The records of the county commissioners fail to show date of organization of this township, but from other sources
it is known that it was formed out of a portion of El Dorado township in 187. An election was held in said township,
April 8, 187, and the following officers elected: R. Huston, trustee; S. Woodman, clerk; H. Wagner, treasurer;
H. C. Stevens, justice of the peace; D. R. Blankenship, constable; and William Baily, road overseer.
Rosalia township took its name from that of the first postoffice established in that portion of the county. H.
C. Stevens and his uncle, J. M. Stevens, came out from Mendota, Illinois, filed on homesteads and improved them.
The postoffice was located at his house and in casting about for a name for it the happy thought of honoring his
wife occurred to him and he called it Rosalia.
The first settlers came in 1868 but they did not stay. Those who did establish a local habitation are: 1869 - D.
R. Blankenship, Phil Korn, Robert Huston, Sam Woodward, J. G. Cook, James B. Correll and George Auten; 1870 - A.
P. Foster, S. H. Foster, Hiram Benedict, Gus Raymond, Mr. Tuttle, Dick Wiley, Samuel Davidson (who built the first
house on the high prairie between Eureka and El Dorado), William Woods, J. T. McClure, L. W. Decker, Nelson Surpluss,
James and J. P. Huntley, Elias Leh, Fred Miller, G. W. Chamberlain, Charles Butler, the Shermans and N. B. Snyder;
1871 - George McDaniels, Robert Martin and Doc Reynolds.
Walter Clark came in seventy two and still lives in the old township, jolly as ever. The same year came M. M. Piper
and his sons, Charles, Allen, Will, Dan and Val. George Songer and his family came about that time. The privations
of some of these people sound like romance. Nelson Surpluss, having no conveyance, in 1871 carried a sack of flour
home from El Dorado, at least thirteen miles and was glad to get it that way. The biscuits tasted mighty good,
so he says. His daughter, Miss Mary, the first white girl born in Rosalia, was one of the county's foremost teachers.
Forman Cook is the first boy born in the township.
D. R. Blankenship drove his stake on his present form on the north branch of the Little Walunt in November, sixty
nine. Himself, wife and baby began the battle in December following. Their worldly possessions were two horses,
a wagon and $50. One of the horses died, which was a serious loss. Preacher Small sold him some of Charley Noe's
corn at seventy five cents a bushel, and Elias Bishop of Chelsea let him have some at the same figure. Edward Jeakins,
below El Dorado, parted with two bushels of potatoes at $4.50. J. G. Cook helped him and soon poles were ready
for the log cabin which G. W. Miller and Robert Huston helped him to build. He rived the "shakes" from
an oak tree and roofed the cabin himself; then chincked it and moved in on a dirt floor and built a fire in the
stone fire place. Even the hinges of the door were his own make. He tells this whopper: In February, seventy, he
sowed wheat and oats on prairie sod which he turned over and harrowed. His crop was twelve bushels of wheat and
thirty of oats to the acre. This was the first sod broken in the township and who can doubt that Providence favored
the poor and humble homesteaders and their families.
The town of Rosalia was platted in September, 1883, by G. W. Chamberlain and F. G. Miller. It is now a thriving
little village on the Missouri Pacific railroad, having two general stores; C. A. Blankenship and S. R. Anderson;
B. F. Branson, hardware; the Rock Island Lumber Company; a State Bank, J. H. Liggett, cashier, and other business
firms and all prosperous. The township has about twelve miles of railroad within its borders which assists in keeping
up the school and other taxes. There have been but two county officers from Rosalia township: S. F. Packard, county
commissioner and W. A. Liggett, county assessor.