Until March 10, 1871, the west half of the territory now comprised in Union township was attached to Wayne,
the south portion of the east half to Randolph, and the north portion to Fairfield. A movement was inaugurated
during the year just named to organize a new township, and after a slight opposition the measure carried. From
the fact that its early history is interwoven with that of the parent townships from which it was taken, it is
more difficult to trace out its first settlers. Its topography consists, for the most part, of level prairie land,
broken occasionally by gentle hillocks. The Little Wea creek flows through the northeastern portion of its territory.
It was in the spring of long ago 1824. when Joseph Hawkins and William Jones entered this fair and fertile domain
and planted a crop of corn and small grains, remained until autumn and returned to their respective homes, but
soon came back accompanied by their families. During the same season came in Baker Guest. Polston Stidham, James
Ellis and William Dimmitt. These constituted the little colony which passed the first winter alone within this
township - the winter of 1824 - at least so far as the eastern part of the township was concerned.
The next spring - 1825 - the settlement was increased by the arrival of John Murdock, John Provault, John Little,
Mordecai Mendenhall, Joseph and William Hollingsworth, Abel Jenny, Isaac, Samuel and David Johns, Phineas Heston,
James West, Peter Hughes and Dr. Durkee.
The first school in the township was opened in 1826, and ever since the educational interests of this portion of
the township have kept pace with the growth of the country. Today (1909) there are good school houses and the township
has an enrollment of seventy five pupils.
The religious element of Union township, especially in the south portion of the territory, is composed of members
of the Friends Society, who originally were very numerous. The first meeting house was erected by them in 1827.
A grist mill was put in operation in 1827, by Joseph Hawkins, same being propelled by the fast flowing waters of
Wea creek. For three years he controlled the milling industry of the township, and with great profits to himself.
It was divided, however, after 1830 with the mill erected by a Mr. Waymire.
The first marriage within Union township was that which united John Huff and Miss Bessie Piatt, in 1826.
Death first visited the newly organized township in 1824, when Miss Harriett Jenny, daughter of Abel Jenny, was
called from earth, while the father was absent from home to a grist mill several miles distant.
In 1851 a Farmer's Institute was formed in a school house on the southern line of this township, by the contributions
of a few citizens It was successfully conducted as a private society for two years, with an annual attendance of
seventy five students. Following this a stock company was formed, the capital increased, and improvements made,
including a boarding house. A few years later this school was ceded to the Society of Friends, who made further
improvements and successfully managed the school several years longer. The original trustees were: P. Ellis, Elihu
Hollingsworth, Buddell Sleeper and Milton Hollingsworth. Joseph Fisher was the first principal. This school was
still holding its regular sessions in 1887.
Union township contains about twenty seven sections of land; is in township 22, range 5. Its population in 1900,
according to the Federal census, was six hundred and fifty seven.
The villages platted within Union township are Wea Station, Shadeland and Taylor's Station. These are all very
small places, way stations on the line of railroad through the township, but are convenient trading and mail points
for the farming community.
Farmer's Institute, in this township, has a population of one hundred and twenty.