History of Monmouth Township, Kansas
From: History of Shawnee County, Kansas
and Representative Citizens.
Edited by James L. King, Topeka, Kansas
Richmond & Arnold Publishers
MONMOUTH TOWNSHIP - Originally this township belonged to the territory forming Tecumseh township, from
which it was set off in 1860. It lies directly south of Tecumseh, in the southwestern corner of the county. Charles
Matney was the first settler. He came from Tazewell County, Virginia, and settled at Westport, Missouri, where
he carried on the business of a freighter. On one of his trips across the plains he decided to change his occupation
to that of a farmer and selected a quarter section of land in what is now Monmouth township, to which he moved
August 17, 1854, bringing with him 66 head of oxen, which were used in breaking the virgin prairie. His brother,
Harry Matney, soon joined him, and in the same year other settlers arrived, including G. W. Berry, C. H. Buzzard,
James Linn, Samuel E. Thompson, Dr. N. W. Moore and L. Wentworth.
EARLY MONMOUTH SETTLERS.
The township enjoyed a good growth in 1855, some of the new settlers being W. M. Jordan, William McCutcheon,
John Morris, Hiram Shields, William and Richard Disney, J. S. Freeland, Frank Helton, R. O. Johnson, Aaron Coberly,
Charles Allen, Harris Lyons, Silas Lyons, Isaiah Cox, N. L. Williams, William Linn, John Helton, J. W. Riggs, T.
D. Kemp and Joseph Coberly. Most:of the settlers were from Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. In later years some of the
best known citizens of the township were Maj. L. J. Beam, C. A. Thresher, Jacob Coblentz, Alfred A. Disney, Emmor
England, Joseph P. Heil, Dr. H. M. Howard, Horace G. Lyons, Alexander McQuiston, Dr. Isaiah M. Tevis, H. M. Zirkle
and William A. Zirlde.