Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was incorporated in 1765. During the French and Indian wars, this being one of the frontier towns,
it was open to their ravages, in the limits of this town were three garrisons, Taylor's, Rice's, and Hawk's. These
were of a cordon of fortifications projected by Col. Williams in the year 1754. These works were either mounts,
a diminutive kind of block-house, or stockaded dwelling-houses, bearing the names of the resident families, defensible
only against musketry. In June, 1755, as a party of people were at work in a meadow in the upper part of Charlemont,
near Rice's fort, they were attacked by a party of Indians; Captain Rice and Phineas Rice were killed, and Titus
King, and Asa Rice, a lad, were captured, conveyed to Crown Point, and from thence to Canada. King was some time
afterward carried to France, then to England, and from thence he returned to Northampton, his native place. The
Congregational church in this town was organized in Jutie, 1788; the Rev. Isaac Babbit, the first Congregational
minister, was settled here in 1796; he resigned in 1798. He was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Field, who resigned in
1823. The next minister, Rev. Wales Tileston, was settled in 1825; he resigned in 1837.
The above is an eastern view in the central part of Charlemont, showing the Baptist and Methodist churches; 17
miles from Greenfield, 16 from Adams, 55 from Troy, N. Y., and about 104 from Boston. The Baptist church is the
nearest building in the view, having six windows on the southern side; the Methodist church, a small building.
is seen farther northward; it has a tower, and stands on an elevation of ground. There is a little village northward
of these churches, which is but partially seen in the engraving. The highest mountainous elevation, seen in the
distance, is called Mount Peak, and is upwards of 1000 feet in height. Deerfield river, which flows at the foot
of this elevation, winds through the whole length of the town. High hills and mountainous elevations in many places
rise immediately from its banks, affording many views of picturesque and delightful scenery. Agriculture is the
principal business of the inhabitants. In 1837, there were 3,355 merino sheep, and 1,398 of other kinds; the value
of wool produced, $7,460. Population of the town, 994. In 1838, a large proportion of an unincorporated tract of
mountainous and broken Land, called Zoar, with few inhabitants, on the western border of the town, was, by an act
of the legislature, added to this town.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.