WOMEN'S CITY CLUB
The Women's City Club of Emporia, with a membership of 1250 women listed in its Year Book for 1929-1930, has
demonstrated more conclusively than any other one group or organization of this town, that so large an assemblage
can work together harmoniously and effectively, without duplication, without dissension, as a collective body or
in small gatherings, when actuated by the spirit of unselfish cooperation which makes possible the activities and
the continued growth of this club.
According to the announcements of the Year Book, general meetings are held, as usual, the fourth Tuesday afternoon
of each month, and departmental meetings on Mondays, all at the Broadview Hotel, from September until May. Entertaining
programs and exhibits are offered by the departments of Art, American Home, and Citizenship. A regular line of
study is carried on by the Bible department, which meets the second and fourth Friday afternoons of each month.
A new feature of the club this year is Extension Class Day. It provides a study section for the entire club and
is open to all members. Beginning at 10 o'clock in the morning, there are almost continuous one hour classes, and
the member may take her choice or attend as many as she wishes. Music Appreciation, Legislation and International
Relations, Child Health and Welfare, Sociology and Applied Psychology, Book Reviews and Literature, Current Topics
Forum, Drama, and Travel and History, are featured.
The City Club sponsored, during 1928-1929, its art collection, community programs, maternity loan fund, high school
loan fund, milk project, garment making for needy children, purchase of playground equipment, Christmas seal sale,
better homes exposition, distribution of magazines, dental clinic, legislative activities, Americanization work,
the city beautiful, and many social activities. More than one hundred meetings were held by its various departments
in 1928-1929. Five hundred dollars' worth of milk was provided for under nourished school children the second term
of the city schools, February to June, 1929.
The City Club was organized in 1918. Mrs. J. H. Wiggam was its first president. Following her were Mrs. H. G. Lull,
Miss Laura French, Mrs. W. A. White, Mrs. R. L. Hershberger, Mrs. J. W. Mayberry, Mrs. E. A. Mitchell and Mrs.
The Federation Magazine, authorized organ of the Kansas State Federation of Women's Clubs, is edited, printed and
published in Emporia. It reaches every one of the 13,000 to 14,000 federated club women of Kansas, keeping them
informed of club work over the entire state. Seven of the study clubs of Emporia are federated and one of the clubs
of the Rural Association - Rinker Community Club - is a member of the State and District Federations.
COUNTY ASSOCIATION OF CLUBS
Eighteen individual clubs make up the Lyon County Association of Rural Clubs, with a membership of four hundred
thirty. Many of these individual clubs hold a part, or all, if they wish, of their meetings in the Welfare Association
Club rooms, and all of the meetings of the directors of the rural clubs are held there. These women have purchased
a piano for this room, and extra chairs for seating it. Besides these clubs of the Rural Association are as many
others, or more, in Lyon County which are not affiliated with the association, chiefly because of the distance
from the place of meeting. A committee from the Rural Association the autumn of 1929 made a survey of these unaffiliated
clubs, with a view to securing their membership and arranging for meetings in different parts of the county, which
might make for the convenience of clubs at a considerable distance from Emporia.
Officers of the Rural Association, elected in 1929 are Mrs. Walter Ulm, president; Mrs. Homer Wamser, vice president;
Miss Alice Watts, secretary; Mrs. William James, treasurer. Representatives from each club meet at the Welfare
Club rooms once in two months for a directors' meeting. The 1929 representatives to the meetings of the Board of
Directors are Mrs. William Brough, Grandview; Mrs. J. W. Newman, Lakeside Homemakers; Mrs. Edna Nicklin, Central
Community; Mrs. Harry Phillips, Badger Creek Sewing Club; Mrs. W. P. Stanley, Swastika; Mrs. Charles Skinner, Rinker
Community; Mrs. Martha Mackey, East Sixth Avenue; Mrs. John Butler, Ruggles; Mrs. Ray Hess, Sunshine; Mrs. B. F.
Timmerman, Logan Avenue; Mrs. Ira Jones, Sardis; Mrs. S. S. Jenkins, Rosean; Miss Alice Watts, Salem; Mrs. Ed Sielert,
Plymouth; Mrs. Charles Yost, Happy Hour; Mrs. J. W. Jenkins, Lyndon Valley; Mrs. John Gilbert, Zion Community;
Mrs. Charles Loomis, Lang.
Seven clubs of the Association meet once each month, the others twice a month. The presidents of the clubs for
1929 are: Mrs. Ray Cooley, Grandview; Mrs. Tom Price, Lakeside Homemakers; Mrs. Earl DeLong, Central Community;
Mrs. T. H. Rush, Badger Creek; Mrs. A. B. Whipple, Swastika; Mrs. Earl Hollingsworth, Rinker Community; Mrs. T.
E. Maddern, East Sixth Avenue; Mrs. John Butler, Ruggles; Mrs. Floyd Curry, Sunshine; Mrs. Susie Higbee, Plymouth;
Mrs. W. R. Rowhuff, Happy Hour; Mrs. George Witteman, Lyndon Valley; Mrs. E. L. Dreasher, Zion Community; Mrs.
Harry Phillips, Lang; Mrs. Loren Morgan, Logan Avenue; Mrs. W. H. Thomas, Sardis; Mrs. C. G. Carr, Rosean; Mrs.
J. Calvin Rees, Salem.
The rural club women have done much for the betterment of conditions in their neighborhoods. They got the first
results in the protest against the lack of modern facilities in the old buildings at the County Farm, and installed
electricity for the weak and trembling old people whose only home is this farm, and in whose hands the kerosene
lamps were a positive menace. Now, handsome modern buildings house the dwellers at the County Farm.
The rural club women are the social leaders in their communities, and the remarkable progress of these neighborhoods
is due in large part to their efforts. They look after the unfortunate, they care for the sick, they teach in the
Sunday Schools and many of them are Sunday School superintendents. Whatever need arises, the club women are expected
to meet it, they do meet it, and carry it to a successful conclusion. The Rural Clubs Association holds three big
meetings each year - a Thanksgiving party, in which their entire families participate, a midsummer picnic and a
luncheon in February. These serve to bring about a general acquaintance.
Mrs. Carl Knouse, a member of the Rinker Community Club, was chosen as the outstanding rural club woman in Kansas,
in the contest conducted by the Capper publications, the summer of 1929. She was a guest of the Jayhawker tour
of the Northwest for two weeks, with all expenses paid. Mrs. Knouse is president of the Farm Bureau Unit in her
neighborhood, and a leader in the County Association of Clubs. Mrs. Thomas Marks, also of the Rinker Club, was
chosen by the Capper publications as one of the master farm home makers of Kansas, early in 1929.