Huron is located on the Omaha branch of the Missouri Pacific railway, in Lancaster township, seventeen miles
northwest of Atchison. The town site was originally the property of Col. D. R. Anthony, of Leavenworth. Mr. Anthony
donated the railroad company twenty acres of land and the right of way for one mile. The surveys were made and
the town named and platted on May 18, 1882. Within six weeks after completion of the surveys five dwellings were
erected and the business interests of the. town were well represented. W. D. Starr was the first postmaster, and
by the end of the first year there were over fifty dwellings in the town, and among the first buildings to be erected
were the Presbyterian and Baptist churches. Colonel Anthony donated lots upon which to build the churches. J. D.
Carpenter opened the first hotel in Huron. Mr. Carpenter came to Kansas in 1874 and located on a farm near Huron,
and when the town was organized he moved there and opened his hotel. W. G. Rucker was one of the early lumber dealers
of Huron. He came from Corning, where he was engaged in the general, merchandise business, and moved to Huron when
the town was platted. Capt. George W. Stabler, for many years a resident of Huron, was one of the prominent politicians
and characters of the county. He was born at Stablersville, Baltimore county, Maryland, in 1839, where his ancestors
had lived for over 200 years. He moved to Kansas in 1858. settling in Lancaster township. He enlisted as a private
in Company D, Second Kansas infantry, in 1861, for too days, and at the expiration of that time he re-enlisted
in the Second Kansas calvary; was made sergeant and was mustered out in 1865 and returned to his farm, subsequently
moving to Huron. In 1866 he was elected to the legislature, and in 1861 and 1872 served as deputy United States
marshal. He had been justice of the peace, at the time of his death, a few years ago, for over twenty years.
Old Huron was the original settlement near the present townsite of Huron, and was an important trading point for
many years prior to the establishment of the new townsite following the laying of the railroad to Omaha. There
were many early settlers of importance in and around Huron, among whom was Capt. Robert White. Captain White came
to Kansas in 1857 and bought the squatter rights of Charles Morgan and preempted a quarter section of land in Lancaster
township, near Huron.
The birth of the first white child in Atchison county, of which there is any record, occurred in Lancaster township.
The child was Miss Frances Miller, who was born May 9, 1855. Her father was the late Daniel Miller, an Ohioan by
birth, and lived near DeKalb, Mo., in 1841. In 1854 he looked over northeastern Kansas and settled on Independence
creek, twelve miles north of Atchison, early in 1855, near the northeastern corner of Lancaster township. Mr. Miller
sold his quarter section in 1858, after he had proven up on it, to Thomas Butcher, a new arrival in Kansas from
Brownville, Pa., for $3,000. Mr. Butcher built a flouring mill on this land, which was run by water from Independence
creek. Butcher subsequently sold the plant to A. J. Evans, who ran it as a "custom mill" until August,
1865, when it was destroyed by high water, caused by heavy rains.
Samuel Wymore, for whom Wymore, Nebraska was named, was a resident of Lancaster township, near Huron, in the fifties
and early sixties, and ran a sawmill by horse power, about three miles north of Lancaster, in 1858. Mr. Wymore
sold his first bill of lumber to Captain Robert White for $100 in gold, and at that time it was more money than
Wymore had ever seen at one time, and he was so nervous during the following night that he could not sleep and
continually stirred the fire in the stove so that he could count the money from the light that it made. Wymore
was uneducated. He could neither read nor write, and he was said to have been worth over $150,000 before 1875.
Isaac E. Kelly, a young man from Pennsylvania, taught one of the first schools in Lancaster township, in one
of the settlers' preemption cabin, near Eden postoflice in 186o. He went to war in 1861 and marched with Sherman
to the Sea.
The first mowing machine in Atchison county was brought to Lancaster township, two miles west of where Huron now
is, by Joel Hiatt, in 1859, who sold it to Capt. Robert White, who cut hay with it several seasons. The machine
was a Ball, and a crude affair. The first reaper to harvest grain in the county was owned by the late M. J. Cloyes,
who also lived in Lancaster township, not many miles from Huron. Mr. Cloyes bought the reaper in the early sixties.
The grain was raked off by a man lashed to a post on a platform four or five feet to the rear of the cycle. This
reaper was a Buckeye machine, and was sold by J. E. Wagner, the hardware merchant of Atchison.
The forty acre tract of land upon which the home of Edward Perdue stands, a few miles east of Huron, was traded
for a mowing machine by the owner in 1865.
Bethel church, located southwest of Huron, is supposed to be the oldest church in the county, outside of Atchison.
It was built by the Methodist Episcopal church (South), about 1870, and is still in use in 1915.
Thus it will be seen that Huron is located in the midst of a very interesting part of Atchison county, and while
the town did not reach the proportions that its original promoters had hoped for it, it is one of the good towns
of the county. The following are the business houses in Huron in 1915:
J. M. Delany - General merchandise.
E. P. Perry - General merchandise.
W. E. English - Hardware, implements and furniture.
H. P. Harrison - Grocer.
Dr. Wiley Jones - Drug store.
John L. Snavly - Restaurant and postmaster.
Mrs. Alta Wilson - Hotel.
C. E. Mathew - Lumber.
Loren Horton - Meat market.
A. F. Allen - Grain, coal, live stock and automobile supplies.
Baker-Corwell - Grain company.
A. Morehead - Barber.
W. Hildman - Blacksmith.
Riley & Son - Livery barn.
Over 200,000 bushels of grain are shipped from Huron annually and the average shipment of live stock amounts to
about forty cars.