A WOODEN RAILROAD.
The following interesting reminiscence has been contributed by one familiar with the facts, but was received
too late to be inserted in its proper place in the first volume of this work.
In about 1855-56 a wooden railroad was built in Tippecanoe county. Starting at West Lafayette, the road ran alongside
the highway leading by the water tank, thence to the "Two-mile" saw mill, and on out the old plank road
to what is now known as Klondike. Here the road went in a northerly direction around the burying ground, then turned
up towards Mr. Harvey's place, and stopped. The original intention had been to run the road to Oxford, but it was
completed only to the Four-mile brickyard. The idea was originated by the late Henry L. Ellsworth, who thought
to haul lumber to Oxford and then load up with corn for the return trip. Mules were used as the motive power, and
the rails were of wood, four by four inches in size, the material being sawed out at the Ellsworth sawmill, four
miles from Lafayette. It is stated that Thomas Murdock, at the age of thirteen years, was employed in the grading
of the road, receiving eight dollars a month as wages. The road was operated intermittently for about a year, and
then passed into disuse.