History of Olpe, Kansas
From: History of Emporia and Lyon County Kansas
By: Laura M. French
Emporia Gazette Print
Emporia, Kansas 1929

OLPE

Olpe, eleven miles south of Emporia on the Howard Branch, was established in 1879 when the Santa Fe built this line. Bitlertown, a few rods southwest of the Olpe town site, south of the tracks, founded by Daniel Bitler in 1877, made a fight to retain its name. The new founder, a man named Flusche, wishing to please his German neighbors, named the new town for his home city, Olpe, in Germany, and the Santa Fe decided in his favor. Eagle Creek, established probably in the sixties, was a star route post office kept by Mr. and Mrs. F. G. Soule, a mile west of the present town. A stage barn was located on the Soule farm, and horses were changed there on the trip to Eureka. Olpe is a neat and thrifty place, one of the best kept towns in Lyon County, and has a larger proportion of home owners than any other Lyon County town. Its most imposing building is the large and handsome Catholic Church - St. Joseph's - and the Catholic parochial school is housed in a substantial building. There is a good public school building and a Methodist and a Lutheran Church.


Return to [ Kansas History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Kansas Counties at this web site - Anderson - Atchison - Butler - Leavenworth - Lyon - Sedgwick - Shawnee

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy