History of Williamsport Township, Kansas
From: History of Shawnee County, Kansas
and Representative Citizens.
Edited by James L. King, Topeka, Kansas
Richmond & Arnold Publishers
WILLIAMSPORT TOWNSHIP - This township lies in the southern part of the county, with Monmouth on the east
and Auburn on the west, the southern limit extending to the Osage County line. It is watered by the Wakarusa River
and Six Mile Creek. The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway runs through the township, north and south, and
the Missouri Pacific cuts across the northeastern corner. Williamsport became a separate township April 20, 186o,
being detached from Auburn. Rev. Robert Simmerville, a missionary in charge of the Baptist mission, was the first
known settler. For the benefit of the Pottawatomie Indians he made a translation of the New Testament into their
language. He built a cabin and a blacksmith shop in the township in 1854. His arrival was on the 13th of August
of that year, and the second settler, Joseph Drenan, arrived August 14th.
On the 26th of the same month and year, two cousins of the name of William Matney arrived. William Coker, Dr.
Jesse D. Woods, Joseph Herald and Dr. C. Lykins came in the same year. In 1855 the accessions were: William Yocum,
J. Babcock, J. Carroll. H. At Sharp, Isaac Baxter, Samuel Allen, Joseph Lykins, Robert Gault, Robert Todd, William
Armstrong and J. G. Zimmerman. James Young and H. K. Winans arrived in 1856, and in the following year came Seth
Todd, Edgar Winans, R. Buttles, D. Kilby, Chester Thomas, Sr., Daniel, Fred, and Cyrus Fultz, Rev. Monfort, Dr.
A. J. Huntoon, Joel Huntoon, J. Nelson, L. Buttles, J. M. Waugh, T. U. Thompson, John Cunningham, T. H. Lescher,
Simon Hawk and Mr. Curtis.