The first election in this sub-division of Tippecanoe county was held in 1829, previous to the real organization
of the township, and in fact before the boundary lines were fixed definitely. It was called Cole township, in honor
of James Cole, but it was later changed to Lauramie - reason not known to the present historian. In 1830 a permanent
organization of the township was effected, and Hezekiah Hunter was elected justice of the peace.
Lauramie is the southeastern township in Tippecanoe county, and comprises all of township No. 21, range 3, and
one half of range 4 of the same township, making fifty four sections of land. It is one of the most highly cultivated
and valuable parts of the county. Its population in 1900 was two thousand five hundred and forty six.
The first settlers in this part of Tippecanoe county were Leonard Anthony, William and Daniel Stingley, Nathan
Parsons, Johnson, James and Richard Cole, Jacob Thorn, William Van Horn, Thomas Hewitt and Isaac Wickersham.
The next year, 1829, saw the little settlement increased by the arrival of Hezekiah Enos, Daniel and John Hunter,
Henry Wunstaff, Daniel Stoner, Thomas Ellis, Joseph Gladden, George, Samuel, Leonard and Jerry Barcus, all of whom
settled near the present town of Stockwell. The same season came George P. Roudebush, locating near Concord, where
he was later joined by Joseph Stoner, John Stutsman, George Kessler, Frederick Hanger and Moses Guinn. Thomas H.
O'Neal settled about the same time at Monroe.
Schools early had attention by the pioneers above named, and in 1829 Mr. Cormeen opened a subscription school,
the first in the township. It was a rude affair and like many another of those early days, the spot where bright
intellects gained their first inspirations and training. Among the pupils of this school was he who came to be
known as Honorable James Cole, member of the Indiana legislature, and a man of marked power and great influence.
The religion of the pioneer settlers of this township was of the unadulterated type, simple and consistent with
the teachings of the man of Galilee. The first services were held by Rev. Vredenburg, at the house of James Cole,
Sr., near Stockwell, and until the year 1840 the religious meetings were held from house to house.
In 1832 Daniel Hunter erected a double log house for hotel purposes, on the Indianapolis and Lafayette road. It
was a much traveled thoroughfare and he found the business very profitable. Soon a little hamlet sprang into existence,
and it was naturally named after the landlord and was styled Huntersville. For a time it grew and prospered up
to the most sanguine expectations of its founders; but when the St. Louis & Chicago railroad line passed through
the county, leaving it off its route, it went into decay, and now not a vestige of its former greatness(?) exists.
The first birth within Lauramie township, as now described, was the male child born to Mrs. James Cole, the
date being in 1829.
The first death in the township was an aged lady - a Mrs. Waters, who was buried on the farm of James Cole, and
was subsequently removed to the Barcus burying ground.
The earliest mail facilities was a postoffice established at the house of Hezekiah Hunter, at Huntersville. He
remained in charge of the office until 1838, when George W. Anderson became postmaster. serving eighteen months.
The office was then changed to John Kilgore. who remained in charge of the mail until the completion of the railroad,
when it was remoyed to the new town of Stockwell.
TOWNS AND VILLAGES OF THE TOWNSHIP.
The largest town within this township is, in point of population. Clark's Hill, with seven hundred fifty people.
It was laid out 1850-51. by Daniel D. Clark, the proprietor of the land upon which it is situated. He gaye it its
name in honor of his own family name. The first store opened at that point was by E. J. Loveless, who kept a stock
of general merchandise. and in addition thereto was largely interested in grain dealing and owned a large warehouse.
Other pioneer dealers were: Messrs. Clark. Mitchell & Clark and Alfred Caves, warehouses and stores. The first
hotel was opened by James Buckley in 1853, and conducted by him four or five years. Then W. S. Bryant became its
proprietor. The first church in the village was the Methodist Episcopal, built under the superyision of Alfred
Caves, in 1855, and was also occupied by the United Brethren denomination. In 1866 the Catholic congregation erected
a church building. and in 1870, the Christian church was built through the untiring zeal and efforts of Samuel
George Wright Grand Army Post was established and numbered 185. in December, 1882, by Capt. J. B. Shaw, of Lafayette.
Stockwell, which is a rival to Clark's Hill, and in the eighties was by all odds the most important place in the
township, was platted about 1850. Reuben Baker was the original proprietor. He named his town "Baker's Corners."
After a few years he disposed of his land and interest in the hamlet to a company composed of Robert Stockwell,
William F. Reynolds. Moses Fowler, Rev. John L. Smith, Hon. Albert S. White and Rev. James Courtney, who prosecuted
the work already commenced by Mr. Baker. The name of the town was changed to Stockwell. It was then known that
it would become a station point on the Cincinnati, Indianapolis. St. Louis & Chicago railroad - then being
constructed. Its business grew with the county, and it has now come to be a first class trading place and supplies
the ordinary merchandise wanted by the farmers of that section of the county. Its present population is between
five and six hundred.
Monroe, now a hamlet of about three score people, is on the line of the railroad, in the northeast portion of the
township, and on the old state road between Lafayette and Indianapolis. It was laid out in December, 1832, by William
Major, who owned the land upon which it is located. Prior to railroad times it was a town of considerable importance,
and bid fair to become a good town of the county. The railroad diverted the line of trade and its business was
forever blighted. The first store operated at Monroe was opened by William McBride, who removed to Illinois about
three years later. Reuben Baker then opened a store in the same building, which was later purchased by C. P. Lee.
Alexander Hutchinson then bought the building and conducted a grocery store for several years. The pioneer physician
of the village was Dr. Benjamin Carter, who located there in 1832. He was succeeded by Dr. M. Baker within a few
years. Dr. Umphrey and Dr. Ferguson were also early doctors of Monroe.
Concord, now defunct, was laid out in 1831-32, by James B. Johnson, who owned several thousand acres of land, upon
a part of which tract he concluded to found a town. There he erected a mill which was the chief industry of the
place. The town was situated on section 2, township 21, range 4 west, in the northwest corner of Lauramie township.
Before the completion of the Wabash and Erie canal, he enjoyed a favorable prospect of having a town of much importance.
At present the section is known only by its being a beautiful agricultural section, with happy farm homes on every
Yorktown is another village located on section 21, range 3 west.
The church history of Lauramie township will be found largely in the "Religious Chapter" of this work.
The township now has good public school buildings with an enrollment of five hundred ten pupils within its borders.