The Victor Manufacturing Company is one of Leavenworth's important industries, and is located at Pennsylvania
and Lawrence avenues. It was orgaized by F. J. Tallant and E. V. Allen, and began business in Hiawatha, Kansas,
in 1905, in a very modest way, but soon realizing the need of better shipping facilities the business was moved
to Leavenworth in the fall of 1906 and the present plant, including nearly two acres of ground, was purchased.
It has since been improved in many way and the addition of much labor saving machinery thus increasing production
greatly, making it one of the leading businesses in the industry.
The principle business is the manufacture of the wonderful Wonder Washer, a machine of great effectiveness, yet
of simple mechanisms. It is adapted for use by hand, or water power, also gas or gasoline and electricity, and
readily produces clean clothes in one third of the time required by its nearest competitors. Its process combines
the special features of suction; stirring; squeezing and a slight rubbing. In other makes of washing machines only
one of these processes can be used but the Wonder Washer uses all at the same time.
The product of The Victor Manufacturing Company is shipped to all parts of the United States and to many foreign
countries indicating the importance and popularity of this machine. The machines are sold to dealers through salesmen
and they have employed as many as eighteen salesmen on the road at one time. The name of Leavenworth is thus carried
into all points of the compass by a wide distribution.
The present company was incorporated under the laws of Kansas in 1908 and again in 1917 when the capital was increased
to $100,000.00. Mr. F. J. Tallant is president. Mr. John M. Topper is secretary and treasurer. The directors are
principally members of these two families and the stock is principally owned by them. The business has developed
gradually but constantly from the earnings of the business until it has reached its present stage. The buildings
of the company are brick, four stories in height and are surrounded by spacious lawns.
Mr. F. J. Tallant takes a great interest in all the welfare of the city, was for a number of years president of
the Leavenworth Y. M. C. A. and is still a director of that organization, and is ever ready to devote his time
and money to the advancement of this institution. He is married and has besides his wife one daughter Ruth, a student
in the Leavenworth High School. He resides at 1105 South Broadway.
Mr. John M. Topper also takes a great interest in local affairs, being a live member of the Rotary Club. He is
married, having a wife and three children. Mr. Topper also takes an active part in the Abdallah Shrine. He resides
at 1328 South Broadway.