointed out by them as the work of Lizzie or Mary or Georgie.
Specialization in art study was the exception and not the rule in America, and the men and women who really became
artists and depended upon art for their livelihood were few and far between. To acquire thorough artistic training
our youth sought the atelier of the old world. Europe was the mecca of their dreams, and when successful the glamour
of their surroundings held them and their foster mother claimed them too often as in the case of Edwin Abbey and
But Ruskin had come; he and William Morris and their ilk had written and sent out a clarion call to all with the
love of the true and beautiful in their hearts. The echoes of this call reached many a waiting ear, and each one
hastened in his or her own way to respond. One by one every city found herself possessed of an organized group
who wished to study art or arts and crafts in some form or other. In 1898 a group of Lafayette women met and discussed
the formation of such a club.
Miss Elizabeth Baird and Miss Sara Shield (both since deceased) were charter members, and with a number of others
met at the home of Mrs. Lutz and organized as the Art Club. Mrs. Lutz was the first president elected, and through
all the years of its existence the club has had no more loyal or interested member. The object of the Art Club
as set forth in Article 2 of its constitution is "to stimulate an art interest by bringing exhibits of pictures
and works of art to our city, by the encouragement of home talent, and by a course of art study." This object
we have never lost sight of. Each year all members have carried on a systematic course of art study, and each year
have brought to Lafayette some collection of pictures, some exhibit of arts and crafts or some lecturer on kindred
At these open meetings their friends and the public have been welcome guests.
Miss Laura Fry and Miss Sampson, of the Purdue Art School. have been faithful members of the club, and through
their influence and the courtesy of President Stone the club has on several occasions been given the use of university
assembly rooms for their open meetings.
For several years we have, however. felt our limitations. With all the good will in the world, our resources were
limited. The time seemed ripe for a step onward. We joined our state federation of clubs. We felt the inspiration
of the general awakening of art interests all over our country and state. In Indiana, Richmond led the way. Too
much cannot be said in praise of Mrs. Johnstone and her work there.
In September of 1908, the Art Club met with eighteen members on our roll. Mrs. Oscar Johnson was elected president;
Miss Fry, vice president: Miss Wurster, secretary and treasurer. The first two named were charter members, also
Mrs. Lutz and Mrs. Ross. Mrs. Sackett. formerly of Richmond, and full of Richmond enthusiasm, became one of us.
and we determined to secure the co-operation of our friends by inviting them to become associate members. Interest
in our project became more and more general. new names poured in and finally, in the spring of 1909. a public meeting
was held and the Art Association launched with a membership of over four hundred. Judge Vinton was elected president;
Miss Fry vice president. and Miss Beeson secretary. Mr. Cecil Fowler was elected treasurer. A board of seventeen
directors. the majority of which are members of the Art Club. have charge of the annual exhibit. This year we secured
the exhibit of the Society of Western Artists, numbering over two hundred pictures. The members of the Art Association
opened the doors of this exhibit to the general public and all the children of the city schools. Any one who witnessed
the coming and going of these two thousand children and saw their interest and delight in it felt repaid. The association
hope that this year's work will be eclipsed in the years to come by many larger and better exhibits.
We hope to co-operate with Richmond and our sister cities in this work. To develop the seeing eye and the skillful
hand, our boys and girls must see pictures of real merit. If some day we possess in our city a public collection
worthy the name, if we send forth into the world an artist on whom the mantle of Gainsborough or Reynolds has fallen,
then indeed the club and all its members, past and present, will feel repaid. Each president who has served, Mrs.
Davidson, Mrs. Ross, Mrs. Cole, Miss Fry, Miss Jessie Jones, Mrs. Jaques and others aleady named have all done
their part. Each one will rejoice in the outcome.
Some years ago the Art Club purchased one small picture as a nucleus for a future collection, to be owned by our
city and by them placed in a gallery connected with our new high school building. This by way of our castle in
CEMETERIES IN LAFAYETTE.
The care taken of the "silent cities" of any community - the burying places - is but a true index
of the character of the people, and when one observes these sacred spots kept in the best of care and when on stated
times, like Decoration day, the little mounds are covered with garlands of beautiful flowers and a soft matting
of grass. carpeting the enclosure in which rest the earthly remains of parent. and child and lover, it is evident
that the people who make up that section have been educated and are refined in their tastes. The monumental evidences,
consisting of plain and more elaborate monuments of marble and granite. all bespeak of a civilized and Christianized
country. Where the household treasure is there will be the heart also.
Lafayette early saw the necessity of providing a proper spot for cemetery purposes, and its early settlers and
town founders purchased of Gideon Lane and wife the ground now embraced in what is known as Greenbush cemetery,
and dedicated the plot for this purpose. This purchase was made in 1847, and February 3d following, the legislature
passed a special act incorporating "The Greenbush Cemetery of Lafayette." The incorporators embracing
the original purchasers of the grounds were: David Ross, Richard H. Eldridge, Thomas P Emerson, Othniel L. Clark,
Joseph S. Hanna, Matthias S. Scudder, Lawrence B. Stockton, Zebulon Baird, Godlove S. Orth, Luther Jewett, George
Nichol, Jesse Andrew. Nathan H. Stockwell. William F. Reynolds, Cyrus Ball, Charles F. Wilstach, Rudolph S. Ford,
James F. Clark, Thomas S. Cox, John Purdue, John B. McFarland, Robert Heath and William P. Heath.
