PUTNAM TOWNSHIP was formed by the county commissioners, April 7, 1870, and named in honor of Leander Putnam.
The township is bounded as follows: Commencing at the northwest corner of Walker township, on the north line of
the county; thence west to the line between ranges 18 and 19; thence south to the southwest corner of township
19; thence east to Ianthe creek; thence following the main channel of said creek to Pottowatomie creek; thence
down the main channel of. Pottowatomie creek to a point where it crosses the line of Walker township; thence north
to the place of beginning; containing 30 square miles.
The principal part of the lands of Putnam township are high, rolling prairie. It has, however, good valley lands,
and timber along the streams forming its southern boundary. It contains some of the finest farms in the county.
The first settlement in this portion of the county was made by the Rocker family, in 1855, on the north side of
the Pottowatomie, and during the summer of 1856 several others came, among whom were Henry Feuerborn, Rezin Porter,
Henry Ritter, Eli P. Bawgus, William Tull, Geo. W. Yandall, James McGue and Mrs. Totton.
In the spring of 1857 there was a large immigration to the township. The Scipio colony, spoken of in another chapter,
came in this year; as well as many others, who are mentioned elsewhere. The Saint Boniface church is situated in
this township; also Mount Carmel college. The first school district in the county was organized in this township
in December, 1858, with A. Garrett, James Farrah and M. Puett as a school board, who erected the first school house
in the county. The Saint Boniface Catholic church was erected in 1858, and was the first church building in the
county. In 1871 the Catholic church organized a college, known as "Mount Carmel," and erected a fine
building, and have since maintained a good school therein.
1870, J. J. Spencer; 1871-2-3-1-5, Leander Putnam.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1870, G. W. Flint and J. M. Perrine; 1872, G. W. Flint and J. J. Spencer; 1874, G. W. Flint and F. Lichteig.
1870, Leander Putnam; 1871-2-3-4, A. C. Messenger; 1875, A. R. Smith.
1870-4-2, Melvin Cottle; 1873-4, J. F. Ricketts; 1875, J. Taylor.
LINCOLN TOWNSHIP was formed and its boundaries established October 3,1870, as follows: Commencing on the east
line of Anderson county, at the northeast corner of section 3, township 21, range 21; thence west to the northwest
corner of section 4, township 21, range 20; thence south to the line dividing ranges 21 and 22; thence east to
the county line; thence north to the place of beginning; containing 48 square miles.
The first settlement in the township was in May, 1857, by Daniel Elsbury, on North Sugar creek, and 36 during the
year the following persons also settled in the township: John Lawrence, Charles Vanguilder, Wm. Taylor, H. K. Robinson,
Wesley Spindler, Mrs. Fry, Dr. J. W. Swank, M. E. Osborn, Benjamin Peoples, James D. Ridgeway, B. F. Ridgeway,
S. B. Miller, Mrs. Ashburn. Among those of 1858 were R. H. P. Snodgrass, Riley Lawrence, Geo. Enoch, James Lowry,
David • Wright, A. W. Ross, Wm. Vess, Blaine A. Vess, Cyrus Morris, Presley Morris, Adison Morris, Samuel Morris,
Anthony Holloman and Virgil Hollomon. Prominent settlers of 1859 were C. T. Chapin, Samuel McCollum, Daniel McCollum,
Nelson Tusteson, James Hourigan, Wm. Rebstock and Christian Rebstock.
The township is watered by several streams, which supply an abundance of good water. Timber is rather scarce. It
contains numerous beautiful round mounds, and a great variety of valley land; and the soil of the township is about
an average with other parts of the county.
The first death in the township was Mrs. Snodgrass, in July, 1858.
Elba town company was organized January 23, 1858, composed of Harvey Springer, B. F. Ridgeway, A. G. Poteet and
William Springer. The company surveyed and laid out a town on the west half of section 8, township 21, range 21,
and filed a plat thereof with the probate judge of the county, and asked that the land so platted be pre-empted
as a townsite; but this town never had any existence except on paper, and was never pre-empted, the company wisely
concluding that it was useless to spend time and money in attempting to build a town on the site.
The first election in the township was held on the day of the general election in November, 1870.
1870-1-2, M. E. Osborn; 1873, A. E. Rogers; 1874, Ed. Stein; 1875, D. M. Osborn.
1870-1-2-3-4, B. A. Vess; 1875, M. E. Osborn.
1870-1-24, Ed. Stein; 1874, James Knight; 1875, D. McCollum.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1870, David Wright and M. Osborn; 1871-3, D. M. Osborn and J. Brown; 1875, E. L. Peavey and G. W. Smith.
