Randolph township is the central sub-division of Tippecanoe, in the southern tier of townships. It is situated
west of Lauramie and east from Jackson township, with both Wea. and Union on its north, and bounded on the south
by the county line. It contains thirty sections of choice farming land.
As early as the year 1826 this township had the following permanent settlers within its borders: Mr. Buell and
family, who first settled on the farm later owned by George W. House, Jr.; Major Ristine, who located on section
19; Judge Wiley, who first settled in the north part of the township (now Wea), subsequently removing to the south
part; Judge Allen, who settled on the land since owned by Dr. Simison; John T. Jack, Mr. McDeed, and William Webster,
who settled west of Judge Allen, on the same section. Late in the fall of 1828 came George W. House, Sr.
Randolph Lodge, No. 376, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was organized July 24, 1871, by D. D. G. M. Thomas
Undenvood, of Lafayette.
Eudora Lodge, No. 13o, Rebekah degree of the Odd Fellows order, was instituted October to, 1874.
A subscription school was taught in this township in 1826, the school term covering a period of about four months
Among the early ministers to proclaim the gospel in this part of Tippecanoe was Rev. Richard Hargrave and Rev.
Samuel Brenton, of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Rev. J. A. Carnahan, of the Presbyterian denomination, who
conducted religious services at intervals in the places before named, and until the year 1835, at private houses,
etc. But in that year the Methodist people erected a building for church purposes at Romney, which they occupied
until their increasing congregations rendered the building of a new edifice necessary. The first building was later
used by the Odd Fellows as their hall. Religious services were conducted in this church until 1875, when, by donation,
a five thousand dollar church edifice was constructed, the same being the gift of George W. House, Jr. The Presbyterians
built at Romney in 1845. For more on the churches of Randolph township see religious chapter in this book.
ROMNEY AND CORWIN.
These are the only villages within the township. Romney is a flourishing village of about two hundred population,
laid out in 1831-2 by Joseph Halstead, who was the proprietor of the land upon which it is situated. He became
the pioneer merchant at this point, he having kept a general merchandise store there before the town was incorporated.
Among the early merchants, there were William Throckmorton, John Ryan and Isaac Messick. In 1832 a hotel was built
by John Mack, and by him conducted for a number of years.
Romney is a station on the Louisville, New Albany & Chicago railway line, and one of the lively trading marts
in Tippecanoe county. It now has a population of two hundred. It was originally called Columbia; platted August
29, 1832, by John Peterson.
Corwin is near to Romney and enjoyed at one time considerable trade.
Randolph township is the seat of good school houses, and the last annual report of the county superintendent of
schools shows that the total enrollment of pupils within the township was two hundred and thirty five.
Stock raising in this township has long since been a leading industry and been very profitable to the owners of
large farms or ranches.
The township had a population of eight hundred and forty two in 1900.