History of Soldier Township, Kansas
From: History of Shawnee County, Kansas
and Representative Citizens.
Edited by James L. King, Topeka, Kansas
Richmond & Arnold Publishers
SOLDIER TOWNSHIP - This township was erected April 20, 186o, from territory added to Shawnee County on
the north side of the river. One purpose of the addition was to preserve Topeka as the county seat by making it
a more central point in the county. The new territory was taken from Calhoun (now Jackson) County. Most of it was
Kaw Indian land and was occupied only by the Indians and half breeds down to 1848, except that there was a small
band of French settlers in the locality as early as 1840. Among these were the Papuan brothers, Joseph, Ashcan
and Louis. Louis Catalon, a nephew of the Papans, joined them in 1848, and James McPherson came the same year.
Fred Swice and George L. Young, both farmers, arrived in 1850.
ARRIVALS IN THE '50'S.
New settlers in 1854 were James Kuykendall, John Cunningham, R. J. Fulton, H. D. McMeekin, Perry Freshman. W.
S. Kuykendall, John B. Chapman, D. Milne, James A. Gray. G. P. Dorris, J. M. Hand and Charles Tipton. These early
settlers assisted in organizing Calhoun County, and some of them were the promoters of the town of Calhoun, the
first county seat. Calhoun County was originally named for John Calhoun, first Surveyor General of Kansas, but
was changed to Jackson in 1858, in honor of Andrew Jackson, and the county seat changed to Holton.
A DESERTED CITY.
The town of Indianola was started in the township in November, 1854, by H. D. McMeekin, who bought the site
from Louis View, a half breed Indian. The name of the town was borrowed from an Indianola in Texas. A rival town,
called Delaware City, was started about the same time by J. Butler Chapman. During its brief existence, Chapman's
town was known as Delaware City, Whitfield City, Kansopolis and Rochester, the last being the name finally settled
upon it. One of the first school houses in the county was built at this point, and near it was one of the depots
of John Brown's famous "Underground Railroad." The so called depot was built in 1857 by William Owen,
and was occupied for many years by Dr. Morrow. Rochester was too close to Indianola to thrive, and Indianola was
killed by the building of the railroad three miles away.