Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THE territory comprising this town was an unincorporated tract, called Ervingís Grant, lying on the north bank
of Millerís river, bounded north by Northfield and Warwick. It was incorporated as a town in 1838. A Congregational
church was organized here five or six years since, but there never has been any minister settled in the place.
At this time the inhabitants meet occasionally in a school-house for public worship. In the Statistical Tables
published by the state, it is stated that in Ervingís Grant there was 1 woollen mill, which manufactured 25,600
yards of satinet, valued at $16,640; 12 hands, 6 male and 6 female, were employed; capital invested, $7,000. Two
thousand and fifty pairs of boots and 744 pairs of shoes were manufactured, valued at $4,345. Population in 1837
was 292. There is a post office in the town. Distance, 10 miles east from Greenfield, and 85 miles from Boston.
Historical Collections Relating to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.