Lancaster is one of the oldest towns in the county. In the issue of October 16, 1858, of Freedom's Champion,
the following advertisement with reference to Lancaster appears:
"Lancaster City is the name of a new town just springing into existence. It is located 10 miles direct
west of our city (Atchison) Atchison county, K. T., on the east half of Section 32, Township 5, Range 19, the great
military road to Fts. Kearney, Laramie, Bridge, and to Santa Fe, Utah, Washington Territory, Gadson Purchase, California,
New Mexico, etc., passes through the town site. Also roads leading from Nebraska City, St. Joseph, Doniphan, and
to Grasshopper Falls, Topeka, Lecompton and Lawrence.
"A more beautiful situation for a large and prosperous city could not be found in the Territory, or the Great
West. Its site is rolling and dry, climate healthy and salubrious as heart could wish for. The surrounding country
cannot be surpassed for its magnificent undulating prairies, being one of the most fertile agricultural regions
in the whole country.
"Excellent coal, building stone and timber, within two, and two and a half miles. This town has been under
way but little over two months, and notwithstanding the hard times, quite a number of buildings are already erected,
among which will be found a large and commodious hotel, a good store, blacksmith and carpenter shops, post office,
etc., etc. Arrangements are made for the erection of several more dwelling houses, also for the erection during
this month, of a Union church, (the first in the county) and with liberty heretofore unequalled in Kansas, Mr.
J. W. Smith, the President of the Company, authorizes us to say that he will give good lots gratis to mechanics,
laborers, and others, who will apply for them soon, or who will erect improvements on them in six months, worth
$200 or more. This, we think, a good chance for men who want a comfortable home in the best section if our country.
The company now offer to sell lots or shares at reasonable rates, and are prepared to make warrantee deeds for
the same, having purchased the site and obtained the title for the same of the Government of the United States
on the 26th day of June, 1858. Persons wishing to live in an interior town, will do well to visit Lancaster before
While this little town did not prove to be all that its promoters expected of it, it continued as a good trading
point for many years, and in 1916 remains one of the prosperous communities of the county. In addition to the One
bank which it supports, reference to which has already been made, Lancaster, in 1913, has seven stores, a two room
public school, three churches, one elevator, one lumber yard, a good hotel and a garage. In 1915 its enterprising
citizens built an electric high tensioned line connecting with the Effingham line out of Atchison, to supply the
town with electric lights, and its citizens are now enjoying all the benefits of electricity.
About 80,000 bushels of grain, and an average of seventy five cars of - live stock are shipped out of Lancaster
annually. Its merchants are enterprising and prosperous, and many comfortable and commodious homes have been built
in this little town. It is located in one of the finest agricultural sections of the county, and the surrounding
country is in a state of high cultivation, and peopled by prosperous and thrifty farmers.