One of the trustees, David Ross, was elected and re-elected, serving until his death in 1872; and his son, William
Ross, succeeded him. The price fixed at first on the lots was ten dollars. In December, 1865, it was decided to
add to these grounds, and a strip was purchased between Twelfth street and the original grounds at one thousand
dollars. Again, in 1869, another addition was made and upon this was erected a plain tenement house constructed
of brick. This purchase. with the improvements made, cost the association two thousand, four hundred and eighty
one dollars. By carefully handling the funds of the corporation, the trustees managed from the sale of lots and
investments made, to have property in way of a surplus amounting to eleven thousand dollars by 1878. In 1875 an
iron fence was built around the grounds, on the north and east, having a beautiful gateway at the main entrance,
costing - fence and gateway - three thousand, four hundred dollars.
An interesting feature of the management of this cemetery association is the record kept of all interments, embracing
a register of the names, age, date of death. disease, nativity, etc. In 1878 there had been recorded the names
of more than fifteen hundred persons buried since the first, which was in April, 1848.
The act under which this association was formed, provided, among other things, that "all real estate held
by such corporation for burial purposes. whether laid out into lots or not, shall be deemed a perpetual dedication
of the same, and shall forever be held by said association in trust for such purposes, and none other."
What is sometimes known as the City cemetery is within the same enclosure and was used for burial purposes in the
early forties and is still owned, in fact, by the city; but few burials are made there. William Digby, founder
of Lafayette, lies buried on this part of the cemetery, although ofttimes reported as being buried at another point.
This cemetery - Greenbush - is well cared for and is among the most attractive in Indiana.
Springvale cemetery is another graveyard used by Lafayette. It was in December. 1868, that the Springvale Cemetery
Association was organized under the general laws of the state. One hundred and fifty acres was purchased; the same
is situated on the Linwood gravel road. two miles to the northeast of the city. It is fitted by nature for the
use to which it has been put. It has been said of its environments: "Hill, vale, forest and lake, combined
to make the spot attractive; while beds of gravel and sand furnish abundant material for the construction of walks
and proper drainage." During the winter of 1868-9, the timber was largely removed, the grounds enclosed, gateways
constructed, and also a beautiful bridge on Central avenue, over a natural ravine, called Consecration Dell (because
the dedication services were held there). Drives, walks and other improvements were soon added. The consecration
services were held there October 17, 1869, when the very eloquent and highly appropriate address was made by Bishop
Within the enclosures of Greenbush and Springvale cemeteries lie buried eight thousand people, all from Lafayette
and immediate vicinity. There are over four hundred Union soldiers who had been citizens of the city, who were
buried within this enclosure and six hundred, more or less, of persons who died during the terrible cholera scourges
of 1849 and 1854. The large per cent. of these victims were buried in the old city cemetery, they being foreigners
who were at the time engaged at work on the Wabash and Erie canal. There are also interred here the remains of
twenty two Union soldiers with headstones marked with the simple, but telling inscription, "UNKNOWN UNION
SOLDIER." These all lie buried side by side. Near by are the graves of about as many, possibly a few more,
of unknown dead, who had served in the Confederate cause, were taken prisoners of war and kept in the old "Packing
house Prison" in the south part of the city of Lafayette, and died while there and their whereabouts could
never be ascertained, hence were buried here, finally. The "unknown" Union soldiers, above mentioned,
were all killed in a head end railway collision on the Big Four road, three miles south of Lafayette. in 1864.
while coming North. A singular thing about this matter is that not one of the number had a single mark of identification,
in way of letters, or anything to tell where they came from or who they were. Thus sleep the long sleep of death
the "Blue and the Gray." But they are not forgotten by the Grand Army men of the city, who with the return
of each Memorial day see that their graves are decorated and a flag - the one they fought for and against - is
carefully put at their graves.
Another thing has been learned by consulting the sexton of Greenbush cemetery and his perfect modern records, and
that is that the book of entries shows that there are more old persons being buried in the last generations than
among the old pioneers. More persons now reaching the good old age of eighty and eighty five and older, than for
a like period of years away back in the thirties and forties.
St. Mary's Catholic cemetery is located in Elston, two miles to the southwest of the city, proper.
St. Joseph's German Catholic cemetery is at the northwest corner of Seventeenth and Greenbush streets, two squares
east of the Linwood school, This was laid out for burial purposes in 1858, and includes about four acres.
The Jewish cemetery, on Third street hill. contains about four acres as originally platted. This was purchased
and dedicated to the Hebrew people about 1859.