From the very inception of the city of Leavenworth as a city, the newspaper industry has been one of the leading
industries. Even before there was a house in the city to shield the presses from the elements, a paper was being
published. An account of the publication of this first paper in the city, "The Kansas Herald," will be
found elsewhere in this volume in more complete detail. The first publication was under the management of Adams
and Osborne and the paper was printed under the shade of a large elm tree that stood near the foot of Cherokee
Street and Levee or Water Street. The date of this publication was September 15, 1856. This paper eventually passed
into the hands of R. C. Satterlee and several others. When Satterlee was shot and killed by Col. 11 R. Anthony,
the paper suspended publication. It was later merged with "The Inquirer," a publication of this city
in those days but was totally destroyed by a mob in October, 1861.
The next early day newspaper to begin publication in the city was published under the name of the "Territorial
Register." It was strongly Free State and came quite early into disrepute in the eyes of the pro slavery element
of the city and territory. It was owned and published by a partnership known as Severe & Delahay. After a few
months of existence the office was raided by Kickapoo Rangers and the presses and type were thrown in the Missouri
Another early day paper was published under the name of "The Journal." Col. S. S. Goode was the first
editor of this publication. It was an evening paper and owing to the bitterness displayed toward its publication
by the "Herald" interests, it was forced to quit publication within a short time.
A paper named "Young America" was published for a short time by George W. McLane. It had a tendency to
be Free State and consequently met with considerable resistance at the time of its publication. McLane was registered
on the attorney roll of the city of Leavenworth but there is no record of his ever practicing law here. He was
the auctioneer at the sale of the first town lots sold in the city of Leavenworth, October 9, 1854. McLane left
the city during the middle 60s and never afterward returned. His paper, "Young America," was published
but a short time and was finally merged with the "Daily Ledger."
The "Daily Ledger" was the first daily paper to begin publication in the city of Leavenworth, in fact
it was the first daily paper published west of the Mississippi River at the time of its beginning publication,
September 1, 1857. Conditions at that time were not favorable to the publication of a daily paper and the "Ledger"
was forced to suspend publication in 1859.
"The Weekly Times," one of the foremost of the early day publications, began publication in the summer
of 1857. The first editor of this paper was Judge Robert Crozier, who for years held the position of judge of the
District Court here. The "Times" was at first owned by a stock company. Eventually this paper began a
daily publication, the first daily being issued February 15, 1858. The ownership finally passed into the hands
of the late Col. D. R. Anthony, who published it until his death, when it passed into the hands of D. R. Anthony,
Jr., his son, the present owner. For years this paper has ranked among the foremost of its kind, occupying one
of the strongest positions in the newspaper business in the Middle West. The paper since it came in the hands of
the Anthonys has always been strongly Republican in policy and politics.
A paper named the "Kansas Zeitung" was started in the city of Leavenworth during the year 1858 by Dr.
Kopph. This was the first German paper to be published in this city. In 1869 another German paper was published
by Major Haberlein under the name of the "Frie Presses." This paper was published by Major Haberlein
for a number of years until his death, when the publication of it was taken up by his son.
"The Conservative," one of the foremost of early day Leavenworth papers, was started by D. W. Wilder,
who was also editor of the publication. Wilder continued the publication of the "Conservative" for some
time, eventually selling out his interests to Col. D. R. Anthony. About this time Anthony also bought out a stock
company's interests in the publication known as the "Evening Bulletin," a Republican organ as well as
"The Conservative." Another publication known as the "Leavenworth Commercial," which was published
about this time by Prescott and Hume, also passed into the hands of Col. Anthony. A paper that had been published
for a short time by J. C. Clark & Co., known as the "Evening Call," suspended publication when the
owners became interested in the publication of the "Leavenworth Commercial," which as aforementioned
later passed into the hands of Col. D. R. Anthony.
Another early day paper that lived but a short time was published by Emory & Co. and was known as the "Daily
Among other papers that began publication in this city and met with indifferent success were the "Home
Record," "The Daily Public Press," "The Evening Commercial," "The Kansas Farmer,"
"The Cosmopolitan," "The Evening Ledger," "The Daily Standard," "The Daily Evening
Press," "The Chronicle," "The Labor Review," "The Kansas Churchman," "The
Advertiser," "Western Life," "Leavenworth Post" and "Leavenworth Times."
The "Home Record" was a small publication published in the city here for a number of years in the interest
of the "Home of the Friendless." It was a monthly journal and has long since suspended publication.