ON the loth day of May, 1859, Ozark township was established by the board of county supervisors, bounded as
follows: All that portion of the county lying south of township 21, being nine miles wide and twenty four miles
long. There is a high elevation of land running across the township, known as the Ozark ridge, which divides the
waters of the Arkansas and Missouri rivers. Cedar and South Pottowatomie creeks head in this township, and flow
toward the Missouri river, and Indian and Deer creeks rise in the same township, and flow toward the Arkansas river.
The lands of this township are principally high, undulating prairie, but it has some beautiful valley lands along
The first settlement was made in the township on Deer creek, by Giles Sater, in the fall of 1855. He brought two
slaves with him, and kept them until 1860. Thos. J. Day settled on Deer creek in the same year. He was one of the
first commissioners of Allen county. In 1857 he moved into Anderson county. Deer creek was thus named by Day, on
account of the great number of deer on that stream. He also gave Indian creek its name, because of finding a new
made Indian grave on its banks, the grave being marked by a stone with a buck carved upon it.
Among the settlers of 1856-7, on Deer creek, were Alexander Martin, Hiram Cable, David Martin, W. Stubblefield,
J. P. Pitsford, James Buford, H. P. Lawrence, Henry Sater, John Williams, Mrs. Dorothy Jones. Among those who settled
on Indian creek about the same time were: Mrs. Margaret Wiggins, John Stiginwalt, J. P. Whicher, William Denny
and A. P. Clark. On the Osage, in this township, were A. G. West, John Hall and Joseph C. Mills.
In 1859 Joseph Price, Thos. J. Day and James A. Dorsey associated themselves together as a town company, and located
and laid out Elizabethtown, on section 15, township 23, range 19. Soon thereafter a little store was opened there
by W. Stubblefield & Co. They procured a postoflice at that place in the same year.
The first election was held in the township June 7, 1859.
The territory originally included in Ozark township has been divided into Ozark, Rich and Indian Creek townships.
Among the settlers on Deer creek from 1859 to 1862 are John Jones, John McD. Martin, B. B. Rockwood, Joseph Price,
Dr. P. T. Mathews, S. L. Fullenwider, S. M. McCoon and G. W. Sands.
In 1870 the Leavenworth, Lawrence & Galveston railroad was completed to the south line of the county, and
a station was located near the north line of the township, called Welda; another station was located on section
6, township. 22, range 19, called Divide; at which there has since been a town laid out, and the name changed to
Colony. In the spring and summer of 1871 a colony was organized in Ohio and Indiana, under the leadership of some
energetic men, such as Col. Henry Wilson, of Sidney. Ohio, Col. N. Bostwick, of Mt. Vernon, Ohio, J. J. Fairbanks,
of Indianapolis, Ind., and J. G. Norton, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and, after examining the State of Kansas and Colorado
Territory, they selected the present site in this township, and in March, 1872, the colonists began to arrive,
and by the middle of May about one hundred persons had come. After their arrival the colonists elected Col. Henry
Wilson, president; J. J. Fairbanks, vice president; J. P. Ewing, secretary; and D. W. Ream, treasurer. The colonists
have improved some good farms in the vicinity of the town of Colony. The town now numbers about eighty five inhabitants,
has one hotel, one store, one blacksmith shop, wagon shop, a real estate office and postoflice. It is a healthful
and beautiful place, and has a class of good, energetic citizens. J. J. Fairbanks built the first dwelling house
in the town in the winter of 1872. Dr. J. M. Ford has a first class dry goods and grocery store in the town, and
does a good business, being. also a good physician.
18.59, G. W. Sands, chairman; John Pitchford and Henry Sater.
1860, G. W. Sands; 1861-2, John Volk; 1863-4-5-6-7, A. G. West; 1868, Joseph Price; 1869, B. B. Rockwood; 1870,
Joseph Price; 1871, William Denny; 1872-3, Joseph Price; 1874, J. H. Campbell; 1875, S. B. Gamble.
1859, H. P. Lawrence; 1868, Sylvester Durall; 1870, S. W. Boring; 1871, A. B. Wandall; 1872, E. W. Pomeroy;
1873, E. F. Ewing; 1874, Geo. Mathews;1875,F. C. Ewing.
