This township is in the extreme southeast corner of the county. It is six miles north and south and ten miles
east and west, extending into Flint Hills, and contains some of the finest pasture land in the world, as well as
some of the best farming lands. Its soil is adapted to and produces abundantly crops of all kinds, including alfalfa
and other tame grasses, as well as an abundant supply of the wild or prairie grass.
The records of the county fail to show the date or organization of Union township. They do show, however, that
the citizens of Union township voted at the general election held in November, 1871, and that the following township
officers were elected at the election held in April, 1872: George Sherar, trustee; J. A. McGinnis, treasurer; H.
M: Lemon, clerk; Benjamin ____, justice of the peace; George Messick, constable. Among the earliest settlers of
the township, in addition to the above, were J. S. McKee, Alvin Proisen, William and D. L. Sherar, T. F. Ferguson,
William Van Meter, Milo Nance and many others.
The township is noted for its live stock and hay industries. Many cattle are pastured, fed and marketed from this
place with an immense amount of prairie hay shipped out each year. Latham is a vigorous little town laid out in
1885. It is on a branch of the Frisco railway. There is about ten miles of the railway in the township. Atlanta
is a small station in the southern part of the county. 'Latham has a population of 35o with practically all line
of business represented: Bank, J. P. Garnett, president, and Ed Rankin, cashier; grocery, L. R. Masters & Co.;
lumber, E. A. Riley; hotel, James Gibson; garage, livery, creamery, churches, schools, newspaper, "The Mirror,"
by H. W. Hendrick, and all other lines necessary to make a good, pleasant place in which to live or engage in business.