History of Tecumseh Township, Kansas
From: History of Shawnee County, Kansas
and Representative Citizens.
Edited by James L. King, Topeka, Kansas
Richmond & Arnold Publishers
TECUMSEH TOWNSHIP - This township formerly comprised all the territory in Shawnee County lying north
of the Wakarusa River, this division being made September 14, 1855. By subsequent subdivisions it was reduced to
a tract about six miles square, with Topeka on the west and Monmouth on the south, its northern boundary being
the Kansas River, and its eastern boundary the county line of Douglas County. As an agricultural and fruit growing
section, it is not surpassed in the whole State.
BIRTH OF TECUMSEH.
Col. Thomas N. Stinson was the first white man to settle in the township. He opened the first farm in 1852,
although he did not occupy it until March 20, 1853. From 1848 he lived in another part of the county, where he
was engaged as a trader among the Indians. He was married in 185o to Miss Julia Bushman, and resided at Uniontown,
later moving to the Burnett farm near Topeka, and thence to Tecumseh. Stinson had but few neighbors prior to 1854,
when a party of men moved in from Missouri. Among them were J. K. Waysman, A. D. M. Hand, H. Walker, Albert Byler,
Joshua Sartain and Nathaniel Hedrick, all on May 5, 1854. Another party came on June 1st of that year, including
David Copeland, James Herron, Reuben Low, John Homer, Rev. J. B. Stateler, Thornton B. Hays and Francis Grassmuck.
TECUMSEH'S BRIGHT PROSPECT.
The town of Tecumseh is the oldest in the county, once the seat of the county government, the scene of many
important events in the State's history and a strong candidate for the State capital. The name perpetuates that
of the noted Shawnee Indian chief, who led his braves in the battle of Tippecanoe, and met death in the battle
of the Thames. The Tecumseh townsite covered 8o acres taken from the Stinson farm and 24o acres pre-empted for
town purposes. The survey was made August 15, 1854, by C. C. Spalding. Most of the men interested in the town,
whose names follow, were from the south: Thomas N. Stinson, J. M. Hunter, Samuel H. Woodson, and Abram Comings,
from Missouri; Rush Elmore and Albert Elmore, from Alabama; J. W. Whitfield, from Tennessee; S. W. Johnson, from
Ohio; A. H. Reeder, Territorial Governor, from Pennsylvania; and Andrew J. Isaacks, Territorial Attorney General,
DECAY OF THE TOWN.
For her future progress Tecumseh was forced to rely upon the temporary advantage of being the county seat, and
this soon precipitated a clash with Topeka, the Pro Slavery faction supporting Tecumseh and the Free State men
standing by Topeka. Tecumseh was at the height of her prosperity in 1858, and stood a lusty rival of Topeka in
all the arts of politics and trade. But Kansas and all her institutions were destined to be free, and this sentiment,
coupled with the jealousy of other towns in the neighborhood, finally located the county seat at Topeka.