1859, Hiram Cable.; 1868, P. T. Mathews 1869, T. A. Wetherman; 1870, Joseph Walker; 1871, S. W. Boring; 1872,
George West; 1873, Alfred Cook; 1874-.5, Thomas J. Day.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1859, John Williams; 1860, Joseph Price and J. D. Hosley; 1863, Joseph Price and F. R. Marsh; 1864, A. G. West,
to fill vacancy; 1865-6-7-8-9, A. G. West and Joseph Price; 1871, J. B. Rhodes and E. W. Pomeroy; 1873, J. B. Rhodes;
1875, J. B. Rhodes and J. J. Fairbanks.
RICH TOWNSHIP was formed by the county commissioners July 29, 187o, bounded as follows: Commencing at the northwest
corner of township 22, range 20;.running south nine miles, to the south line of the county; thence east ten miles,
to the southeast corner of the county; thence north nine miles; thence west ten miles, to the place of beginning;
containing ninety square miles. The surface of the township is generally undulating prairie; soil, fertile. There
is some good valley land along the streams. The township is furnished with abundance of stock water by the Osage
river, Sugar creek, Deer creek and their tributaries. There is but little timber, but an abundance of coal in the
township. These coat beds furnish fuel for the surrounding country. The people have adopted the herd law, and many
farms are cultivated without fences until hedges can be grown. The greater number of the settlers in the township
were soldiers during the rebellion; and have settled here since the war, on homestead land. It contains many good
farms and enterprising men.
The first settlement was on the Osage, in 1857, by A. G. West, John Hall, Joseph C. Mills, F. R. Marsh, J. D. Hosley,
E. D. Hosley, S. F. West, and C. G. Ellis. The following are some of those who settled in the township in later
years: Joseph Walker, Charles Reynolds, Morgan Ferguson, Alex. McNutt, R. C. Ploughe, D. C. Richner, S. Durall,
J. Q. Bowdell, David Barton, Samuel Miller, Vincent Sisson, J. A. Bell, S. D. Anderson, John H. Shawver, Robt.
Gray, Pha Tefft, Caleb Frazer and Adam Frazer.
The first election in the township was held at McNutt's school house, August 27, 1870.
1870, R. C. Ploughe; 1871, Sylvester Durall; 1872, James A. Bell; 1873, J. M. Shreves; 1874, J. B. Ferguson;
1875, J. R. McCoy.
1870-1-2, D. C. Richner; 1873-4, W. C. Routzong; 1875, J. B. Ferguson.
1870, Sylvester Durall; 1871, P. McNall; 1872, J. Q. Bowden; 1873, J. B. Ferguson; 1874, J. S. Hamilton; 1875,
B. F. Riber.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1870, J. Q. Bowdell and James Rasbough; 1871, Morgan Ferguson and John Hall; 1873-5, Samuel Miller and John
INDIAN CREEK TOWNSHIP
INDIAN CREEK TOWNSHIP was established by the board of county commissioners July. 10, 1873, and its boundaries
fixed as follows: Beginning at the southwest corner of the county; running thence east along the south line of
the county six miles, to the northeast corner of section 15, township 23, range 18; thence north nine miles, to
the north line of Ozark township, at the northeast corner of section 3, township 22, range 18; thence west along
the south line of Reeder township, to the west line of the county, at the northwest corner of section 2, township
22, range 17; thence south along the west line of the county, to the place of beginning; containing fifty four
The first election for township officers was at the general election in November, 1873.
The township is composed of high, undulating prairie land, of average soil. Cedar creek rises in this township
and flows northward. Indian creek runs across the township, furnishing plenty of stock water. Martin's creek rises
in the southeastern part of the township and flows southward. This township has but little timber. It lies near
the Neosho river, from which it gets most of its timber. The township includes some of the finest grazing country
in the county.
The first settlement in the township was made on Indian creek, in 1857, by Mrs. Margaret Wiggins and family. Soon
after her come, John Stiginwalt, F. P. Whicher, A. P. Clark, Thomas Stiginwalt, and William Denny
Since the war the following gentlemen have settled in the township: Squire Worrell, E. W. Pomeroy, G. O. Howard,
Allen W. Fox, C. C. Leach, Milton J. 'Boyd, Geo. W. McDaniel, M. N. Sinnott, A. L. Rogers, Richard Cave, Benj.
Sharp, D. Mortimer and C. W. Spencer.
1873-4-5, M. N. Sinnott.
1873. John A. House; 1874, A. Babcock; 1875. A. L. Rogers.
1873-4. Richard Cave; 1875, A. W. Fox.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1873. R. G. Ellsworth; 1874. Benjamin Sharp; 1875. C. C. Leach and C. W. Spencer.