OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
DESCRIPTIVE AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF
PREPARED AND PUBLISHED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF
FALL RIVER NEWS
WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF
HON. ALANSON BORDEN
OF NEW BEDFORD
THE BOSTON HISTORY COMPANY, PUBLISHERS
Retyped for the web by Stephanie Anderson
Dighton. - This was the eighth town formed in Bristol county, it having been set off from Taunton
an incorporated on the 30th of May 1712. It has passed through several minor territorial changes, the first of
which took off a part for the formation of Berkley on April 18, 1735. On March 2, 1743, the bounds of the town
were reported by a committee. January 8, 1745, the bounds were established. On February 26, 1799, a small part
was annexed to Berkley, and on June 9, 1814, the north part was set off as the town of Wellington. On February
12, 1824, the bounds between Dighton and Wellington were established and a small part annexed to Wellington. On
February 22, 1826, Dighton and Wellington were reunited as Dighton and the act was accepted on February 26 of that
year. On April 4, 1854, a small part was annexed to Somerset, leaving the town with its present area. The census
of 1895 gives the population as 1,797, and the number of registered voters in 1897 was 398. It constitutes a part
of the Twelfth Congressional District, and with Berkley and the First and Sixth wards of Taunton forms the Fifth
Representative District, with 2,237 legal voters, entitling the district to one representative. The town has four
post-offices, namely, Dighton, North Dighton, West Dighton, and Segreganset. It is centrally situated in the county
and is bounded on the north by Taunton and Rehoboth, on the east by Berkley, on the south by Somerset and on the
west by Rehoboth.
Dighton village, or South Dighton, has a post-office, three churches (Methodist, Baptist and Unitarian), three
stores, two hay, grain and coal dealers, a wagon maker, a stove lining works, established many years ago by Gideon
Francis; a color works now operated by Mason, Chapin & Co., of Providence; and a stove foundry which has been
in operation nearly ten years. Former merchants in this village were E. F. Andrews, Charles E. Whitmarsh, and his
father at a still earlier period, Allen Ingalls, William Phillips and H. N. Walker. A newspaper is published called
the Dighton Rock, which is one of several printed in Fall River by Samuel E. Fiske and circulated in various towns.
It has already been stated that Dighton was a port of entry an had a custom house until 1834, when it was removed
to Fall River. A considerable cotton manufacturing industry existed here in early years, and ship-building was
carried onto some extent. The old Dighton Universalist Church was organized in the latter part of the last century
and the church building still standing was dedicated in 1802.
North Dighton is a small village in the extreme northeast part of the town, a part of which is in the First ward
of Taunton, the several industries of which have been described. There was formaly a cupola furnace here, which
is not now in operation. The Dighton furnace Company has an important industry, and the paper mill of L. Lincoln
& Co. does a large business. The North Dighton Co-operative Stove Foundry was incorporated in 1886. There are
four churches, Baptist, Congregational, Catholic and Methodist. There are two stores and blacksmith and wagon shops.
West Dighton is a small settlement in the west part of the town, with post-office, a Baptist church and two stores.
Segreganset is a new post-office near Berkley station, on the railroad; it has no business interests. For many
years a wooden bridge has spanned Taunton River from Berkley to Dighton, which was superseded by a fine structure
in 1897. The farming community is very largely engaged in strawberry growing for the Boston market and many foreigners
have taken up the poorer lands of the town in recent years.