History of Sheffield Township, Tippecanoe
From: Past and Present of Tippecanoe County, Indiana
General R. P. DeHart, Editor in Chief
B. F. Bowen & Company, Publishers
Indianapolis, Indiana 1909
Sheffield township is south of Perry, east of Fairfield and south of Washington, with the line of the county
for its eastern border. In form it is square and contains thirty six sections of most excellent land. To become
known as the pioneer settler of so goodly a township as Sheffield has come to be, is indeed an honor, and such
honor rests on the names of James Paige and Richard Baker, who entered this part of Tippecanoe county in the month
of March, 1823. For a week or more their only abode was the wagons in which they had come to the county. In the
meantime they set about clearing away a patch of timber land, cut and hewed logs with which to build the cabin.
Within two weeks after their arrival in this green, glad solitude, they were cheered by the coming of two families
from the East. These were the Thompson and Luther Corbin families, who located at or near where Wyandot now stands.
The next summer came Adam Spring and Mr. Skinner.
There always lingers around the first events of any given community a certain interest that even follows down
into later generations, and it is for this reason that in this connection will be given some of the more important
events styled "first" in this township. The virgin soil was first broken by the plow of James Paige,
the first settler, in the early spring of 1823, the first corn being planted by him a few weeks later. Around this
corn field was constructed the first rail fence of the township. That autumn he sowed the first wheat planted in
the soil of this part of Tippecanoe county, the seed for which he brought from Terre Haute in a pirogue. This pirogue
was made at Wyandot, loaded with honey and run out by the Wild Cat creek into the Wabash river, thence to Terre
Haute, from which point it was brought back laden with three bushels of wheat, a barrel of flour, and a small supply
of groceries. The cutting of that wheat on the Fourth day of July following was the first Fourth of July celebration
in the township. All the neighbors within a radius of several miles participated in the festivities of the occasion,
the crowning feature of which was a bountiful repast prepared by the genial host and his most excellent wife.
The first religious meetings in this township were held at the house of James Paige, in the autumn of 1823.
The first minister was of the Methodist Episcopal faith - the then venerable Rev. James A. Carnahan. He was followed
by Revs. Crawford and Post. The Presbyterians erected the first house for public worship in this township in 1833.
(See "Religious Chapter" elsewhere in this book.)
This township has no large towns, but has had several plattings of villages. In 1827 William Bush divided a
portion of his land into town lots, and to such platting gave the name of Fairfield, but it soon developed that
there was already another town by the same name in Indiana. and the postal authorities forbid two of the same name
within the same state. About the same date Dr. Horran divided eighty acres into town lots and gave it the name
of "Marquis." In 1830 David Gregory platted and laid out a north division to the town, and at his suggestion
the name was changed to Dayton.
This was another town of some importance in this township. It was about 1828, when William Heaton purchased
fourteen hundred acres of the Richardsville Reserve, and a year or so later platted the town of Wyandot. The name
was suggested by the name of the Indian village of like orthography, and which was about half a mile to the north.
This town once figured quite largely as a trading post. A mill was there erected and for a number of years a lively
trade was conducted, one of the major industries being the large export of hogs and cattle. But in the seventies
the course of the creek was changed, the mill went to decay and the business interests of the embryo town soon
went to naught. It is now in the environments of a beautiful farming section.