History of Topeka Township, Kansas
From: History of Shawnee County, Kansas
and Representative Citizens.
Edited by James L. King, Topeka, Kansas
Richmond & Arnold Publishers
TOPEKA TOWNSHIP - The territory comprising Topeka township belonged in 1855 to Yocum township, which
then included all the territory in the country lying south of the Wakarusa River. The name Yocum was dropped February
23, 1857, when the county was subdivided into five townships, Topeka being one of them. Additional territory and
later subdivisions gave it its present boundaries, from the Kansas River south to Williamsport, with Tecumseh on
the east and Mission on the west Soldier being the opposite township on the north side of the river.
SETTLERS IN TOPEKA TOWNSHIP.
Later settlers arrived in the following order: Horatio Cox, May 5, 1854; Anthony Ward, June 1; Robert Matthews,
July 15; J. Jondron, A. Beringer, Isaac Edwards, L. Bivard and D. Chilson, about July 25; Gilbert Billard, Charles
Sardou and Fred Vascalders, August 28; John Long, Thomas Warren, J. R. Warren, H. McConnell and James McConnell,
October 10. The Warrens, father and son, were from Kentucky. Thomas Warren, the elder, became loo years of age
in 1870, and visited the Kansas Legislature on his centennial birthday anniversary, receiving a special welcome
at the hands of the Speaker pro tem, Hon. John Guthrie. Warren died in 1874, at the remarkable age of 104 years.
Those who settled in the township in the year 1855, as nearly as can be determined, were the following: John
Ritchie, J. C. Miller, W. W. Ross, J. C. Jordan, H. W. Curtis, Charles Farnsworth, L. W. Home, R. A. Randlett,
O. C. Nichols, S. D. Conwell, B. F. Dawson, C. A. Sexton, Henry Cowles, John Perrin, Rev. Henry Burgess, Charles
Frazier, C. A. Dexter, W. H. Weymouth, Daniel Sayres, Ephraim Herriott, Horatio Fletcher, Samuel Herriott, Daniel
Banta, H. Higgins, Johnston Thomas, King Smith, Antoine Bernier, H. Tyrrell, A. H. Barnard, Robert Todd, Dr. M.
A. E. J. Campdoras, Henry Griffin, C. Durupt, Isaac Renfrew, J. Willetts, J. W. Jones. C. D. Howard, L. H. Wentworth,
Robert Gilbert, D. Sheridan, James Goodrich, E. C. K. Garvey, F. L. Crane, James Chadwick, Dean Chadwick, C. C.
Leonard, C. L. Terrill, Moses Dudley, J. Orcutt, William Scales, H. P. Waters, James G. Bunker, James McNamee,
J. F. Cummins, Isaac Zimmerman, Loring Farnsworth, E. Seagraves, Abner Doane, A. M. Lewis, Guilford Dudley, John
R. Lewis, George F. Boyd, D. Mintum, J. D. Clarkson. James Taggart, L. C. Wilmarth, A. G. Thompson, Gabriel Wright,
J. C. Gordon, Asaph Allen, James Disney, Moses Hubbard, P. R. Hubbard, Eugene Dumez, P. O. O'Connor, E. S. Parker,
Jesse Stone, O. H. Drinkwater, Samuel Hall, Leonard Wendell, A. F. Whiting, W. E. Bowker, S. N. Frasier, M. C.
Martin, William P. Thompson, David H. Moore, W. W. Henderson, William Gibbons. M. K. Smith, A. F. Hartwell, David
Smith, Charles L. Wilbur, G. B. French, E. Trask, August Roberts, H. C. Young, Nelson Young, James Cowles, R. M.
Luce, F. T. Tucker, Richard Gustine, Henry P. Waters, Gerard C. Hooft, S. Ly ford and W. W. Phillips.
Topeka, the county seat and capital city, is located in Topeka township. No other city or town has ever been
erected in the township, every attempt in that direction having proved a failure, or resulted in adding a suburb
to the big city, as in the cases of Oakland, Seabrook, Auburndale and Potwin. Of the towns projected near Topeka
at different periods, the following names are given as a matter of record, the places having long since faded from
sight - almost from memory: Fremont, Paris, Washington, Council City, Glendale, Carthage, Kenamo and Mairsville.