"The Daily Public Press" was a daily publication under the managership of F. J. Wendell and under the
editorship of Dr. H. B. Horn. It was published but a short time when it suspended publication.
H. Miles Moore, one of the pioneer citizens of the city Leavenworth, was the editor of a publication for a short
time known as the "Evening Commercial." The publication was Democratic in politics and was forced after
a short time to suspend publication due to the lack of financial success.
On October 17, 1877, Frank Hall and J. W. Remington began the publication of an evening paper known as the "Evening
Ledger," Being Democratic in politics it soon went the route of all early day Democratic papers.
The "Kansas Farmer" was published here but a short time. It was under the editorship of George T. Anthony,
who afterward was elected governor of the State of Kansas.
One of the strongest adventures in the way of a Democratic newspaper in the city of Leavenworth was began here
in 1870, when a publication known as the "Daily Standard" was begun. This publication was under the managership
of Frank T. Lynch and the editorship of ex-Senator Ross. It was owned by a syndicate of leading Democrats of this
city. After fighting the fight of a Democratic paper against heavy odds for about twelve years it was finally consolidated
with the "Daily Evening Press" and was issued as a morning paper. After this consolidation Lynch became
part owner and editor. Upon his death the paper was gotten control of by Col. Anthony, who published it for a time
as an evening paper. Not succeeding in this, the publication was suspended.
"The Chronicle" was another Leavenworth paper owned and controlled by a syndicate of Leavenworth men.
It was under the editorship of R. M. Ruggles and quickly became one of the leading publications of this city. The
majority of the stock in the concern, however, eventually found its way into Col. Anthony's hands and when the
publication became involved to some extent, publication was suspended.
"The German Tribune" was a weekly publication for years published in this city. It was originally owned
and published by Capt. Metcham and enjoyed a very successful business under the captain and Sig Kuraner, into whose
hands it eventually passed. Publication was suspended several years ago.
In 1902 George Davis started a publication known as the "Labor Review." For a number of years it was
under the editorship of J. F. O'Conner. It was and still is devoted exclusively to the cause of labor.
"The Advertiser" was another newspaper adventure entered into by Capt. Metcham, the first editor of the
"German Tribune." Shortly after its publication began it was purchased by Fred Jameson, who changed its
name to the "Western Life." Under the editorship of Jameson the "Western Life" grew rapidly
in favor with the people of this city and county. The outgrowth of this publication was the "Leavenworth Post,"
a publication originally owned and controlled by Fred Jameson and Albert T. Reid. The "Leavenworth Post,"
Leavenworth's evening paper at this time, is owned and controlled by a stock company. Wallace F. Hovey is at the
present time editor and manager of the publication. It enjoys a large circulation and stands well in rank with
other evening papers in the state.
"The Leavenworth Times," Leavenworth morning paper of today, ranks among the leading morning papers of
the state. It is owned and controlled by Congressman D. R. Anthony, Jr., and is one of the oldest and most stable
of local publications. It enjoys a very large circulation and in politics has always been found to be one hundred
per cent Republican. James M. Mickey has for a number of years past been associated with the publication of "The
Times" in the capacity of associate editor, while W. I. Biddle has acted as city editor of the publication.
A paper that should have been classified with the early day publications of Leavenworth County, that while it was
only published for a short length of time contributed materially to the keeping of all things pertaining to the
slavery question in an uproar, was the "Kansas Pioneer."
The "Pioneer" was published at Kickapoo, Kansas, one of the bitterest rivals of the city of Leavenworth
as well as Fort Leavenworth. The first edition of the paper came out during the month of November, 1854. A. B.
Hazzard was for a while the sole owner, manager and editor of the publication, which was radically pro slavery.
For a while a party named Sexton associated himself with Sexton in the publication of the "Pioneer."
When it became evident to the editors that the fight of Kickapoo for the county seat of Leavenworth was hopelessly
lost and that Kickapoo City was destined to a certain death, the publication of the "Pioneer" was abandoned.
Among other papers now published in the county of Leavenworth is the "Easton Transcript" and the "Tonganoxie
Mirror." Both are weeklies and enjoy a large circulation as well as remunerative patronage in the way of advertising.
The "Easton Transcript" is published in the city of Easton, in Easton Township, Leavenworth County, Kansas.
At the present time Robert Stafford is the owner and editor. The "Transcript" is practically the outgrowth
of an early day Easton publication known as the "Light of Liberty" and later as the "Easton Bight."
The first publication of the "Light" was dated July 26, 1895, and the original owners and editors were
M. L. and K. Lockwood.