History of Dover Township, Kansas
From: History of Shawnee County, Kansas
and Representative Citizens.
Edited by James L. King, Topeka, Kansas
Richmond & Arnold Publishers
DOVER TOWNSHIP - Established in 1867, located immediately north of Auburn township, on the Wabaunsee
County line, and extending north to the Kansas River. The first actual settlers were Alfred and John Sage, who
opened farms within the boundaries of the township July 18, 1856. In the fall of the same year they were joined
by Thomas and Albert Haskell, and John Rust. In the early part of 1859 the colony was augmented by the arrival
of John and Noah Gibbs, William Collins and Jacob Orcutt; and in the fall of the same year by T. D. Parks, Daniel
Sayres and Jacob Haskell. From 1857 to 1867 Dover was a part of Auburn township.
TRADING POSTS AND TRADERS.
The history of the township really dates from the year 1848, when a trading post was established on its northern
boundary. A small settlement gathered there, to which the name of Uniontown was given. It became well known throughout
the country, as the old California trail of 1849 crossed the river at this point-said to be the only rocky ford
on the river. The first settlers, most of them Indian traders, were: P. E. Sarple, R. A. Kissey, O. H. P. Polk,
T. D. S. McDonald, Thomas N. Stinson and W. W. Cleghorn, in 1848; and J. R. Whitehead, J. D. Leslie and William
Dyer in 1849. John W. Brown and Anthony A. Wards lived in Uniontown in 1851, the former going to Auburn, and the
latter to Topeka in a later year. Large sums of money were disbursed at the trading post, which was abandoned in
1855. The 50 or more buildings comprising the town of Uniontown passed away with the post, and the site reverted
to farm land.