The Lysle Milling Company, of Leavenworth, Kansas, is one of the leading commercial institutions, not only of
Leavenworth County but of the state. From a small beginning it has gone on in its development until the Lysle Milling
Company is recognized as one of the leading manufacturers of high grade flour in the entire country. This business
was founded in 1872 by James C. Lysle and James Dilworth who were also at that time engaged in the manufacture
of furniture. This partnership arrangement continued until 1880 when John Kelley bought Dillworth's interest, and
in 1889 Mr. Lysle bought Mr. Kelley's interest, becoming the sole owner and proprietor. In 1909, the name of the
company was changed to The J. C. Lysle Milling Company.
In 1889 the original mill was destroyed by fire and at that time a mill with a capacity of 500 barrels per day
was built, which was considered a large mill at that time, the old mill having had a 250 barrel daily capacity.
The capacity of the mill has been gradually increased from time to time and at present the mill is capable of manufacturing
1,800 barrels of flour per day, and the mill and elevators have a storage capacity of 350,000 bushels of wheat.
In addition to their Leavenworth plant, the Lysle Milling Company erected a large modern flouring mill at North
Kansas City in 1920. This is a concrete structure equipped with the most modern milling machinery and has a capacity
of 3,000 barrels daily, and is one of the important manufacturing institutions of North Kansas City, Missouri.
The Lysle Milling Company has always been conducted on progressive lines. This mill introduced Kansas hard wheat
flour on the European markets and began to export flour in 1890. However, flour from the mills of Minnesota had
been exported prior to that time.
The company gives employment to over one hundred people, twenty five of whom are connected with the offices and
sales department. The Lysle Milling Company has long since been recognized as one of the important factors in the
making of industrial Leavenworth and stands as a monument to its principal founder, James C. Lysle.