Shelby township Was named in honor of Isaac Shelby, who was appointed to survey and locate a road from Logansport
to La Grange, on the Warren county line.
It is situated in the northwestern part of Tippecanoe county, and contains about fifty three congressional townships.
It is noted as being a fertile agricultural section and lands have been highly improved by an intelligent set of
soil tillers, who have brought all to a most perfect and highly productive condition, hence the lands are very
valuable. The population of the township in 1900 was one thousand six hundred sixty two, which has increased in
proportion to the steady growth of the entire county.
In regard to the settlement, let it be recorded that in 1828 the principal residents were:
John Cuppy, Job Haigh, John Dolly, William Foster, Joseph Moore, John Brigham, Wendall Brown. Z. Brown, John Foster
and William McCrea.
Those who effected a permanent settlement in 1829 were: Moses and John McFarland, Enos Moore, John S. VanNatta,
William Layton, Thomas Moore, Henry H. Moore, Wingate Timmans, Joshua Timmans, Benjamin Leichty and Stephen Sappington.
Worthy of mention were settlers named as follows: Abraham Switzer, Benjamin Eastburn, Samuel I. Godman, John White,
William Jordan, Jacob Shambaugh and James W. Holliday.
Until 1838 the buildings of Shelby township were made from logs from the nearby forests. During that year John
Brigham erected a frame residence on section 29, and other frame structures soon followed his. But he being a man
of considerable means, for those days, had better improvements than did his less fortunate neighbors.
Montmorenci, the only village of Shelby township, is located on section 6, east of the center of the township,
and was laid out by Sampson Hinkle, one of, if not the first, merchants in the township. He established a general
store in 1830. During that year a man erected a water grist mill on Indian creek. Montmorenci finally became a
railroad station point. It now has about two hundred and fifty inhabitants. The church and school history of this
township and the village just named will be treated under their proper headings in the general chapters of this