History of Rossville Township, Kansas
From: History of Shawnee County, Kansas
and Representative Citizens.
Edited by James L. King, Topeka, Kansas
Richmond & Arnold Publishers
Chicago 1905

ROSSVILLE TOWNSHIP This township lies in the extreme northwest corner of the county, and was carved out of Silver Lake township in 1871. The Kansas River forms the southern boundary of the township, and Cross Creek runs through the township north and south. The creek was first known as "Metsepa," the Indian name for Cross, the idea being suggested to the Indians by the cross formation where the creek makes a junction with the river. Rossville township was named for W. W. Ross, a Pottawatomie Indian agent in 1862.

There were white people in the boundaries of the present township in 1847-48, the records showing the names of John Barsho, Stephen McPherson, William Martell, Alexander Rodd, Francis Bargeron, Anthony Tacier, Joseph Lawton and William Nassecau. James Baldan came in 1855, and George James, George Stackhouse and Cyrus Higginbotham in 1858. Dr. R. S. Gabbey was also one of the early settlers. A river ferry was operated in 1849 by Charles Beaubien and Lotus Ogee. There were hundreds of Indians (Pottawatomies) in the vicinity of Cross Creek from 1847 to 1870. Some of the principal chiefs were Half-Day, La-Fromboise, Mazha and Wee-wee-sa.

GROWTH OF ROSSVILLE.

The Union Pacific Railroad runs across the southwestern corner of the township, and the town of Rossville is located thereon. The town was established in 1871, originally known as Edna, but early changed to correspond with the name of the township. The town company was composed of A. C. Sherman, George W. Veale, H. H. Wilcox and Fielding Johnson, all residents of Topeka. The townsite, too acres, was purchased of Anthony Navarre, a Mormon preacher, and his Indian wife, So-na-ne-qua. A. C. Sherman moved to the new town in 1871, built the first hotel, engaged in the hardware and grain business, became postmaster, and was closely identified with the business of the town for many years. He subsequently removed to Topeka, where he still resides. Other prominent business men of Rossville were: W. C. Sherman, Thomas L. Ross, S. J. Oliver, O. Leroy Sedgwick, George E. Allen, Samuel Kerr, Samuel B. Maxwell, Dr. Henry H. Miller and Dr. E. R. McIntire. Rossville was made a city of the third class in June, 1881.


Return to [ Kansas History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Illinois Biographies ]


Kansas Counties at this web site - Anderson - Atchison - Butler - Leavenworth - Lyon - Sedgwick - Shawnee

Also see the local histories for [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy