Admire, twenty miles northeast of Emporia, on the allweather highway No. 11, completed in 1929, was established
as a station by the Missouri Pacific Railway in 1886. A post office, Waterloo, seven and one half miles southeast
of the present town, had provided mail facilities for the neighborhood since an early day. Major Hicks, a veteran
of the Mexican War, was the first postmaster of Waterloo. Later, this post office was discontinued, and the Ivy
post office was established, two and one half miles southeast of Admire. Ivy was discontinued when the post office
at Admire was established.
When the proposition for a bond issue for the building of the Missouri Pacific Railway was agitated in Waterloo
Township, the west half of the township opposed the bonds, and pulled wires successfully to secure a division of
the township. The new township was named Ivy, giving Lyon County eleven townships where had been but ten. Three
Osage City men, Jacob Admire, W. E. McElfresh and J. D. Hall, worked in the interests of the railway company to
secure the bond issue, and afterward these men were incorporated as a Town Company, were given the privilege of
buying land for a station and town site, and naming the town. The site selected, oddly enough, is in Ivy Township,
which had opposed the railroad. The town was named in honor of one of the members of the Town Company.
The quarter section on which Admire stands was purchased from B. H. G. Wilbur, and later an 80 acre tract to the
west was added, 240 acres in all. This eighty never has been platted, and only a few scattering lots have been
sold. In 1894, Fremont Miller and Herbert Miller bought all of the remaining stock from the Railroad Company. Admire
was incorporated as a city of the third class July 6, 1896. Its first mayor was George W. McDaniel, then, as now,
in the mercantile business in the town. The present mayor is Herbert Miller. Mr. Miller also is president of the
Admire State Bank, which office he has held since November 1, 1894. Fremont Miller, his brother, long a resident
of Emporia, now lives in California. Mrs. Will Wayman, of Emporia, is a sister of the Millers.
Admire has an excellent new rural high and grade school building, which was erected at a cost of $65,000.00 following
the destruction by fire of the first school building, a frame, 1925. The Rev. J. R. Eubanks is pastor of the one
church in the town, and there is an interested Sunday School. The population is about 270. The business and residence
buildings are neat and substantial, and the town presents a pleasing appearance.