By M. Guinty.
Fairmount township was organized January 6, 1873. The first election was held in April following. The first
township officers elected were: M. Guinty, trustee: A. J. Nation, treasurer; I. J. Davis, clerk; J. Cutler and
F, S. Wallace, justices of the peace; D. M. Daffron and G. A. Watson, constables.
In 1870, H. D. Olinger and family, J. C. Olinger, George M. Daffron and James W. Ferguson came from LeClare county,
Minnesota, and located in whit is now Fairmount township. John W. Williams came in May, 1871, and Asa White in
the fall of 1870, but later moved to Story county, Iowa. Mace Nickeson, John Fullerton and Samuel Fullerton moved
from Illinois in the fall of 1870. Albert Worline, Marion Worline, Jerome Worline Monroe Worline, John Burns and
Alexander Kennedy came from Pleasant Hill, Cass county, Missouri, in May, 1871. Evan Jones and Dick Jones came
in May 1871 also. J. K. Nellans came from Rochester, Fulton county, Indiana, March 22, 1876. In 1878 he bought
and settled on the northwest quarter of section 3, which he made his home until February 27, 1916, when he met
death by being run down by a Rock Island passenger train at Elbing, Kan. Peter Dyck, Abraham Regier, J. W. Regier
and Bernhardt Regier came from Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in 1885. These people were the nucleus of the Mennonite German
settlement which has extended at this time to almost one third of the present township. They are among our best
citizens and have some of the finest farms and best improvements there are in the county. They are good citizens,
thrifty, honest and hard working men and women and attend to their own business strictly, apparently enjoying life
to its fullest extent.
In May, 1871, the following families came from Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa: I. J. Davis, John A. Baskins, A.
Davenport, M. Gunty, William Robinson and Henry Robinson. Singleton Shepherd came from Missouri in 1870 and resided
here until 1890, when he left and moved to Chautauqua county, Kansas. Mathew Stipe came from Indiana in October,
1873, and is still residing in the township. A. J. Nation came in March, 1871, and died on the home place in March,
1905. J. J. Lyon and James Clark came from Missouri in 1871. J. B. Spangler came from Pleasant Hill, Mo., and settled
on the south half of the northeast quarter of section 14. He is one of the few that still owns and resides on the
land which he homesteaded. Alexander Hewitt came from Keokuk, Iowa, with his family in May, 1871, and still owns
and resides on his original homestead. Milton Embry came from Missouri in 1872. A. G. Moore, J. P. Moore, Aaron
Branson and A. Brubaker and families came from Iowa in 1871. Hiram Brown located in the township in 1871. In addition
to those above named, quite a number of others settled in the township in early days and have since moved away
and their whereabouts are unknown.
Fairmount township did not have as many homestead settlers as some of the other townships in the county for the
reason that the odd numbered sections in the township were the property of the Sante Fe Railroad Company, having
been donated to it by the government to assist it in constructing the railroad, and these sections were not subject
to homestead entry, and hence there was not as many homesteaders in our township as in other townships. The township
has seven miles of railroad, being a branch of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Company. The town
of Elbing is an enterprising little place, consisting of a bank, of which Herman Jackson is president, and D. C.
Crosby is cashier; two general stores, a hardware and implement store, lumber yard, together with a postoffice,
blacksmith shop and other lines of business and all seem prosperous. More live stock is shipped from this point
than any other point within 100 miles of it on the Rock Island railroad. For a number of years, the citizens of
this town were compelled to go to Peabody in Marion county to get their mail. that being the nearest postoffice.